• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd been meaning to fill the cave basement with more stuff to reduce the reverberant effects with the 8361A set-up. I initially wanted it more an entertainment space, but never found a moment in the two years when to make that happen.

So I just up'd and bought a standing desk, moved all my work stuff, and made the basement my office.

View attachment 357680

View attachment 357684

The work screen sits behind the 8361A listening position and is somewhat of a high freq. noise eater. It helped way more than I thought it would with the echo. The improved measurement seem to align with what I was hearing. Though, I could still honestly fill the room with more... junk lol.

Before treatments from 2 years ago vs. today with diffusion, furniture, and junk
View attachment 357689

View attachment 357690

View attachment 357692
View attachment 357694

Maybe I should, at some point, swap the 8330As with white 8331A's to match...hm..
What would be cool is if you can use the 8330s in a surround setup with just 2+2. Maybe to listen to quad music.

KaLam1ty

How is that working out for you? Do you notice a healthier position? I have arthritis of the tailbone and what seemingly is a bad left thigh from some issue I have no idea what it is and have been contemplating a standing desk. Does your convert to a sit down mode too?
The one I have is a motor operated Uplift. I've only had it for a month now, so I don't have a definitive opinion on long-term physical improvements. But I really like it. The goal for these desks isn't to become standing all day, but as a tool to give you more than a static position to be in.

The added mobility and movement makes me more mentally focused -- as opposed to sitting and shifting around in a chair all evening. It's also way better than simply setting a reminder to just get up and grab some water every now and then.

For instance, I work remotely; so being in a standing position, I find myself way more attentive during non-face-to-face web meetings.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is that working out for you? Do you notice a healthier position? I have arthritis of the tailbone and what seemingly is a bad left thigh from some issue I have no idea what it is and have been contemplating a standing desk. Does your convert to a sit down mode too?
They are great. Fully motorized and they go up and down as you wish. Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are great. Fully motorized and they go up and down as you wish. Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon.
Motorized!!! Realllly.... I like that a lot. Very interesting. What does it approximately weigh in the cardboard box as new?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The one I have is a motor operated Uplift. I've only had it for a month now, so I don't have a definitive opinion on long-term physical improvements. But I really like it. The goal for these desks isn't to become standing all day, but as a tool to give you more than a static position to be in.

The added mobility and movement makes me more mentally focused -- as opposed to sitting and shifting around in a chair all evening. It's also way better than simply setting a reminder to just get up and grab some water every now and then.

For instance, I work remotely; so being in a standing position, I find myself way more attentive during non-face-to-face web meetings.
Interesting details and features as you describe them. I must investigate this stuff. I think it would fit very well into my lifestyle and needs.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Motorized!!! Realllly.... I like that a lot. Very interesting. What does it approximately weigh in the cardboard box as new?
It wasn’t much. Very easy to assemble.

Edit: 82lbs. But really just lay out a blanket place the top upside down on it and then screw the legs on and it’s done. Then invert.

If not you can get someone on Taskrabiit to do it for you.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It wasn’t much. Very easy to assemble.

Edit: 82lbs. But really just lay out a blanket place the top upside down on it and then screw the legs on and it’s done. Then invert.

If not you can get someone on Taskrabiit to do it for you.
It all sounds very doable for me. I think I need another desk so I'll then have two and I'll use my forthcoming carbon rebate for the new desk... Hehehe. I can always use another desktop for stuFF. Thanks Doods!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1710883687101.jpeg

i7 laptop/Monitor/Roon > Bluesound Node > Emotiva BassX Amp > 1979 Speaker Lab 8" two way kit Speakers that I built for my Mom to give to my Dad + Toshiba LED TV &/or 10" tablet as a remote. Out of view two car bays that allow for big projects when cars are pulled outside and benches, equipment, shelving, wood, unfinished projects and a WC. Won the coin toss for the "Center For Spiritual Growth" sign when our startup got started in their old 1500 sq-ft building in Foster City CA. Latest addition, "measure once, cuss twice" sign. Rhino is Plastic.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is my desk in standing mode. It's motorized with presets. I love that the miniDSP Flex also has config presets so I can have a Dirac config and different delays for standing mode.

IMG_4830.jpeg

Robin L

Master Contributor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To tie this all together and explain how it's hooked up better than words will, here is a system diagram of the whole thing:

View attachment 357133

Here is my desk in standing mode. It's motorized with presets. I love that the miniDSP Flex also has config presets so I can have a Dirac config and different delays for standing mode.

View attachment 357733

It's nice to see someone else has measured/listened in seated vs standing and noticed marked differences. I do basically the same thing - RME ADI-2 Pro for headphones and digital output into miniDSP for speakers/subs (currently C-DSP 8x12 DL, but when I find time to rewire everything will go to digital I/O Flex with digital coax to the mains and then a 2x4HD as controller-DAC for the subs) and miniDSP's presets are hugely helpful.

One issue with most sit/stand desks, especially if you're reasonably tall, is that they wobble like hell in the standing position. There are 4-legged models that are more expensive but IME actually usable while standing without getting seasick. After trying a few 2-legged ones I found Deskhaus's 4-legged frame and it resolved all my issues with the 2-legged sit/stand desks. Pricier but IMO worth it for the stability and build quality.

Top Bottom