• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Rate this surge protector:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

bkdc

Forum Donor
Same technology as SurgeX.
It's tried and true and protects every NFL stadium and major venue in the country. The question is whether you want a single outlet protected or whether it's more cost effective at the panel to protect the whole house for a few thousand bucks.

I agree with the above post that this is not the proper forum to review such a device. This device and its technology works and will protect your precious electronics from a direct lightning strike to your home. And then it will keep working.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
index.php

index.php

These two spectrum images look quite different an do not seem to match the overlay FFT?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same technology as SurgeX.
It's tried and true and protects every NFL stadium and major venue in the country. The question is whether you want a single outlet protected or whether it's more cost effective at the panel to protect the whole house for a few thousand bucks.

I agree with the above post that this is not the proper forum to review such a device. This device and its technology works and will protect your precious electronics from a direct lightning strike to your home. And then it will keep working.
Well, perhaps. I'd like to see Amir actually test that. Even if it offers no audible improvement, it it offers surge protection that can be valuable in some circumstances.

Lambda

Major Contributor
OK, corrected, but isn't a filter meant to... filter? This is what the buying layman will expect, at this price level anyway.

BTW, "power quality filters" is stated on the box... :)
Is the fuel filter in your car making your fule better and your car drive Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?

Not its just there to make sure that if you get some dirt in the thank its not plunging something up
These two spectrum images look quite different an do not seem to match the overlay FFT?
Because it's not a controlled test with synthesized noise its whatever is on the mains in this moment.
Maybe the AC turned of between measurements or something

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am at ease, thanks to ASR that these things do not improve the sound but their claim to fame is the "Surge Protector" part. This is a different area. We need to define a "surge", once it is defined then we will know how well the "Surge Protector" ..protects or not.
Most electronics equipment have some "surge protection", built-in. Electrical "Surges" vary in voltage, intensity, duration , even waveform. The amount of "Surge Protection" would need to be defined in the context of what can "ride" on an AC and, how well the Device Under Test , the DUT, protects said equipment. To make matter a more complex, electrical "surge" can be internal, coming from inside the house or external .. coming from the outside. Surge don't have to last a long time to destroy an equipment, a millisecond of a 10 KV surge is enough to destroy sensitive electronic components. Surges above 1000 Volts are common ... Thus the many questions: Would this "Surge Protector" protects from a 1 KV "surge" or a 3 KV, or ..X.. KV? W. I already know it will not improve the sound of my $16,000.oo Trinnov ( I don't own one, just dreaming :)) but I won't mind if a $1000.oo device protects my $20K investment? And , seriously , and more importantly HOW, do I protect my AV system?

The problem of electrical surges is real. Surge Protection is a specialized, even arcane area. We would like to understand a bit more about that and devise tests for these. I have no doubts this is a serious undertaking, outside , perhaps of the purview of ASR.. or is it? Mhhhh? :) @amirm . Even some basic test? I know from experience this cannot be easy , many such tests are of the destructive types, IOW, the DUT does not survive some tests...

Peace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly don't see any significant filtering, going by Amir's results.

supercargo

I own three of these devices. I appreciate seeing that they don’t introduce any problems under normal circumstances, but also question the testing claiming they don’t improve anything. I realize it is beyond Amir’s scope to test something like lightning strikes, but to dismiss other “problem solving” capabilities without simulating power “problems” in the lab (whatever those may be) seems to be missing the point. Is it possible to create “audible” problems in the lab? Something like turning on and off a large inductive load on the same branch circuit as the audio equipment. I’d be curious if these would produce any measurable/audible noise and if the power filtering products would alleviate such noise.

As for why one would use these in a point of use application vs whole house, the answer is that lighting isn’t selective. Lightning current could enter the home wiring through some path that doesn’t go “through” the main panel before reaching the equipment needing protection. Think interior wiring, cable or phone lines, pipes that are bonded to ground after your panel, etc.

Final note: ZeroSurge has a 8R15W-I which they claim offers isolation between receptacles in the same box. For “mixing digital and analog” equipment. They make marketing claims targeted at the home audio and studio market. That also seems worth some scrutiny.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own three of these devices. I appreciate seeing that they don’t introduce any problems under normal circumstances, but also question the testing claiming they don’t improve anything. I realize it is beyond Amir’s scope to test something like lightning strikes, but to dismiss other “problem solving” capabilities without simulating power “problems” in the lab (whatever those may be) seems to be missing the point. Is it possible to create “audible” problems in the lab? Something like turning on and off a large inductive load on the same branch circuit as the audio equipment. I’d be curious if these would produce any measurable/audible noise and if the power filtering products would alleviate such noise.

As for why one would use these in a point of use application vs whole house, the answer is that lighting isn’t selective. Lightning current could enter the home wiring through some path that doesn’t go “through” the main panel before reaching the equipment needing protection. Think interior wiring, cable or phone lines, pipes that are bonded to ground after your panel, etc.

Final note: ZeroSurge has a 8R15W-I which they claim offers isolation between receptacles in the same box. For “mixing digital and analog” equipment. They make marketing claims targeted at the home audio and studio market. That also seems worth some scrutiny.
But that's just it: it doesn't offer filtering.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some question how it suppresses surges if it doesn't have filtering. MOVs?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Off-topics. I live in a country with lighting strikes, although not Florida level, are common and serious nonetheless. When I travel or know that there will be lightnings, I unplug the equipment but ... sometimes, said lightning storms or strikes occur during listening sessions ... Let's not even talk of the very common electrical surges...

How does one protect from these. What to use?

O.T. I will open a thread on the matter. Mods feel free to move this post to it.

Peace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Off-topics. I live in a country with lighting strikes, although not Florida level, are common and serious nonetheless. When I travel or know that there will be lightnings, I unplug the equipment but ... sometimes, said lightning storms or strikes occur during listening sessions ... Let's not even talk of the very common electrical surges...

How does one protect from these. What to use?

O.T. I will open a thread on the matter. Mods feel free to move this post to it.

Peace.
That's just what I hope this device is intended for.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
water-pour-sieve-above-poured-pink-mag-isolated-clear-background-image-copy-space-landscape-format-135595334.jpg

Sieves don't work. tastes the same before and after the filter...

depends on your definition of filtering
Is it secret filtering, that Amir can't measure? Where are you going with that? Or am I missing a joke (could be)?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Is it secret filtering, that Amir can't measure? Where are you going with that? Or am I missing a joke (could be)?
Could you measure the filtering ability of a sieves by pouring tab water trough it?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll offer a possibility. I've used a full-wave bridge to a big low-ESR cap as a quick and dirty surge suppressor. *Maybe* that's what is in there.

That BTW is called a peak clipper, for those taking notes.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you measure the filtering ability of a sieves by pouring tab water trough it?
Of course. Big enough particles get screened out...am I still missing a joke?

OK, if you're not joking...how would you demonstrate its filtering?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Of course. Big enough partciles get screened out...am I still missing a joke?
Yes but how can you test this if you don’t have big enough particles in your tab water.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but how can you test this if you don’t have big enough particles in your tab water.
Uhm....I hope you're trolling.

Top Bottom