• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you could add something to the common suite of measurements for each type of component, or revise an existing one, what would they be (if anything)?

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why doesn't TOPPING produce multi-channel power amplifiers? It doesn't need to design supporting software. It produces an 8-channel power amplifier. Buying two can be used for the 9.1.6 system. How perfect.
This is a real customer need, this is a real potential market, why don't you do it?

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you could add something to the common suite of measurements for each type of component, or revise an existing one, what would they be (if anything)?
I don't see any since there are many different measurements that have been performed. If anything I feel the noise performance is underappreciated. It's the most important thing in normal listening situation after frequency response.

SDC

I saw some people talking about lack of driver protection and such in ehp5.
Is it nonsence or will there be ehp5 plus with updates?

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why doesn't TOPPING produce multi-channel power amplifiers? It doesn't need to design supporting software. It produces an 8-channel power amplifier. Buying two can be used for the 9.1.6 system. How perfect.
This is a real customer need, this is a real potential market, why don't you do it?
In short it's because DM7 was sold quite poorly. And there are other challenges like thermal, power supply, cost etc.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In your opinion, what is the greatest enemy of Class D reliability?

Jim
I don't see class d reliability as something special. Our issues mainly was due to potting. But there must be solutions, because power supply units have using it for ages without issues. It's just that we have to make the testing before production a couple of notch more hardcore.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In short it's because DM7 was sold quite poorly. And there are other challenges like thermal, power supply, cost etc.
DM7's competing product, Okto Research, is close to bankruptcy? The AV market is in full swing. I also hope that you can do things like AVP, just support Dolby Atmos, you don’t need any other functions, you don’t even need DTS, of course you must support Dirac Live. Produce something that really has a market, the DM7 is destined not to have any sales, I think you should also produce a 16-channel DAC, which covers a wider range of people, or at least supports ADAT.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
make the testing before production a couple of notch more hardcore.
It's called qualifying. Test them to the thermal limit and cut out the poor performers. Otherwise cease hiding behind potting compound and keep innovating and hope for familiarity and loyal customers.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is adding PEQs to DACs difficult?

*wink*
Yes and no. It's not so difficult to just slap a dsp chip in a dac.
What's difficult:
Performance doesn't get hit
Available with all inputs
Supporting higher sample rate
UI design and display related

Not that those aren't achievable but everything takes time.

Plus you know the new es9039 ak4499ex chips took a lot of resources. Also there are many other things planned. Dsp equipped products have to be somewhat niche not many people want to buy or know how to use and are easily replaceable by software on pc or other platforms in normal use case.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's called qualifying. Test them to the thermal limit and cut out the poor performers. Otherwise cease hiding behind potting compound and keep innovating and hope for familiarity and loyal customers.
Regular qualifying doesn't do it. Well it takes more than a week and 60c+ to make them repeatedly fail. If not accelerated it took 1-2 months to see failures in 20 devices. Doing a few times then a year passed.
And you know in grand scheme we are still a small company with 45 people or so in total including the factory. And hiring knowledgeable people is difficult that's a whole other issues we have to think about.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regular qualifying doesn't do it. Well it takes more than a week and 60c+ to make them repeatedly fail. If not accelerated it took 1-2 months to see failures in 20 devices. Doing a few times then a year passed.
And you know in grand scheme we are still a small company with 45 people or so in total including the factory. And hiring knowledgeable people is difficult that's a whole other issues we have to think about.
Then, why not skip the potting compound? Topping/TP seems to have a loyal following. I doubt anybody is going to copy and make money. :D

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With the exception of exotic homebrew setups (and Apple Mac based setups), it’s very hard to get multichannel content unless it’s Dolby/DTS.

If you look at Monoprice in the US, their ATI manufactured amplifiers sell well and there is a wide selection of options (channels, power, topology). They only sell one processor, which is a flagship 16 channel unit with planned Dirac ART support. The DM7 sold poorly because it didn’t work with the typical multichannel sources in the US/Europe.

A multi channel amp that works in home theater environments that is as reliable as HypeX, etc. would work well.

As for home theater, there is a big gap between the HTP-1 which is 16 channels and something affordable. A system with 5.2.4 could be interesting. That is upfiring Atmos speakers x4 and an optional center and optional stereo subs.

Dirac is the flavor of the day, but if Audyssey is still available for license, I am sure there are good deals since Denon and Marantz are no longer Audyssey exclusives.

Kickstarter would be another way to assess the market potential for a Topping multichannel amp or multi channel processor.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything related. I answer them as much as I can.
When will service manuals be released? The big companies like Sony, Marantz, and Denon offer service manuals for repair and longevity. Maybe it can even be done for out of production units only.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything related. I answer them as much as I can.

Do you have a favorite speaker? :)

dorirod

Hi John, thank you for taking questions? What's the biggest barrier to introducing a DAC product that can do PEQ and crossover to a sub? It seems like those are the biggest asks for most people when it comes to new DAC products rather than squeezing more SINAD.

Thank you!

Top Bottom