• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Y-split balanced signal?

bsdinis

I currently have my Topping D10 Balanced DAC connected to my Sabaj A20h headphone amplifier, but the DAC only has one set of outputs.
I want to connect a pair of active monitors simultaneously to the headphone amplifier, will a Y-splitter such as this one degrade the signal in any way?

1-4-Inch-TRS-6-35mm-to-Dual-XLR-Male-Audio-Cable-for-Microphone-DV-Camera.jpg_640x640.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not get switching box like this instead?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I currently have my Topping D10 Balanced DAC connected to my Sabaj A20h headphone amplifier, but the DAC only has one set of outputs.
I want to connect a pair of active monitors simultaneously to the headphone amplifier, will a Y-splitter such as this one degrade the signal in any way?

1-4-Inch-TRS-6-35mm-to-Dual-XLR-Male-Audio-Cable-for-Microphone-DV-Camera.jpg_640x640.jpg
Provided this cable is made for that purpose, it will be fine. You have to check the headphone output voltage and the input sensitivity of your speakers though. Don’t you have a line output on your DAC or preamp?

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Provided this cable is made for that purpose, it will be fine. You have to check the headphone output voltage and the input sensitivity of your speakers though. Don’t you have a line output on your DAC or preamp?
I want to split a balanced line level signal into two inputs

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I want to split a balanced line level signal into two inputs
Now I am confused.

Initially, I thought you wanted to split your unbalanced headphone out (single TRS connector - tip carries left and ring right channel) which provides the signal for two channels into left and right speakers which each have a XLR connector (balanced in).

Sorry if I misread or misunderstood.

1674983976507.png

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I think I now know what you meant. If you want to connect and use headphones and monitors simultaneously you need a preamp with separate controllable output because your monitors and headphones (usually) have different sensitivity and input impedances. My audio interface has this for example.

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

I think I now know what you meant. If you want to connect and use headphones and monitors simultaneously you need a preamp with separate controllable output because your monitors and headphones (usually) have different sensitivity and input impedances. My audio interface has this for example.
I'm (you're) still super confused with your answer. preamp? hp sensitivity? I want to connect my DAC (which only has one set of (balanced/differential line level) outputs) to both a headphone amplifier and a pair of active speakers. The headphone amplifier has its own stepped resistor ladder volume control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom