• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

MrHifiTunes

At various times you have stated that you want to understand why some listeners enjoy the WATT despite its clear measured flaws.
Did I ? I do want to understand their design...not for judging someone option but for educational reason for myself.
Many posters have explained why your presumptions were incorrect,
I dont see many yet. so far 2 people gave some good input why it is faulty and one is agreeing. But maybe I missed some...If you blink your eyes you are already 5 pages behind here :)
but somehow you keep coming back to them and seem to want to attribute some genius to WA engineers that are not supported by any facts in evidence.
I dont claim that WA are geniuses...dont know where you get that from. I think the are just as good or bad like any other manufacturer out there.
What I do seek is : For me the graph of the individual drivers plot doesnt look like a normal XO design we know. Looks like they had a different approach. hence the question to know the view of others.
Also some DIY-ers have different approach eg. I saw someone who balance out the wobbly tweeter FR with the cabinet diffraction. Different approach...good/bad, I dont know...
Remember, if you are going to make such a claim, at the very least you need to have some objective supporting evidence to validate your claim. Let's go over some facts:
Like I said I dont claim anything just trying to figure out their design. I mange to replicate their FR response...but I do not manage to get their directivity response to fill in the energy in the right places. SO I think Im not on the right track.

Maybe someone can do some reverse engineering of this design.

Once we know their design, we can estimate which design trade-offs they bring.
Then you can decide if they made the right choices for their design to meet their design-goals. (Im not interested in that, my goal is to learn and understand)
How more objective can you be?

As you know every decision you make in your designs is a trade-off. It is about finding the right balance and bring out those things which are most important to you.
It's like a spagetti...you pull one string and it start moving in places you didnt expect.

From the replication i try to make of their design, i saw when i go to far in one direction, linear phase and group delay start to become un acceptable. But like I mention before, im sure my design doesnt match theirs. (and I do can make a flat FR...but not what they did)

I dont care which brand we talk about here and which price point. Im interested to learn about the science behind their approach in designing.

Amir did not state the speakers were good without eq
True. I never questioned that did I? But look where he EQ. 1 for the bass bump then 1 around the resonance at 700Hz. and 1 at 5k. All where the in-room response is above the theoretical line. He didnt do anything about the 1-3k region where you have the big FR dips. (and someone mention that "we"only EQ bumps and not dips, but there are exaples where he did EQ dips.)
Amir did not state that even with eq, the tonality of the WATT was superior or equal to any number of far cheaper and better measuring speakers.

Amir did express a preference for the eq'd WATT against a very good measuring and 1/5 the cost Revel.
Amir stated that he preferred the highs and bass of the eq'd WATT.
I dont think he liked the highs. I think he called it showroom bright? But need to go back to the review to be sure.

Any reasonable assumptions of preference of this speaker over the WATT would require a blind test, and preferably using trained evaluators
Dr. Toole's research tells him that evaluators should be young (20-40s?). Dr Toole, stoped participating in evaluations yrs ago despite being a VERY experienced tester because he considers his hearing flawed due to age.
I do think that a blind test would make us a lot wiser. I mentioned it before ....
Amir is in his 60's, his high frequency hearing is surely compromised. Is it reliable to 13KHz, 15KHz? I have no idea, but I certainly would not assume his hearing is discerning enough to evaluate speakers above 14KHz. His preference for the highs in the WATT could quite easily be related to limitations in his hearing at high frequencies (i.e. exaggerated highs will give a better sense of detail as opposed to a feeling of being exaggerated)
Im not interested above 10k...the interesting part in this design is what is happening at 1-3k.
Lastly, Amir like many listeners has expressed a liking for speakers that exhibit better dynamic range. The WATT has decent distortion figures and has a better dynamic range than the Revel's UT. A preference for dynamic range explains Amir's preference of the WATT over the Revel's far better than any of the magical explanations you seem to be seeking. A more interesting comparison would likely have been with the JBL 4349. It is a larger (and uglier for some) speaker than the WATT, but the latter cost at least 33% more. It is also flawed from some metrics' perspectives, but they exhibit excellent dynamic range.
Well if the dynamics are there in the recording, if one is seeking true transparency it should bring out those dynamics swings no?
Here are Amir's impressions of the 4349:

