• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha HS5 Powered Monitor Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Standardizing distortion measurements by spl/distance eg. 95dB/1m 1kHz would help comparisons.
That, is standardized as I explained in the review. Soundstage uses 90 dB at 2 meter which is what I used. That translates into 106 dB at 1/3 meter which is what I tested at (soundstage uses 96 dB at 1 meter). So all distortion measurements are comparable to what soundstage is using. Which is also very close to what you are asking.

What was NOT standardized was the spinorama measurements because I ran those before the distortion tests and forgot to set levels there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, just wow! That was lightning fast. Yesterday you were just about to order it. How is it possible?
As explained, this is the beauty of the system. Once the setup is done to tell it where not to go as to hit the speaker, the rest is automated and takes about an hour. It then takes me another hour to document the results and do some listening tests. Compare this to entire weekend people spend measuring speakers outside and such.

The upfront system configuration is still painful due to way the software works and some bugs. I have to figure out exactly what is wrong with it to ask Klippel to fix it. Right now it takes me half hour to full hour just to get it configured. :( And sometimes the scan hits obstacles and I have to reconfigure and start again.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought people were sending in speakers to measure, is that not happening as much as you hoped? Do you happen to have a relationship with any Hifi shops in the area? They may let you take a display model of speakers to measure, they may want a deposit but it shouldn't cost you anything. It would be nice to get some measurements of some brands like KEF, Monitor Audio, Paradigm and other high end brands that are short on measurements.
Some speakers have been sent and more are coming. The reason I bought a few is that I like to as quickly possible build a baseline of measurements and sound quality of speakers so member speakers can be judged more easily. And that we have better coverage of a category of speakers (budget ones in this case) than random sampling of what gets sent in.

I am also building up confidence in measurement system especially in this case since I noticed there is anechoic measurements from Harman. And for my listening tests.

But yes, it costs money and stuff takes up space. Given the huge investment though in the measurement system, I think we need to spend some money to feed it stuff to measure as to make the results useful. This happened with budget DACs which helped develop the standardized suite of measurements I now routinely run.

I do have a relationship with a small hifi shop locally but they don't have a ton to measure (they deal a lot in used gear). With other shops, they could get in serious trouble if I review something that doesn't sound good and manufacturer found that they sent in a unit for review. Manufacturers like to control what gets reviewed and by whom.

As to your specifics, a KEF has been promised for review by a local member. I just have to make the time to go and visit him (150 mile round trip). That drive costs as much as some of these budget speakers though!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, when you listen to speakers are they always set up the same way?
So far yes. They are all powered mini-monitors so I have them flanking my monitor just like I had the NHTs there before. That means they are pointed at me and about a 1 foot from the wall behind them. There is nothing behind me for 40 feet. Ceiling is slanted and goes way up as well.

I plan to create a new area to test passive speakers as I have no amp on my desk. And may test powered monitors in the same spot.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I plan to create a new area to test passive speakers as I have no amp on my desk. And may test powered monitors in the same spot.
Why not just add a small class D amplifier on the desk, like an NCore MP based?

Pio2001

A neat thing happens in that you get a second impulse at negative time that represents distortion. Apply an FFT to it and you get the distortion present at all frequencies.

Put another way, at any point on the distortion graph that I showed, you see the sum total of distortions existing at that frequency. It is not the THD+N measurement of distortion at that single frequency tone.

Yes, that's right. This is a big improvement in measurements.

But after that, the frequencies are shifted so that they are properly displayed in the graph.
Look carefully at the high frequencies : the H2 curve stops at 10 kHz because the second harmonic ceased to be measured once it reached 20 kHz, and the H3 curve stops at 6666 Hz for the same reason : 6666 x 3 = 20 kHz, where the measurement stopped.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

This measurement correlates well with the ones published by Yamaha in The owners manual.
This is another example of a bi-amped, but passive crossover speaker.

To me it appears that crossover design was intentional to yield a particular response.

The HS8 has a flatter and smoother response. it is also a much bigger speaker.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far yes. They are all powered mini-monitors so I have them flanking my monitor just like I had the NHTs there before. That means they are pointed at me and about a 1 foot from the wall behind them. There is nothing behind me for 40 feet. Ceiling is slanted and goes way up as well.

Thanks for info.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

This measurement correlates well with the ones published by Yamaha in The owners manual.
This is another example of a bi-amped, but passive crossover speaker.

To me it appears that crossover design was intentional to yield a particular response.

Difficult to know what is intentional or not. If the peaking was between 1-2 kHz and dip 2-5 kHz I could image that is was intentional in terms of compensation for the timbral errors caused by the stereo system (as published Shirley et al and others).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why not just add a small class D amplifier on the desk, like an NCore MP based?
Half the time I don't have enough room to put my glass on the desk let alone have room for an amp. :)

Pio2001

I put my Neumann KH-120 on a desk once...

grumpy.jpg

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I put my Neumann KH-120 on a desk once...

View attachment 46553

:) fine each have a opinion but how can speaker position in subjective review satisfy everones preference or optimal position per tested model, suggest jump over/ignore info for subjective part provided in "Informal Listening Test" if one disagree the used setup there, objective part should be reference everyone should enjoy, that said amirm is trained.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yeh, I have heard those once. Anyone want to second this? Hate to buy it and someone saying it isn't a real Genelec. :)
I wouldn't choose the 8010A, since it's the only model that doesn't sport the Genelec textured waveguide (baffle is probably too small) and is a few years older than the 8020D/8030C.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Half the time I don't have enough room to put my glass on the desk let alone have room for an amp. :)
Amir, have you considered testing the Presonus Eris 5xt model? Small 5" active monitor with an elliptical waveguide. I am looking for some smaller desk monitors and would love to see the performance these offer.

test1223

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am really impressed by the good work here so thank you very much Amir.

Since the klippel system calculates the whole wave field of the speaker there are a lot of possibilities which no other measuring system can offer. No real world speaker provides a solely spherical wave front, therefore deviation with different listening distances should occur. It would be very interesting to display the deviations of the frequency response by choosing different listening distances. Is this possible by the software?

Further investigation of the listening spot where the wave front hits the head and body would also by very interesting. The variance of the frequency responses is one part here the other point is the curvature of the wave front which leads to different head related transfer functions. There are so many possibilities even to the point where current research has not found sophisticated answers. Since you are so nice to provide the data I guess researchers might also be interested in the data. I thing your work will have a positive impact to the audio world.

I have one comment to the interpretation of the harmonic distortion. As far as I know the band from 1kHz to 2kHz is the most sensitive to hear lower order harmonic distortion. This is due to the frequencies of the harmonics which fall in the very sensitive region of about 4kHz and due to the lack of masking from the fundamental frequencies.

As others already mentioned intermodulation distortion would be very interesting since it much more correlates with the perceived quality.

Keep up the good work
Thomas

Xyrium

Forum Donor
OMG, please get the aforementioned portable Class D power, and test the Revel M16's please!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be very interesting to display the deviations of the frequency response by choosing different listening distances. Is this possible by the software?
Sure. In far field this just changes the amplitude and nothing else. In near-field however, it does show the wavefront in 360 degrees. It can even animate it! This is the static one at 1 kHz:

1579476838856.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, have you considered testing the Presonus Eris 5xt model? Small 5" active monitor with an elliptical waveguide. I am looking for some smaller desk monitors and would love to see the performance these offer.
OK, I ordered it. At some point you all need to chip in to buy these as I am not too fond of just having hot dogs and chips for dinners. :)

Top Bottom