• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Paolo

Excellent subwoofer, but you won't get that FR in-room without EQ, and it doesn't have speaker-level inputs for crossover. You'll need an external active crossover/EQ like MiniDSP.
So, do you have any suggestion for similar quality and the speaker level inputs?

Newman

Major Contributor
Any of the SVS Pro subs have built-in EQ and easy adjustment via an app. Starting price is very reasonable.

Haint

So, do you have any suggestion for similar quality and the speaker level inputs?

Any of the SVS Pro subs have built-in EQ and easy adjustment via an app. Starting price is very reasonable.

SVS's prices all went up $100-$300+ across the board a couple months ago citing Covidflation. They're not worth it anymore, and their EQ is only 3 bands. The comparable Monoliths are hundreds less for the same or better performance tier, usually with a much more substantial build quality. Much of SVS's bloated pricing is in their oft abused 60 day 2-way free shipping returns and maintaining price parity with their retail partners (Best Buy for example has around 40-50% margins on SVS gear, I've had a friend buy me Subs with his employee discount). As someone who owns 6 SVS subs, I would look elsewhere or to other solutions. Their 300W 20-40lbs boxes simply aren't worth $700-$800+, they've priced themselves out of contention.

Last edited:

telemike

I love these speakers! I am using a Jamo C910 10" subwoofer with these crossed over around 60hz

Newman

Major Contributor
@Haint Monoprice gear has very limited distribution and the enquirer is in Italy. SVS is more global and their global pricing (and support) is quite good IME. Can't speak to the latest Covid-19 impacts, though.

cheers

Paolo

Thanks guys, both SVS and Monoprice are available in Italy,
the Monolith 10” is currently at €530 ($598) instead of €599 ($677),
the SVS PB100 Pro is €809 ($915) instead of €899 ($1.018), quite more than the Elac DBR…

I think I should probably look elsewhere if the Monolith is not what I need :)

telemike

the SVS PB100 Pro is €809 ($915) instead of €899 ($1.018), quite more than the Elac DBR…

Give the Jamo C910 or 912 a look.

Calumniate

Longtime lurker here. Was keeping my eyes on these in terms of price and they kept going up (especially in Canada)! Lol. But managed to grab a pair on a black friday deal that brought them back to original price territory.

Anyway am excited to have them show up! They will be replacing some polk audio rtia3's, which have been trounced online for being too bright. However I've found they're decent with the grills on, and very fatiguing with the grills off. Excited to see what the elac's can do!

syr1990

Subjective rant:

Just got a used pair of these for my second, more modest system. Amplification at the moment is not ideal: Onkyo A-9010. But...wow! Completely surprised by the sound of these, especially the bottom end presence. The last speakers I had hooked up to the Onkyo were the KEF Q-100 and these Elacs sound way fuller to my ears. I think the only thing the Q-100s win on was imaging, but their brightness was becoming a major annoyance. But the ELACs are not overly warm, which I was expecting.

Comparing the Elacs with my other system, the KEF R3 paired with a Cambridge CXA81, I'm surprised how well the ELACs keep up (even with subpar Amplification). The R3s are in a different league in terms of imaging and detail. But I'm quite satisfied with the much cheaper ELACs. Wonder what they'll sound like with a better amp. Might move the Cambridge over to the ELACs and get something better for the R3s.

Nikola Tesla

Subjective rant:

Just got a used pair of these for my second, more modest system. Amplification at the moment is not ideal: Onkyo A-9010. But...wow! Completely surprised by the sound of these, especially the bottom end presence. The last speakers I had hooked up to the Onkyo were the KEF Q-100 and these Elacs sound way fuller to my ears. I think the only thing the Q-100s win on was imaging, but their brightness was becoming a major annoyance. But the ELACs are not overly warm, which I was expecting.

Comparing the Elacs with my other system, the KEF R3 paired with a Cambridge CXA81, I'm surprised how well the ELACs keep up (even with subpar Amplification). The R3s are in a different league in terms of imaging and detail. But I'm quite satisfied with the much cheaper ELACs. Wonder what they'll sound like with a better amp. Might move the Cambridge over to the ELACs and get something better for the R3s.
please let us know. I am an audio newbie that's about to dip my toes in the water. The DBR62 + CXA81 is what I'm looking for start with. Curious what other's have to say about the pairing if they have experience.

holbob

It's yet another modern day amp without enough grunt for low sensitivity speakers like the DBR62. Either go used for class a/b or go class d. A grand for 80watts? No thanks.

syr1990

It's yet another modern day amp without enough grunt for low sensitivity speakers like the DBR62. Either go used for class a/b or go class d. A grand for 80watts? No thanks.
80 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms and 120 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms. Is that not sufficient even for people that are not going to listen to music louder than 80DB? How much power would you suggest for these speakers?

coomean

80 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms and 120 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms. Is that not sufficient even for people that are not going to listen to music louder than 80DB? How much power would you suggest for these speakers?
That power should be sufficient for your listening level.
But you do not have to pay a grand (CXA81) to get that power.

Destination: Moon

I'm running them with a SMSL DA-9 in a very very large room without a sub, and they sound fantastic. I'm not using them for dance parties. The Amp isn't breaking a sweat driving them to around 80db at 14 feet

Chrise36

Major Contributor

Have you looked at ELAC subwoofers?

Willem

Major Contributor
Hi all, does anyone has a good subwoofer to suggest as a companion for the DBR?

During the workweek I listen mostly in near field, since I’m working from home the living room is my office :facepalm: and the Elac are used and placed as monitors. In this configuration the sound is perfectly pleasing to me, but in the weekend I like to place them farther apar, in a more conventional position, this is when I really wish for deeper basses.

The chain is composed by an RME ADI2 DAC and and Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp, sources varies from macs and various airplay devices via WiFi.

I would like a sub with good and controlled detail since the DBR are remarkable and boomy basses would ruin everything, but I’m not sure what should be the reasonable budget to get good basses… hopefully something less or comparable to the other speakers. Can you guys help me?

Btw, a requirement is availability in Europe.
SVS is relatively expensive in Europe, and not quite the quality bargain it is in the US. In Europe, the KEF Kube series can be more competitive, and they look good. In the Netherlands the Kube 8b sells for 350 euros, the 10b for 470 euros and the 12b for 530. To avoid booming bass, dual subwoofers are a good idea, and so is dsp room eq of one kind or another. In your case, you are lucky that your ADI-2 has a few filters to reduce the worst peaks. If you use a computer as a source there is also some equalizing software. Much also depends on the size of the room.

Paolo

Have you looked at ELAC subwoofers?
Thanks, I’m still looking into it, ELAC’s are a possibility, I gave up with the idea of a cheap sub since I’ve seen Erin’s measurements, but other reviews with actual data are hard to find.
Currently the option I like the most seems to be the SVS 3000 Micro, it has good extension in a really small package, which is important because the room is small and it’s hard to find even 30/40cm2 of floor space.

Top Bottom