"Beyond the bass the impression of the two speakers was so different. The salon 2 was producing a smooth, highly integrated sound column. The 4349 seemed to have a dual character where it would be come extremely lively with high frequency dynamics. This was super pleasurable but less refined than Salon 2's reserved but excellent reproduction. My thought during the whole affair was that you really wanted both of these speakers and use them based on mood and music.
This is one of few good sounding speakers that don't have the "Revel sound" to me. It is a different way of solving the same problem...
I hardly ever come home from a show thinking of replacing my speakers with anything I see there. The only exception was a set of large horn speakers that had dynamics that I could not replicate with my Salon 2s. The 4349 allowed me to get there and so points to high efficiency mattering. People routinely underestimate how much power it takes to reproduce dynamics well. Even my high power amplifier struggles to push the Salon 2 there. But with 4349, that struggle disappeared with a bunch of headroom left."

Nothing about the measurements suggests anything magical about the design of the WATT (or that it has elevated audio engineering in any fashion). The preferences expressed by Amir and DWI are easily explained without resorting to pretzel logic. Occam's razor clearly applies here unless there is some significant evidence to suggest otherwise.

Although I don't share DWI's view of WA, I find some posters attributions to him (e.g. intent, taste, faculties to make decisions [i.e. you gotta be a moron to choose the WATT over my preferred 1K speaker] extremely presumptuous, unfair (they have nowhere near the facts necessary to make any judgments about him or his choices), and quasi psychotic (i.e. if you don't see the world as I do, and judge as I do, then you are found wanting in a very substantial way).

Well, I am pretty sure I have offended a few already, so perhaps this is a good time to stop. Happy New Year.
Well I dont know there to place your comment. I responded to everyone out of respect and the time they took to answer my questions/thoughts same here.

Apart from knowing Amir preferences and hearing limitations I dont get much from this. Maybe Im missing it, then im sorry.

Like I mention before im into the science behind this speaker.
Trying to learn and understand. I dont care about the brand or price.

Maybe some can do the reverse engineering. in vuitixcad you can make simulations with "perfect" drivers so you're not tweaking on driver anomalies. I know many DIY-ers did this on commercial speakers and came pretty close.

MrHifiTunes

Flat: look.
directivity: Look bis

The poor design : Wilson against the well design : Neumann.
But here we look at everyting individualy...
Their estimated in-room is flat/flatish? That the end result you listen too right.

I think it is right to look at individual components which lead to the end result.
When Amir test A DAC he also measure in and out....don't care what is going on in between.

All those things are related to each other and contribute to the final end result.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
You ask a question and you dodge.

The in-room response is a prediction with out reliability.
A speaker is made to be used in any room and not in a specific room.
The room is the most important factor.
In industry, you define and manufacture a product so that it is usable by a creditworthy customer in an unfamiliar environment. This implies compliance with certain design rules such as the response as flat as possible in anechoic condition.
Neumann like many others is able to do this.
Wilson cannot.

The question of Toto or Donald's personal preferences only concerns Toto or Donald and are only psychosomatic considerations.

Wilson for the price does not know how to make qualitative speakers but he knows how to sell them well.
Cable sellers act in the same way

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, try convincing people that bigger is better regarding speakers, it seems to be a hard sell.

It is only my opinion and it isn't my site, so Amir can do what he wants, but I don't understand the point of testing endless iterations of dome tweeter + 5" woofer, whether expensive or not; we know these speakers will not reproduce bass properly nor reach decent SPL levels unless you are sitting 1m away, so wouldn't it be better to move on to more interesting designs?

One interesting design I can think of that I'd like to see tested is the Mackie HR824 mk2, it has 8" driver + passive radiator and likely has decent SPL output. This has the potential to be the best in its size and price class.

I also think that putting time and energy into ultra low end speakers like Amazon Basics is a waste of time. Who buys such a speaker and has the equipment to measure and EQ it in room? If they have that gear, then they have more money for a better speaker. I would rather see more interesting and relevant equipment measured TBH.
I agree with you BUT keep in mind that it is Amir who drags around the speakers. Large heavy speakers and the practical aspect of it all. That is where I think the explanation lies.

