• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

dguillor

Forum Donor
Hopefully, the Qudelix 5k shows the future of $100-$200 Desktop DAC/Amps. Topping, Schitt, JDS, SMSL, Geshelli et al only need to provide PEQ, reconstruction filter selection, balanced/unbalanced, sample rate selection, digital volume control, etc. and Android/IOS Apps to control via simultaneous bt.

Do this while retaining their current 110-120 SINADs and 1 watt plus outputs, and they will have obsoleted their current products and created a nice new market for themselves...

Perhaps it will also provide a wake-up call to miniDSP to finally provide Android/IOS Apps for their devices as well. Their continuing to require a PC to off-line download control parameters reeks obsolescence, and leaves them wide open for a new competitor in their DSP space..
I have one of these on order to use with headphones, but, if I am happy with the sound and ease of use, I will get another to replace an Audioengine BT receiver and miniDSP HD in my main system because I like the reliability of less cables/connectors and the ease of use of the app for control. Exciting times!

dguillor

Forum Donor
Each ES9218p channel has current limit at about 45mA, hence 50 * 0,045 * 2 = 4,5V p-p (~1,6V rms) →1,6^2 / 50 = 51,2mW Pretty darn close, right?
Balanced connection (also called bridge-tied load (BTL)) gives you twice more Voltage and Current, if done right. Hence 4x Power → 51,2 x 4 = 205

1024px-Ohms_law_wheel_WVOA.svg.png
Each ES9218p channel has current limit at about 45mA, hence 50 * 0,045 * 2 = 4,5V p-p (~1,6V rms) →1,6^2 / 50 = 51,2mW Pretty darn close, right?
Balanced connection (also called bridge-tied load (BTL)) gives you twice more Voltage and Current, if done right. Hence 4x Power → 51,2 x 4 = 205

1024px-Ohms_law_wheel_WVOA.svg.png
So, it doesn’t deliver 4Vrms!

dguillor

Forum Donor
I am having a fun time with this device, with an old Sennheiser HD-580 and the cheap Koss UR29. The EQ sounds right.

poimandres

Picked up one of these from Amazon sold by Qudelix, it didn’t come in a plastic bag (as most unboxings show) and the one corner of the box was slightly dog eared but the seals were still in place.

Really enjoying this using Bluetooth to my iPhone. So many options, with Oratory’s settings my Elegia’s (balanced using meze’s copper cables) sound really good, although I have to turn the volume up louder than without having the Oratory settings. Is there an easy way to turn the settings off?

What filter is everyone using?

dguillor

Forum Donor
Picked up one of these from Amazon sold by Qudelix, it didn’t come in a plastic bag (as most unboxings show) and the one corner of the box was dog eared but the seals were still in place.

Really enjoying this using Bluetooth to my iPhone. So many options, with Oratory’s settings my Elegia’s (balanced using meze’s copper cables) sound really good, although I have to turn the volume up louder than without having the Oratory settings. Is there an easy way to turn the settings off?

What filter is everyone using?
DSP tab
DSP tab
enable switch

poimandres

Thank you. I would have to volume match however I think I prefer it with eq off. Too many options, enough to drive myself crazy.

Curious if I would notice any sq improvements plugged in vs Bluetooth.

Kaspers

Since fw v1.12.1 I’m facing problems when using the 5K via USB on my iPhone 12 Pro. When switching apps or skipping to next song, the current playing audio drops and results in pausing the audio. More people experiencing this issue since updating the fw? I’ve disabled Bluetooth entirely, to make sure it is not happening due to Bluetooth interference (like auto switching to bt input).

mysiak

Since fw v1.12.1 I’m facing problems when using the 5K via USB on my iPhone 12 Pro. When switching apps or skipping to next song, the current playing audio drops and results in pausing the audio. More people experiencing this issue since updating the fw? I’ve disabled Bluetooth entirely, to make sure it is not happening due to Bluetooth interference (like auto switching to bt input).
It seems that there is some issue while using Qudelix via USB - https://www.qudelix.com/pages/forum...to-any-source-via-usb-12224986?pid=1331467312

In each case, let Qudelix know, they are usually very responsive in bug fixes.

