• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

What about the opposite,
Who has NOT purchased something they were thinking about but did not because of Amir's review?
What product were you considering and which did you purchase instead?

Ordin Aryguy

Yes - Aiyima A07 (Great little amp!)

I bought Magnepan LRS’s before Amir’s brutal review came out. Glad I did as I might not have if I’d have read the review first.

As I sit here writing this I’ve just finished listening to a couple hours of Joe Bonamassa and am very, very happy with these “little Maggie’s” despite their bad review here.

I kinda feel like I’m batting .500 here based on my amp and speakers buys. However, I will certainly use the reviews as a basis for any future purchases. Unless it’s to upgrade my little Maggie’s to 3.7’s, then I won’t go searching here for reviews first. ;-)

Last edited:

JeffGB

Yes, and this is an update. I just ordered a Topping PA5 from HiFiGO. I have an Aiyima a07 already so I'm sure it will be more than enough power for my desktop needs.

flyzipper

I bought a pair of Kali LP-6.

There are things I considered buying based on Amir's measurements, but the product functionality wasn't what I expected.

I'm looking at you Schiit Magnius...
How do the preamp outputs work? Do they mute when you plug headphones in?
Nope. They're on all the time.
... and any modern device that isn't using USB-C.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Time for an update because the list is growing

SMSL SU-9 (with software update)
SMSL SH-9
Sennheiser HD600
Denon AVC-X3700H
Hifiman HE-400i

OP
Teeter

Teeter

I was looking for replacement main bookshelf speakers for my 5.1 HT. I had been a JBL fan for several years, but a year ago, I switched to Klipsch. Since Amir gave a good review on the JBL Stage A130, and was cost effective, for me back in January, I bought at Crutchfield. The sale price, was $179. I played the JBL's for 3 months and went back to the Klipsch R-51M. Yesterday, I re-installed the JBL Stage A130, to give them a second chance.
My update: Since giving the JBL Stage 130A another chance, I have not looked back. Netflix movies and the like, never sounded better in my HT 5.1 system. Once in a while, I'll listen to internet music or the music channels on Directv Satellite. These JBL Stage 130A's are a keeper. I recently read an independent reviewer, rated this speaker a little bit better than the JBL 530's. But, everyone's ears are different too. The JBL 130's are more neutral over the R-51M.

I like Amir's reviews with stats coupled with opinions and comments. This is a great forum.

DEleassar

Yes, JDS Atom and Khadas Tone Board (the first). In the future perhaps the RME ADI 2 and in further future the DCA Stealth

It's very good that Amir also doesn't recommend some products, despite of manufacturers marketing promises or because of a high price, where one might assume a high-end device.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC - bought after reading ASR review
MiniDSP DDRC-24 - bought after reading ASR review (even though the measurements weren’t fantastic - i thought Dirac would be more of a plus than the measurements were a negative)
NAD T758 V3 - bought before reading ASR review (terrible measurements, but still love the sound - Dirac again)
Topping PA5 - bought after Wolf’s review, on the expectation that ASR would also be great
MiniDSP Flex - bought before ASR review (the way that MiniDSP responded to ASR review of the Studio, reworking the product to address minor issues, gave me confidence that MiniDSP would do a good job of the Flex)

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’m not needing to buy much these days, but when I do it’s seldom without a recommendation from Amir’s measurements. So far, the Aiyima A07 and the Denon 3600H.

I did stray once, with the DarkVoice tube head amp, but I knew what the trade-offs were and enjoy it with my headphones.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
What about the opposite,
Who has NOT purchased something they were thinking about but did not because of Amir's review?
Took Wharfedale Evo's off my list, and am grateful to Amir for that because it was close. I liked the look (still do), and my local HiFi store was pushing them hard. Thankfully the cavalry (Amir) saved the day.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D10 first edition did replace the costly modified Philips CD650 refrence player no urge to replace the topping sounds great.

Last edited:

mikolaj

Forum Donor
That would be my 3rd purchase based on reviews, latest first:
- Topping PA5
- Focal Aria 926 (not measured by Amir, but bought 906 and assumed quality should be the same. Googled frequency response. And I'm very pleased :) )
- Loxjie A30
- Focal Aria 906

Sold based on reviews as having too low quality/price ratio:
- B&W 606 S2
- B&W 703 S2

That might be a good topic, "Did you sell based on Amir's review?"

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the opposite,
Have a look at the post just before yours.

Top Bottom