DanielT

Major Contributor
My point was more in line with where you draw the line between good and bad.
eg for DAC on say that if noise is down -120db is not audible anymore.

How flat is flat?
what is wobbly directivity and what is not...
etc...

Dont know if there is some documentation about it.
120 dB ... ho ho. Merry Christmas. We are talking speakers that in most cases have audible distortion (depending a lot on how high volume you have).

Around 5-10% distortion, perhaps, for a subwoffer may be acceptable (for the lowest frequencies). And yes, many sub have higher distortion than that.

On top of that it depends on how sensitive you are. You hear when it gets cloudy, sharp unplesent sound, muddy bass, not exactly sound, when you want to turn down the volume instead of turning it up because it becomes "hard for the ear".
That was speaker, an amplifier that is driven into clipping (distortion) sounds too damn bad so you can not miss that.

By the way. Speakers can have straight FR and high distortion and vice versa uneven FR and low distortion.

Although a nice tube amp in overdrive, with distortion is yummy. On recordings that is.:)

Edit:
Hm, there are apps for that many different things nowadays. There should be apps where you can test at what level things become audible? A new thread?

Last edited:

MrHifiTunes

120 dB ... ho ho. Merry Christmas. We are talking speakers that in most cases have audible distortion (depending a lot on how high volume you have).

Around 5-10% distortion, perhaps, for a subwoffer may be acceptable (for the lowest frequencies). And yes, many sub have higher distortion than that.

On top of that it depends on how sensitive you are. You hear when it gets cloudy, sharp unplesent sound, muddy bass, not exactly sound, when you want to turn down the volume instead of turning it up because it becomes "hard for the ear".
That was speaker, an amplifier that is driven into clipping (distortion) sounds too damn bad so you can not miss that.

By the way. Speakers can have straight FR and high distortion and vice versa uneven FR and low distortion.

Although a nice tube amp in overdrive, with distortion is yummy. On recordings that is.:)

Yes speakers have higher distortion then DAC's.

The point was, how flat, flat has to be. How much tolerance we have on each parameter and end result.

I just made the comparison with DAC's to make that point. -120 noise floor is accept as in-audible and so the reference target. (as the industry can reach that level nowadays.)

DanielT

Major Contributor

The point was, how flat, flat has to be. How much tolerance we have on each parameter and end result.

I just made the comparison with DAC's to make that point. -120 noise floor is accept as in-audible and so the reference target. (as the industry can reach that level nowadays.)
And where does it come from? You can test:

MrHifiTunes

You ask a question and you dodge.

The in-room response is a prediction with out reliability.
Is it? it is repeatable just like any other measurement. Is FR response then more reliable? You also don't hear this in a real room.
It is our framework to which we compare. One opted here that Amir should make in room measurements. But what will that teach us? nothing more then the in-room response we have.
A speaker is made to be used in any room and not in a specific room.
The room is the most important factor.
In industry, you define and manufacture a product so that it is usable by a creditworthy customer in an unfamiliar environment. This implies compliance with certain design rules such as the response as flat as possible in anechoic condition.
That is the standard textbook yes. Did you try to copy their wobbly on axis and directivity to make a smooth in-room in a simulationo? I did and can not replicate it. I do can make a reasonable flat FR and reasonable smooth directivity.
Neumann like many others is able to do this.
Wilson cannot.

The question of Toto or Donald's personal preferences only concerns Toto or Donald and are only psychosomatic considerations.
Absolutely...this doesnt bring us anything but seems many like to fill pages with it. Everybody his/her hobby I guess.
Wilson for the price does not know how to make qualitative speakers but he knows how to sell them well.
Cable sellers act in the same way
Can be, I dont know and I dont care....I make my own judgement on what and how much i like to spent.

MrHifiTunes

And where does it come from? You can test:

I don't understand what you are trying to say ...maybe can rephrase it?

