• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha WXA-50 vs R-N803

thetrystero

I was initially going to get the R-N803 for a mix of audio and TV (plex, netflix), to pair with the DBR62, when I learned that the WXA-50 actually has higher quality internals. is that right? (something about class D vs class AB IIRC and 4-ohm rating)
The WXA-50 looks quite a bit smaller than the R-N803. I looked at the specs but can't quite tell what features would be useful for me as my setup is quite basic (just the integrated amp and speakers for now). I'll be streaming from a NAS over Gigabit Ethernet.
Would I be missing much if I were to go for the WXA-50 instead ( if indeed it'll give me higher fidelity sound)? I'd probably want to add a turntable and subwoofer in future.

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
DBR62 like power, I would recommend R-N803 as good All-In-One device, with 100 W per channel as lower border for ELACs. For more power, there are Purify ET400 based amplifiers.

OP
T

thetrystero

DBR62 like power, I would recommend R-N803 as good All-In-One device, with 100 W per channel as lower border for ELACs. For more power, there are Purify ET400 based amplifiers.
Thanks. I've settled on the hypex nc252mp unit by audiophonics.

GiBo61

Thanks. I've settled on the hypex nc252mp unit by audiophonics.
Can you tell us your opinion on the Hypex nc252mp by Audiophinics? How do they sound in your setup? Any background noise coming from the speakers? Do you drive them with a preamp or a DAC?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Huh I don't know what to say. I don't see IcePower 125ASX2 as a better solution than Sanken transistors nor more quality one. Ice will have cleaner output at it's max lv but Sunken can give more (120 vs 60W at 8 Ohm's) and will stay equally clean to Ice's at 60W, of course class D will stay more power efficient on the other hand AB is more repairable. As much as I know WXA-50 doesn't have phono input and R-N803(D) doesn't have a sub output.
I do think Yamaha range with a Sunken power stage is a very good from what you can find currently on market. Unfortunately the R-N line (last couple of generations at least) doesn't have sub out, new SA line doesn't have MusicCaste or network but it does have a USB UA 2.0 input and a sub out. I bought the R-N402D (same power stage as N803, simpler input stage which can be bypassed in similar manner, no phono input or sub out) in mint condition for a half price because I didn't want a Sabre DAC but targeted older Burr brown (Ti) simply because it had better (more refined) implementation than first generation products that switch to Sabre 24 generation (last generation of SA uses Sabre 32 gen DAC's) and for me it's a keeper. If you want to use MusicCaste DLNA or other type of WiFi (2.4 GHz only) sharing/streaming be sure to buy a deacent WiFi (12~18 dB) antenna as the stock one is waek and flimsy and also that you have a deacent rooter (even when wired connection) which will handle requests properly (Ping, QoS) meaning industrial application one or a good home one with good maintained open source software.
Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, best regards.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Of the two originally mentioned I would always have gone for the RN-803d. It has more power, and a basic dsp room eq system. Of course, the Hypex is superb, but it is only a power amplifier.

Top Bottom