• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Remko_K

Today I wanted to change a setting on my Logitech Harmony, basically a button to go to the HDMI ARC of the M33. To do this I had to take the HTRM 2 "brick/remote" that I did not use before. How does this even work? I can use the remote only for a few basic functions, mainly control the volume (up/down/mute), control BluOS (pause/play/next/..) and toggle speakers. But how do I change inputs? Could use some help here.
To change inputs with the supplied HTRM 2 remote control:
  • press 1 for Line In
  • press 1 followed by 2 for BluOS (handy to continue with your playlist from the track where you left off).
I found this out myself. It is not documented anywhere. As far as I know, selecting other inputs, like HDMI, is impossible.

For HDMI, which I use most often for watching television (or films via television) I use the automatic detection mode: If I turn on my TV, the NAD will turn on as well. This also has the advantage that the volume can be controlled with the remote of the tv. Since the supplied NAD remote only works if held in front of the tv, I cannot use it from my dinner table. The angle is too large then. But not for the remote of the tv! So I use the latter for volume control when my tv is on.

pogo

Major Contributor
As far as I know, selecting other inputs, like HDMI, is impossible.
That's not correct.
I can use the numeric keypad and the arrow up/down to select my sources, including HDMI (HDM2)! However, I have also hidden unused inputs.

bvhme

My M33 wouldn't go to sleep. Turned out that if my turntable is connected the device cannot go into standby, even if it is not selected. :(

pogo

Major Contributor
And here now the bridge mode extension for the M33, the NAD M23:
Link

Last edited:

janbth

That's not correct.
I can use the numeric keypad and the arrow up/down to select my sources, including HDMI (HDM2)! However, I have also hidden unused inputs.
Hello ASR creatures, this is my first post!

I own an M33 and I have the same problem: I´m not able to select HDMI as input source from the remote control. I have hidden all unused sources, but HDMI still doesn´t appear in the list. Cycling through arrow ups doesn´t work. I need to use the BluOS app on my phone to select this source, which is obviously a nuisance.

@pogo, do you have any MDC-modules installed in your unit?

pogo

Major Contributor
I have just verified it again. The already installed one is really not selectable via the RC at this time.

Last edited:

Remko_K

That's correct. I asked the people of the audio shop where I bought my M33 if they were able to select HDMI with the remote control. They did not succeed. I raised the issue to NAD Electronics. I first got the reply that I could make use of IR learning. I pointed out that IR learning is available for the M10, but unfortunately NOT for the M33 (one of the very few aspects where the M10 scores higher than the M33). Subsequently I got this reply:

After speaking with our engineering team regarding your specific issue they have notified me that they are working towards having this change implemented. Our engineering team will be looking into this further and be providing a fix for this issue in a future firmware update. Unfortunately, we here in technical support are not provided a timeline on future development and releases so I can not say for certain when this update will become available. However, rest assured that our engineering team will be doing everything they can to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Thalassophile

That's correct. I asked the people of the audio shop where I bought my M33 if they were able to select HDMI with the remote control. They did not succeed. I raised the issue to NAD Electronics. I first got the reply that I could make use of IR learning. I pointed out that IR learning is available for the M10, but unfortunately NOT for the M33 (one of the very few aspects where the M10 scores higher than the M33). Subsequently I got this reply:
It's a pity that all phones and portable music players do not have an IR sensor, and that universal remote apps are so shaky. At this stage of the game, there really should be no reason to rely on a clunky remote at all. The pursuit of slimness and lack of a universal industry standard has capped the promise of truly integrated devices that are on the same network. So close.

Last edited:

Stefan

And here now the bridge mode extension for the M33, the NAD M23:
Link
Now the M23 is officially included in the NAD website, but still without manual. How is one supposed to link both NADs? Go from unbalanced RCA Pre Out of the M33 to the RCA into the M23?
That‘s poor, given that the M23 has balanced XLR inputs…

bvhme

Yeah, the lack of balanced outs on the M33 is a real mystery. However if the units are close together an RCA connection shouldn't be an issue.

I see photos of them next to each other, however a stack might make more sense in my mind, I wonder if that is some kind of no-no.

I'm guessing that getting one of these wouln't make any sense to drive my Kef R11s, as they are recommended for up to 300w, not this 700w the bridged duo would give. Although I do sometimes wish my setup would go just a bit louder, the 3 times increase is overkill.

Attachments

• 20220119185915_2022-01-19_NAD_M23andM33_Lifestyle01_(900x682).jpg
    20220119185915_2022-01-19_NAD_M23andM33_Lifestyle01_(900x682).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 124

pogo

Major Contributor
Go from unbalanced RCA Pre Out of the M33 to the RCA into the M23?
I don't really see a problem with RCA, but I see the following possibilities:
- NAD 'inverts' the second unused RCA pre-out channel in bridge mode, so there would be a balanced output
- NAD releases an MDC module with balanced pre-out

Last edited:

Stefan

I see photos of them next to each other, however a stack might make more sense in my mind, I wonder if that is some kind of no-no.
I don't think so. Even watching movies like DUNE with loudness set at about -15dB, the M33 did not heat up beyond the temperature of my hands.

Stefan

I don't really see a problem with RCA [...]
Which is kind of theoretical anyway, because we don't know if the amplification stage in the M23 or M33 is completely balanced...

Stefan

As I have reported in another thread about DL problems, I updated both BluOS on the M33 and DL and I am very happy with the result and the state being:

But still, the problem of distortion we talked about in this thread when DL is enabled with 1 or 2 subwoofers selected still persists (at least in my system).

Stefan

And by the way, the cloudy sound is also no longer present for me with DL enabled.
This I can confirm. Definitely improved with DL 3.2.1 and BluOS 3.16.2.

steveoat87

I have an M33. I don't know if anyone has had this experience, but I have both the USB and HDMI modules and you are unable to install them together. Apparently they mis-specked the backplate of the USB module making it so that you can use on or the other, but not both at the same time (you can't fit each of them into the two module spaces). They were supposed to correct this by releasing a new backplate, but I have heard nothing about this. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Top Bottom