• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
How would you describe the differences between them?
I use a measuring microphone and PEQ, I have a sub and I'm listening nearfield. Once run through EQ, and not having done a proper side by side comparrison, just relying on the famously unreliable acoustice memory, I don't think the difference is massive and they both sound pretty good.

However, I did need fewer EQ settings to get the KH150s to my target:

1696015095484.png

In my room, the KH150s were much "flatter" out of the box, which is in keeping with Amir's findings. Although Amir hasn't measured the Core 7, he did measure the Core 47 3 way, which was "lumpier" than the similarly proportioned Neumann KH 310 3 way.

So, the KH 150s are probably technically better and perhaps someone more discerning than I am would have a stronger preference. I could live with either, but I'll stick with the KH150s, as they are more compact. :)

I find it interesting, that my most recent systems, which I have bought purely on spec and recommendation, completely unheard, sound far better than systems I had in the past, which I bought after spending hours traipsing around dealers, listening to various set-ups in demo rooms.

Last edited:

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I find it interesting, that my most recent systems, which I have bought purely on spec and recommendation, completely unheard, sound far better than systems I had in the past, which I bought after spending hours trapsing around dealers, listening to various set-ups in demo rooms.
Thanks for your great answer to my question. The quoted text applies to many, I think: Science beats subjectivity.

monx

It's interesting to see all the ultrawide/curved screens in this thread, but it makes sense (have one myself).

Seems like if you want your stereo pair 60 degrees apart, that limits your display options. But I like the creative solutions on the thread too. :)

Also wondering... Has anybody posted with a perforated desk setup?

Ziltoe

So amazing to see, that so many people have just GREAT stuff at their desks, Neumann, Genelec, Dynaudio, etc. creme de la creme. Thumbs up :)

eboleyn

Forum Donor
My desktop setup:

PXL_20230917_183254367.MP.jpg

The speaker setup is:
  • Speakers: Custom-built bi-amped Purifi 6.5X Alu mid/woofer + RAAL 140-15D ribbon.
  • Amps: Purifi 1ET400A amps, 4 channels total, 1 per speaker driver.
  • Sub: Rythmik E15 sealed subwoofer.
  • DAC/active crossover: DEQX HDP-5 DSP.

Headphone setup is:
  • Headphones: RAAL SR-1a ribbon headphones
  • Amp: Sometimes First Watt Sit-3 or Topping PA5 depending on mood.
  • DAC: Topping D90SE

There is also a Behringer DEQ2496 used for source selection/equalization, mostly on the headphones, and to the left, some Pass Labs amps I occasionally use.

Erich

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Focal Sib Evo driven by a class D amp and coupled with a sub-woofer.
Sound quality is good, far sufficient for a computer.

zel6.jpg

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Home desktop setup:
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and Neumann KH 150

Office:
Bowers & Wilkins MM-1

Chesapeake HT

IMG_6906.jpeg
IMG_6907.jpeg
Finally completed the finish on my monitor riser. Did a torch treatment, followed by sanding, tung oil, and a final coat of danish oil. JDS Atom+ amp and DAC with GD graphics, Fosi V3, Polk PSW10 (free with a speaker order), Polk ES10s on kanto stands, Sennheiser HD650s, Apple Music, and just about all of the dead’s released material! Sounds great and looks good too. Mac mini is my personal and I can share monitor with work PC via USB-C. Real happy with how things turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 326902Finally completed the finish on my monitor riser. Did a torch treatment, followed by sanding, tung oil, and a final coat of danish oil. JDS Atom+ amp and DAC with GD graphics, Fosi V3, Polk PSW10 (free with a speaker order), Polk ES10s on kanto stands, Sennheiser HD650s, Apple Music, and just about all of the dead’s released material! Sounds great and looks good too. Mac mini is my personal and I can share monitor with work PC via USB-C. Real happy with how things turned out.
Have you tried mounting the speakers higher (tweeter at ear height)? IME SQ gets better due to less reflections from the desktop.

Chesapeake HT

Have you tried mounting the speakers higher (tweeter at ear height)? IME SQ gets better due to less reflections from the desktop.
The speaker stands (and temporary boxes) raise the speakers and aim the tweeters to ear level. At some point I may measure with Umik and REW, but for now my ears tell my brain they are happy.

Smitty2k1

My desktop is basically all ASR approved:
- Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus speakers
- Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC+HP amp
- Wiim Pro streamer
- Hifiman HE400se headphones for listening
- Drop x Sennheiser PC38x headset w/ Apple dongle for work

Guess it just needs a VU meter...

Attachments

• 20231219_142123.jpg
    20231219_142123.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 114

just1n

Forum Donor
Bought some used KH120A’s, SMSL C200, and WiiM Pro. Looking at a Kali WS-6.2 because the KH750 is too pricey. The Neumanns are just missing the bottom end for most listening.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom