• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need isolated receptacles?

Pancreas

Ive been torn between surge X and zero surge

I want a standalone unit.

The zero surge has 8 outlet one with isolated receptacles for $325

Surge x has a 10 outlet one SA-1810 but not isolated

Do I really need isolated outlets?

Ill be using it to connect my computer, consoles, studio monitors, computer monitor, audio interface, guitar amp modeler unit, etc

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not. Do you get big power surges in your area?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Probably not. Do you get big power surges in your area?

I live in florida lol

But supposedly the main purpose of it is separate the outlet from one another

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

So if i understand this

Is only ONE outlet that is isolated?

So the zero surge 8-15i

Only one outlet is isolated to protect one equipment more than the others?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno. Got a link? In any event they can't isolate safety grounds. And unfortunately that's where ground loops occur with single-ended equipment.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

It says isolate duplex receptacles

robwpdx

I will answer from an electrical engineering standpoint.

Grounds can be a consideration in audio systems, especially for small signals, like microphones and phono cartridges, and where low noise is important. In the home unless you have RF rectification from powerful radio or television broadcasts nearby, the residential electrical code is fine. Occasionally you may have to lift a signal ground for ground loops.

Power quality is the degree of noise and harmonics on the power line. That is a whole specialty in itself. I would just start with a good surge arrestor. The higher the Joule rating, the better. The TrippLite Isobar made by Eaton is a good mid price one. You can also plug your audio devices into a UPS which includes similar power quality filtering capacitors - TrippLite is a good brand. There are systems at the substation for arresting lightning strikes on the high voltage lines into the substation. But lightning can and does damage equipment for which you need insurance. Tube gear is usually fine.

Many of the IEC AC line power sockets and international equivalents have RF filters, including ferrite beads. They would be a good addition to audio equipment but are rare due to cost reduction.

I will relate a funny story on that. I was employed overseas by the State Department to bring computers into some local government processes almost 30 years ago. The country had terrible power. I talked to an IT person who had run all the computers for a mine before the rebels overtook it. They described the country as the "graveyard of UPSs." Some would immediately fail when plugged in. The best would last for about a year - the TrippLites.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will answer from an electrical engineering standpoint.

Grounds can be a consideration in audio systems, especially for small signals, like microphones and phono cartridges, and where low noise is important. In the home unless you have RF rectification from powerful radio or television broadcasts nearby, the residential electrical code is fine. Occasionally you may have to lift a signal ground for ground loops.

Power quality is the degree of noise and harmonics on the power line. That is a whole specialty in itself. I would just start with a good surge arrestor. The higher the Joule rating, the better. The TripLite Isobar made by Eaton is a good mid price one. You can also plug your audio devices into a UPS which includes similar power quality filtering capacitors - TripLite is a good brand. There are systems at the substation for arresting lightning strikes on the high voltage lines into the substation. But lightning can and does damage equipment for which you need insurance. Tube gear is usually fine.

I will relate a funny story on that. I was employed overseas by the State Department to bring computers into some local government processes almost 30 years ago. The country had terrible power. I talked to an IT person who had run all the computers for a mine before the rebels overtook it. They described the country as the "graveyard of UPSs." Some would immediately fail when plugged in. The best would last for about a year - the TripLites.
Yeah, Tripp Lite is industrial stuff, not some bizarre audiophile nonsense.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally, there is no need to isolate or filter outlets. Most quality devices have sufficient filtration in their own power supplies to clean off any noise on the incoming AC.

The only time I've ever has ground-loop problems was between computers and radios in weak-signal radio contests. We isolated the computers by switching to laptops and that addressed that issue. But we were using radio receivers with noise floors over 130 dB down from peak receiver saturation--nothing that would ever be encountered in audio. And we were running equipment on generators, which do not produce the sorts of power integrity that we get from the power company.

Very few so-called isolators actually isolate, because code requires them to tie the safety ground across all receptacles. This is true even for transformer isolators like the Tripp-Lite medical-equipment isolators. The point of those is to filter out high levels of environmental radio frequencies.

As for surge protection, I do a LOT of that in my home, because we've had real problems with surges and outages taking things out. I have also installed panel surge protectors in my power panels--these probably would meet the needs for surge protection for most people without further protection.

