• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The ELAC DBR-62 objectively and subjectively meets and exceeds my expectations. It is "Andrew Jones" as I expected but had been missing up to now. It is "high-end" sound on a budget with little to apologize for. I was sad to stop listening to it to type this review! It is that good.

Message to Andrew: please stop messing with coaxial drivers and such. Optimized 2-way system like this outperforms them all. They design won't sound sexy on paper but boy does it sound good in person. And no fussiness with placement in room either.

So save up if you have to but don't settle for anything less than this. I am happy to give my strongest recommendation for ELAC DBR-62.
BASED ON AMIR'S REVIEW, I bought a set of the Elac DBR62s to replace a pair of Klipsch RP-600Ms (which I never could tolerate). After more than a year with them, I am completely satisfied with the Elacs. They are the successors to a pair of Polks, a pair of Andrew Jones Pioneers, and the said Klipsches. These Elacs are keepers. I listen to them with 150 watts/channel and with two powered subwoofers crossed at ~75 Hz. They extend to 25 Hz.

My listening choices: classical, symphonic, modern jazz (acoustic), folk, and solo piano. Prior to COVID, I have been in the habit (since my teens) of attending live concerts (not rock). I'm pretty sure I know what good acoustic music sounds like.

And the Elac's provide reality. (No, they're not loud enough for a rave in my living room. That ain't gonna happen.)

cecelo01

Did anyone have a chance to compare Elac with Dynaudio DM 2/7, Emit M20, Excite 16?
I have DM 2/7 on my second system. I prefer the Dynaudio subscription. They are more correct, natural, with better tonal balance. The Emit M20 (assembled in China) is an upgrade from DM 2/7. I didn't notice sonic differences between DM and Emit. Both (DM and Emit) perform very well.

20211017_212821.jpg

20211015_202414.jpg

Gorancho

What can i say, except thank you Amir. Based on your review i got elac dbr62. To cut the story short, they are exactly as measured and revied. For 500euro i got so much value in return. I could have listened to any sponsored audiophiles and their rants, and i would have goten no value what so ever. Room is 30 m2, not small at all, I drive them with luxman m700u poweramp and using topping dac d70s (again thank you Amir for pointing out to topping dacs ). And that is it, just great sound and i enjoy.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
What can i say, except thank you Amir. Based on your review i got elac dbr62. To cut the story short, they are exactly as measured and revied. For 500euro i got so much value in return. I could have listened to any sponsored audiophiles and their rants, and i would have goten no value what so ever. Room is 30 m2, not small at all, I drive them with luxman m700u poweramp and using topping dac d70s (again thank you Amir for pointing out to topping dacs ). And that is it, just great sound and i enjoy.
I can't be totally, absolutely, 100%, no-exceptions sure, but I have noted two things, personally:
1. If speakers measure really well, their sound is really good. But ALL the measurements have to align: response, distortion, dispersion, non-resonance, crossover point smoothness, sensitivity, and correct SPL capability for the application.
2. If just one or two of those items is more than a little off, the speaker reproduces music incorrectly. (Sometimes, that's an asset with a lot of pop music.) That does not make it a good speaker. (Like a banjo makes a damn poor violin and vice versa.) New, the new speaker may sound better than what you had, but a not-good speaker will soon wear thin to your ears, and then you'll realize it's not such a good speaker.

I share your experience. I am so satisfied with the DBR62s (and a couple of subwoofers) that I expect to replace them only in my next life. And it's all Amir's fault. :)

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I have the DBR62s in a fairly large area, open floor plan living room. A lot depends on how and where you listen. In my room, listening to about 96dB peaks at about 15', I found a 45 watt/ch Denon PMA600NE (class A/B) to be insufficient. Orchestral crescendos pushed it over the edge. I'm presently using an Emotiva A-300 150 watt/ch (class A/B), which is very satisfactory. And, my use is not ever for home theatre. I have 2 powered subs of about 400 watts RMS, also. The room is carpeted, and the layout is exceptionally non-symmetrical with substantial upholstered furniture (no strong Eigentones).

By the way, when I added the second (unmatched) subwoofer, the bass I heard was greatly improved.

Home theatre is an entirely different issue with which I have little experience.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The review appears extremely positive. Would it be recommended to attempt to drive these with the Class D 50W into 4 Ohms, 27W into 8 Ohms Denon PMA-50? I appreciate that the main review recommends a 'beefy' amp, but a search within the thread for Class D yielded no concrete recommendation.
No. That's not enough. With small bookshelf speakers you need more power as they are relatively inefficient. I would look at 100-200w into 8 ohms. If I were buying an new amp today I'd look for a class D with 200w/8 ohms 20-20k. Popular choices on this forum with good measurements are the benchmark ahb2, Purifi or Hypex ncore based amplifiers like VTV, Nord, Buckeye and March

Willem

Major Contributor
I drive the Harbeth P3ESRs in my study with a 2x100 watt Quad 405-2 and there is nothing excessive about that. My son uses a 2x250 watt Yamaha P2500s to drive his Elac DBR62s. That may be a bit over the top (my fault), but it makes no sense to be stingy with power when it is as cheap as it is these days.

kism

The review appears extremely positive. Would it be recommended to attempt to drive these with the Class D 50W into 4 Ohms, 27W into 8 Ohms Denon PMA-50? I appreciate that the main review recommends a 'beefy' amp, but a search within the thread for Class D yielded no concrete recommendation.
I'm driving mine with the well-reviewed Loxjie A30 Class D amp in my large living room since early September with no problems whatsoever. I can get them much louder than I need to without turning it up that high. The sound to me is also extremely accurate. I would recommend giving the amp you are looking at a shot as long as it has a good return policy in case it doesn't work out for you.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplifiers are a physics problem. Whether or not they have enough power to move all the drivers through their complete range of motion or not through the audible range of 20hz to 20khz. The problem is speaker AND amplifier companies don't give enough information in their specs to allow us to determine if an amp has enough power at a given Voltage and Impedance to move the driver through nits full range of motion.