Mokal

Does anyone know does this work with high ohm (300) headphones, for example, Sennheiser 6XX?

mSpot

Does anyone know does this work with high ohm (300) headphones, for example, Sennheiser 6XX?
It will drive a Sennheiser 6XX adequately (especially on balanced output), but for high volume and dynamics you may want a more powerful amplifier.

Reed

Received my Qudelix 5k two days ago. It’s driving a Sennheiser 58X. Using Oratory preset for now (three available for 58X). Really enjoying this. Great sound and value, especially compared to my Dragonfly Red. I hope that the leading desktop manufacturers start including PEQ in their DACs. This little amp shows the way.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Received my Qudelix 5k two days ago. It’s driving a Sennheiser 58X. Using Oratory preset for now (three available for 58X).

Quick observation : these are the AutoEQ profiles (this project : https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq) automatically generated from Oratory's measurements, not Oratory's own profile, which you'll find in that list and will have to enter manually : https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

That should provide another starting point for fiddling with the presets :D.

schomin

Is anyone aware of a place that has these in stock currently? Looks like both Amazon and the Qudelix website are out of stock.

Phoney

So I got this some days ago and I really like the app! There is however a lot of options, and I'm not sure if I sent everything at the best option for my use. I am using this primarily for my Denon AH-D7200 (25 ohm, 105 db sensitivity). I put performance and output power at high, and I also set the Oratory eq for Denon on both my standard setup and this one. I firstly noticed that the Denon bass didn't feel as present on the Qudelix. I eq'ed the high frequencies down which indirectly boosts bass a bit and also gives more headroom from higher preamp setting and it helped a bit. But I tried to switch to my standard setup with the same eq settings and the bass felt better, also the sound felt slightly cleaner in general. I expected it to be pretty much the same. I just don't know whether it's imaginatory, if I'm not using the optimal settings, or if the difference in equipment actually matters in this case.

Standard setup: Topping D30Pro and Schiit Jotunheim 2 (USB, balanced XLR cables, and XLR headphone cable at low gain setting)
Qudelix 5K: 6.3mm headphone cable with 3.5mm adapter from Grado. Bluetooth, Sony codec ldac with android phone. I have ordered a 2.5mm cable but I'm not sure if that will make a significant difference..

Anyone know if theres anything here that could be the reason outside of just imagination? I do think that I already have more than enough headroom.

Last edited:

IoYajGahju

Hi!
A quick question (maybe to @amirm if he has time) - does having it permanently plugged in (used effectively as a desktop amp) affect performance?

As in, does having battery charged during playback introduce additional noise or some other weird problems?

Had some audible weirdness with that from old battery-capable Fiio (probably charging circuit being shenanigans, especially since the battery was half-dead) so would very very appreciate if someone could kindly check for that on this unit

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
does having it permanently plugged in (used effectively as a desktop amp) affect performance?

As in, does having battery charged during playback introduce additional noise or some other weird problems?

I haven't noticed any detrimental effect of that kind. I advise however to limit charging the battery to 80% (in the app's settings) if it stays connected to power at all time to preserve battery life.

mysiak

Hi!
A quick question (maybe to @amirm if he has time) - does having it permanently plugged in (used effectively as a desktop amp) affect performance?

Had some audible weirdness with that from old battery-capable Fiio (probably charging circuit being shenanigans, especially since the battery was half-dead) so would very very appreciate if someone could kindly check for that on this unit

From the official manual, device was designed to be used connected all the time and in theory should keep working even with faulty battery.

1642498385369.png

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z7sMD4v_8P1zYGW7-hrHvHVJRdm-3bQA/view

Top Bottom