Digby

Major Contributor

isn't this the biggest problem laymen face when using this site? There seems to be a few members who say flat FR and low THD is all the matters (in speakers), yet speakers with somewhat less flat FR and somewhat higher THD can subjectively sound better (to Amir) and can sometimes output rather higher volumes without audible strain. These factors are not insignificant in whether one speaker is preferred over another (especially when most speakers tested have rather modest SPL abilities).

There are those that say subjectivists make a god out of their feelings, but I think some here (the less experienced) make some kind of god out of a few measurement parameters, yet speakers are more than the sum of a few measurements.

MrHifiTunes

Speakers (and headphones) are made or broken with performance up to 7 to 8 kHz. Get that right and what else it is doing up higher only matters in rare cases. Let's remember that countless mix and mastering engineers are old too with attendant high frequency loss.

My last hearing test went up only 8 kHz and indicated age related high frequency hearing loss. However, I have above average sensitivity below that region.
Just to build some confidence, :)
We still can listen and appropriate music to the fullest when we are getting older.

Attachments

• frequency range coverage.jpg
    frequency range coverage.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 80

MrHifiTunes

isn't this the biggest problem laymen face when using this site? There seems to be a few members who say flat FR and low THD is all the matters (in speakers), yet speakers with somewhat less flat FR and somewhat higher THD can subjectively sound better (to Amir) and can sometimes output rather higher volumes without audible strain. These factors are not insignificant in whether one speaker is preferred over another (especially when most speakers tested have rather modest SPL abilities).

There are those that say subjectivists make a god out of their feelings, but I think some here (the less experienced) make some kind of god out of a few measurement parameters, yet speakers are more than the sum of a few measurements.
Yes agree...

Digby

Major Contributor
When will audible distortion become enjoyable? In what way will it be enjoyable?

Where does Amir say he likes distortion?

You confuse FR with distortion.
It's not about enjoyable, but audible. If I can't hear it, does it matter? If the speaker with higher *inaudible except to measuring devices* distortion produces an extra 10db without sounding strained, this is probably more important than degrees of *inaudible* distortion.

The question is whether (and where, likely certain parts of the audio spectrum the ear is more sensitive) the distortion is audible and what the effect of said distortion is in relation to other strengths/weaknesses of a given speaker.

I doubt this is particularly variable (audibility of distortion) between individuals and could be information that understandable on a group scale.

With respect to Amir, I think I am right in saying he finds the somewhat higher 2nd harmonic of horns relatively inaudible/innocuous. Horns have benefits for SPL that may surpass concerns about this measurable (but is it audible?) weakness.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
TL;DR:

In the same way most people here accept that a noise floor below a certain level is inaudible in a DAC (the difference in noise floor between said DACs would be imperceptible, even if measurable), I'd like to know when distortion becomes audible for most people and have this knowledge applied to how speakers here are rated.

Distortion should be considered better or worse as to how humans hear it, not as instruments measure it, and speakers rated accordingly.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It's not about enjoyable, but audible. If I can't hear it, does it matter? If the speaker with higher *inaudible except to measuring devices* distortion produces an extra 10db without sounding strained, this is probably more important than degrees of *inaudible* distortion.

The question is whether (and where, likely certain parts of the audio spectrum the ear is more sensitive) the distortion is audible and what the effect of said distortion is in relation to other strengths/weaknesses of said speaker.

I doubt this is particularly variable (audibility of distortion) between individuals and could be information that understandable on a group scale.

With respect to Amir, I think I am right in saying he finds the somewhat higher 2nd harmonic of horns relatively inaudible/innocuous. Horns have benefits for SPL that may surpass concerns about this measurable (but is it audible?) weakness.
... again you confuse distortion with FR (Frequency response).

For example . An electrostatic speaker may have a low (very low for being a speaker) but fluttering frequency response. A dymamic speaker can have a straight frequency response with high distortion.

Edit:
SORRY I read your post WRONG I leave it anyway.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, well I suppose the same pertains to FR in that, within certain limits, variation may be inaudible and/or the speaker presents other benefits that outweigh less than perfect performance on that metric. That is the point I am trying to make.

Top Bottom