It may not be "bad" but it's not "all."

So us audio folk have to buy an amp that can demonstrate that it can deliver the power needed at the worst case scenario to move our speaker driver through the full range of.motion

And "it's all about that bass."

TheWalkman

No. That's not enough. With small bookshelf speakers you need more power as they are relatively inefficient. I would look at 100-200w into 8 ohms. If I were buying an new amp today I'd look for a class D with 200w/8 ohms 20-20k. Popular choices on this forum with good measurements are the benchmark ahb2, Purifi or Hypex ncore based amplifiers like VTV, Nord, Buckeye and March
Beershaun,

I have a pair that I alternatively drive with an Aiyima 04, 07 and a Niles 2150. Subjectively, I think the Aiyimas do a fine, if not better job with the Elacs. (The sound seems a bit crisper on the high end.)

The Aiyimas are around a clean 60W +/- and the Niles is around 150W. (My input source, today, is a Raspberry Pi 2W running Volumio.)

All three amps make the speakers sing. Loudly.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, I just love these speakers.

Last edited:

wrevilo

Thank you for everyone's input following my post which I've quoted. I picked up a pair of these speakers today and have given them a reasonable listen at a decent volume for a flat with a neighbor below. I'm happy to say my little Denon does OK, but I probably would need more power to play them really loud. I would be interested in testing a more powerful amp.

My observations against a pair of Quad 12L2 is that bass is deeper and the speakers seem really accurate. Maybe the soundstage isn't as large? Anyway, initial thoughts are very positive.

Darwin

I think, and this might be only me, that this constant bombardment of old & new Kefs with and without mods in all kinds of threads about different speakers is quite annoying.
Following this thread because I want to read about experiences with the Elac. I don't care about obsolete Kefs in this thread. Or any other thread about certain speakers.

Did I mention that I don't care about Kef in a thread about Elac? Perhaps I should mention that I don't care about Kef in general this particular thread so everybody understands just how much I don't care in general about Kef in a thread about a different speaker.

Specifics like comparing measurements or direct subjective comparisons are ok, not this. Why? Because nobody that want to read about Elac is interested in every other speaker everyone else owns in a thread dedicated to a particular speaker.

Still love you, maty ❤
Nobody cares.

Paolo

Hi all, does anyone has a good subwoofer to suggest as a companion for the DBR?

During the workweek I listen mostly in near field, since I’m working from home the living room is my office :facepalm: and the Elac are used and placed as monitors. In this configuration the sound is perfectly pleasing to me, but in the weekend I like to place them farther apar, in a more conventional position, this is when I really wish for deeper basses.

The chain is composed by an RME ADI2 DAC and and Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp, sources varies from macs and various airplay devices via WiFi.

I would like a sub with good and controlled detail since the DBR are remarkable and boomy basses would ruin everything, but I’m not sure what should be the reasonable budget to get good basses… hopefully something less or comparable to the other speakers. Can you guys help me?

Btw, a requirement is availability in Europe.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I would like a sub with good and controlled detail since the DBR are remarkable and boomy basses would ruin everything, but I’m not sure what should be the reasonable budget to get good basses… hopefully something less or comparable to the other speakers. Can you guys help me?
Good bass only comes with proper EQ and integration. For your setup you'd want subwoofer with DSP and speaker-level inputs, or external active crossover like MiniDSP with subwoofer.

Paolo

Good bass only comes with proper EQ and integration. For your setup you'd want subwoofer with DSP and speaker-level inputs, or external active crossover like MiniDSP with subwoofer.
Would the Monolith 10” fit the bill, or are there other alternatives with the same level of FR to consider? It’s a bit more pricey than what I had in mind, but after seeing @hardisj ‘s review of cheaper subs, I’ve changed my mind. But, price apart, I don’t know where to look :)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Would the Monolith 10” fit the bill, or are there other alternatives with the same level of FR to consider?
Excellent subwoofer, but you won't get that FR in-room without EQ, and it doesn't have speaker-level inputs for crossover. You'll need an external active crossover/EQ like MiniDSP.

kfivmes

Amirm told they need beefy amp to drive them.
Does the PA5 from Topping with its 48W of clean power at 8 ohms would be sufficient ?

Destination: Moon

Amirm told they need beefy amp to drive them.
Does the PA5 from Topping with its 48W of clean power at 8 ohms would be sufficient ?

The DA9 drives them amazingly well. Pretty sure they have similar power rating. Every time I switch it on, I'm still surprised how good they sound with this tiny high efficiency amp

Top Bottom