Note that most commercial power isn't that clean. When I look at our power on a scope, the sine wave is noticeably distorted--there is a flat spot on the downslope. I would guess that distortion (compared to a 60-Hz sine wave) is probably well over 1%, and maybe as high as 10%. The Tripp-Lite "isolation" transformer does absolutely nothing to improve that, but it doesn't matter--that's why equipment power supplies have filter capacitors.

Rick "code allows a lifted ground only for equipment in an insulated case" Denney

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Every audio device has a power supply and every power supply has a transformer. A transformer isolates the lower-voltage electronics from the power line... There is no direct electrical connection to the power line, only an electro-magnetic connection.

If there is a power-line ground, that's not necessarily isolated. It's usually connected to the chassis (for safety in case power gets shorted to the chassis) but the chassis ground can be isolated from the "ground" in the audio circuitry.

...I remember "isolation transformers' (i.e. 120VAC in and 120 VAC out) being used for safety when working on old TVs, etc. The voltage is still potentially lethal but If there is no common ground between the primary and secondary you won't get killed by connecting your body between the secondary and earth ground because there is not a "complete circuit" to earth ground and no current can flow.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

So should i buy protectors like zero surge and surge x? Lol

It doesn’t feel right to protect equipment worth thousands with a $30 Tripplite or other similar brand lol

robwpdx

So should i buy protectors like zero surge and surge x? Lol

It doesn’t feel right to protect equipment worth thousands with a $30 Tripplite or other similar brand lol

I would prioritize your chair over exotic power line filters. The Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair with Ottoman is a very good investment. You can order them with a choice of wood and upholstery from a Herman Miller dealer like Design Within Reach.

The second thing I would do is invest in a handmade silk Tabriz carpet with 2cm of jute carpet pad under it. Silk carpets have a shimmer.

Third, I would build a listening room like a Hidley room - http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/tom-hidley-studio-designer/1649

Fourth, I would invest in actual museum quality fine art originals. None of that realtor decorator art!

(Unfortunately my funds for those are limited!) (That is not my room below either, it does have an expensive beautiful hardwood floor.)

69555DFB-08E1-4EC9-A071-69D865DD9586.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Just want to protect my desk setup. I have a better interface now $600 and plan on buying a guitar amp modeler called Axe FX which is like $2300

I do need a new chair and stands for my speakers and eventually a new computer

My desk is solid wood and 72”

Let me know what else can i do lol

Attachments

• 2D97B6A5-F3F4-4A8B-B8F2-83220A8621BB.jpeg
    2D97B6A5-F3F4-4A8B-B8F2-83220A8621BB.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Just want to protect my desk setup. I have a better interface now $600 and plan on buying a guitar amp modeler called Axe FX which is like $2300

I do need a new chair and stands for my speakers and eventually a new computer

My desk is solid wood and 72”

Let me know what else can i do lol
Email Cliff and ask him what you should do. Pretty sure he will say an inexpensive Furman is all you need.

I ran my project studio off a pair of these for 15 years, but even these are probably overkill:

1274692163_465428.jpg

One lives on in my home theater. The 'filtering' likely did/does nothing, but I did/do feel good about the voltage regulation. Also, I had an Axe-FX Ultra for most of that time.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Cliff the owner of and principle engineer at Axe-FX.

Of course he would say that, is his business to represent the Axe FX as this exceptional machine that has amazing protection from the factory, but the axe fx is not the only electronic people have in their setups, so even if the fractal has good protection, other gear you have may not

For example, an expensive gaming computer

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Of course he would say that, is his business to represent the Axe FX as this exceptional machine that has amazing protection from the factory, but the axe fx is not the only electronic people have in their setups, so even if the fractal has good protection, other gear you have may not

For example, an expensive gaming computer

Fractal products are used on stages all over the world. Most touring racks have an inexpensive Furman or similar surge protector. And, venues have notoriously bad power. Something to keep in mind. (I was in and out of the industry for 30 years, so I have seen pretty much everything the pros actually use and have built custom amplifiers for many of them.)

Also, I see you have created at least 4 threads on this topic. The answer you seek is all you need is surge protection unless you have a specific problem. If that comes up, solve that specific problem using the correct tool. The rest is nothing more than good feelz. Power conditioning is not an actual thing.

I run my iRacing 'gaming' computer on a $120 Furman 'power conditioner' and have for many years. No problems ever.

Top Bottom