• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero surge and surgeX are overpriced as hell

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Thats because you have the rack models those are cheap on amazon but not everyone wants that. I’m on a desk setup and don’t need a rack for my desk. I have the standalone which is more convenient for the desk. It costs more and rarely found used for a cheap price

Cheapest ive seen one is $300 and old like from 2008

The one I have was made in 2022

T0paz

Thats because you have the rack models those are cheap on amazon but not everyone wants that. I’m on a desk setup and don’t need a rack for my desk. I have the standalone which is more convenient for the desk. It costs more and rarely found used for a cheap price

Cheapest ive seen one is $300 and old like from 2008

The one I have was made in 2022
I have rack mount Series Mode filters from both SurgeX and ZeroSurge as well as small 2-outlet/8-outlet models from both companies i.e. ZeroSurge 2R7.5W, 2R15W, 8R15W and SurgeX SA-82. All can sit on a floor near a desk or be mounted to the side or underside of a desk and you can always plug in an outlet strip (non-MOV or MOV based) if you need more outlets. My oldest unit was made in 1994 ZeroSurge ZS1900 (15 Amp, 6-outlet) and will outlast my lifetime. The average price I paid for the 2-outlet models (used) on eBay was under $60 with tax and shipping (2-outlet), and $80 (8-outlet). They do go fast at that price

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have rack mount Series Mode filters from both SurgeX and ZeroSurge as well as small 2-outlet models from both companies i.e. ZeroSurge 2R7.5W and 2R15W, and SurgeX SA-82. All can sit on a floor near a desk or be mounted to the side or underside of a desk and you can always plug in an outlet strip (non-MOV or MOV based) if you need more outlets. My oldest unit was made in 1994 and will outlast my lifetime. The average price I paid for the 2-outlet models (used) on eBay was under $60 with tax and shipping. They do go fast at that price

I just didn't want to put a rack on my desk, or under it. The standalone is more convenient for me.

How do you use the Surgex SA-82? This is for behind-wall-mounted TVs. I've considered buying it and is very affordable used on eBay.

Maybe it does last a lifetime, I just feel better the newer the year is lol

I have my TV on the wall with a Powerbridge dual outlet behind it. I have my TV and gaming console connected to it, then the power bridge extension is connected to the SurgeX on the floor, thus protecting the TV and console.

If I get the Surgex sa-82, if I connect to one of the outlets, then the Powerbridge extension would have to go directly to the wall to avoid daisy chaining. The advantage of it, is it frees up one outlet from my 10 outlet Surge x

TWOCK_soeasy.jpg

T0paz

I just didn't want to put a rack on my desk, or under it. The standalone is more convenient for me.

How do you use the Surgex SA-82? This is for behind-wall-mounted TVs. I've considered buying it and is very affordable used on eBay.

Maybe it does last a lifetime, I just feel better the newer the year is lol

I have my TV on the wall with a Powerbridge dual outlet behind it. I have my TV and gaming console connected to it, then the power bridge extension is connected to the SurgeX on the floor, thus protecting the TV and console.

If I get the Surgex sa-82, if I connect to one of the outlets, then the Powerbridge extension would have to go directly to the wall to avoid daisy chaining. The advantage of it, is it frees up one outlet from my 10 outlet Surge x

TWOCK_soeasy.jpg

The Powerbridge Model Two-CK is an extension cord hidden in the wall that hides any AV cables as well as the AC cord. You already have a SurgeX with 10 outlets so you really shouldn't need to have another one behind the TV. You could get a small 3-outlet 1/2 foot extension cord and plug it into one of the 10-outlets on the SurgeX if you needed up to 2 extra outlets on it, see GE 3-Outlet Extension Cord This would minimize the extra cord length associated with a 6, 7 or 9 foot cord

If you can safely plug a multi-outlet MOV strip into a 2-outlet ZeroSurge 2R7.5W or 2R15W then you can do the same if the Series Mode filter had 8 or more outlets so long as you watch the total load of all the devices you have plugged. What both ZeroSurge and SurgeX don't recommend is plugging in their Series Mode filter into a UPS or an MOV strip as they cannot effectively protect the UPS or the MOV strip and when either of those shunt the surge to ground they are preventing the Series Mode filter from working properly as ground can spike up to 6000 volts and they want to see ground at 0 volts.

In fact that is what is wrong with MOV based surge protectors. They are a parallel device which shunts the surge to both the Neutral and the Safety Ground where the surge has a new life and an opportunity to do more harm. Surges are cumulative and damage may not be immediate but given enough surges the equipment will eventually fail in some manner. Many people are in the habit of selling their gear often and may not see the damage.

In the end you want to do what you are comfortable with and if you want to add a 2nd Series Mode filter like the SurgeX SA-82 behind the TV and plug it into the Powerbridge and the Powerbridge into a wall outlet you can and that will free up an extra outlet on the 10-outlet model.

Best of luck to you

Peking Man

The SurgeX SX-1115-RT and XR-315 . Also the Axess Elite, but it gets expensive.

There are more models with the whole suite of protection but you have to look at the specs off of Surgex/Ametek to be 100% certain.

Their ESP enVision units also have the whole suite and then offer additional diagnostics, ethernet & phone protection, scope meter, remote monitoring, etc. Essentially SurgeX' top tier stuff all have: ASM, COUVS, ICE, and EMI/RFI filtering.

1.png

2-768x475.png

360pic.png

Last edited:

Peking Man

Oh yeah, get the original USA made stuff while they're still available NOS! I've noticed a lot of their products now have labels showing Made in Mexico or Made in China. (n)The product is probably the same, especially if SurgeX/Ametek/ESP maintains high levels of QC but I'd much prefer US made when it's available. And I'd still put my money on the USA made stuff as being better built.

53476245298_0b06a753f8_b.jpg

53475195122_2a4ea73519_b.jpg

53476104506_70aff3fce8_b.jpg

53476517050_a5f9973dc6_b.jpg

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Yes i noticed the new ones are made in mexico now wth

the one I have is made in Usa, but I doubt there is much difference, whats the worst that could happen?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

There are more models with the whole suite of protection but you have to look at the specs off of Surgex/Ametek to be 100% certain.

Their ESP enVision units also have the whole suite and then offer additional diagnostics, ethernet & phone protection, scope meter, remote monitoring, etc. Essentially SurgeX' top tier stuff all have: ASM, COUVS, ICE, and EMI/RFI filtering.

360pic.png

sucks that is just rack mode tho which all that came in standalone

T0paz

sucks that is just rack mode tho which all that came in standalone
You can buy Zero Surge products which are still Made in the USA and you may even be able to get the equivalent of Advanced Series Mode (they call it Total Surge Cancellation) technology, if you ask if they are still available. Zero Surge sells a brick (standalone) as well as rack mount versions.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

You can buy Zero Surge products which are still Made in the USA and you may even be able to get the equivalent of Advanced Series Mode (they call it Total Surge Cancellation) technology, if you ask if they are still available. Zero Surge sells a brick (standalone) as well as rack mount versions.

Already have surgex 10 outlet standalone is supposed to be advanced series mode

Top Bottom