• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

xDuoo Link Portable Headphone DAC & Amp

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the xDuoo Link USB-C smartphone headphone adapter (DAC & Amplifier). It was kindly sent to me by a member. The Link costs US $48 on Amazon including free shipping so it is on the premium side of these devices.

One look at the Link though and you are convinced you are getting your money's worth:

xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Portable Audio Review.jpg

Even the orange packaging it comes in is beautifully designed. There are a set of volume and play/skip buttons on the other side which likewise have excellent feel and usability. All in all, I was most impressed with the xDuoo externally.

For my testing, I used my Windows Desktop machine's USB-C port direct into Link. xDuoo does not provide an adapter for typical USB-C port on computers so make sure you pick one up if by odd chance you want to use it on the computer.

Headphone Adapter Audio Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard view of feeding a pure, digital 1 kHz tone and see what all comes out of the unit (with no load):

xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Portable Audio Measurements.png

Well, I am quickly disappointed with 1 volt output. This is typical of many of these dongles and immediately tells me it won't have much power to drive high impedance headphones (300 ohm and higher). Power = Voltage * Voltage/Resistance. So if you don't have a lot of voltage, you don't have a lot of power either.

Measured distortion is higher than specified which is another disappointment. While there are a lot of dongles in this territory, when you pay a premium, you expect lower noise and distortion. Here is where the Link ranks among all DACs:

Best review headphone adapter smartphone.png

Jitter and noise is typical of these products:
xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Jitter Portable Audio Measurements.png

Intermodulation noise is good though:

xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Portable IMD Audio Measurements.png

All of the above are with essentially no load on the unit, tested as a DAC. Let's put 300 ohms on it to simulate a high impedance headphone and see what we get:

xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Portable Power into 300 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

That's not good. We have similar power to Apple dongle which retails for just $9.

The situation gets much worse with low 33 ohm impedance load:

xDuoo Link USB-C Phone Dongle Headphone Adapter Portable Power into 33 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

There is a design problem where distortion shoots way up before it runs out of current and severely clips again. Using the first burst of distortion, power is negligible at just 1.8 milliwatt. You get that much probably from your phone alone. Allowing for much more distortion, we get to the advertised 32 milliwatt spec.

Output impedance is very low and hence excellent:
Best headphone amplifier output impedance.png

Headphone Listening Tests
Performance with my Sennheiser HD-650 was OK. There was not a lot of bass impact and levels were just adequate. Switching to much lower impedance hifiman HE400i produced a bit more volume but I could sense distortion during music passages with bass.

Conclusions
They say don't judge a book by its cover. That is so true here. What looks remarkably nice and usable, lacks the guts to provide real performance. The mechanical designer deserves an A+ for the way the xDuoo Link looks and operates. The electronics designer though has failed us. Given how much larger this device is than a typical dongle, there is no excuse for providing so little output power.

Sadly I cannot recommend xDuoo Link.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

As you see and I reported a few days ago, the "I don't know" panther suffered a major injury and lost one of its arms. Now the rest of the panthers are worried about the dangers of working for me and are demanding body doubles for risky shoots! I am thinking of buying some plastic panthers but that means spending boat load of money. So please help me by donating using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
homepage claims:
According to the impedance of different headsets, it will dynamic self-adapting earphone impedance, earplugs to large ears can be easily solved, supporting up to 600Ω high resistance headphones.
See? "supporting", not "driving" :) I remember even the DAC/Amp SOC manufacturers claim "only" 300Ohm support with their 2V RMS models.
Each company explicitally mentioning higher ohm headphones on their product pages should also specify outpout power for them. (they list 32 ohm only in this case).

This is more of a USB-C to jack converter than a solid dongle competition. Come on Xduoo, I know you can do better :)

No, I take all my criticism back, all is fine, forget about it. We are just too demanding for a piece of cable these days! :p

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The job is too dangerous given all the negative reviews so no insurance carrier wants to cover them....
Thank you for continuing to use him as one of your top models. It's nice to see that you aren't biased against his disabled status nor trying to blame him for the injury itself. His work ethic is commendable, so it's good to see how appreciated he is. The same of course can be said for the hero of (too) many reviews, the indefatigable cephalically-challenged panther.

bogart

Forum Donor
Thank you for continuing to use him as one of your top models. It's nice to see that you aren't biased against his disabled status nor trying to blame him for the injury itself. His work ethic is commendable, so it's good to see how appreciated he is. The same of course can be said for the hero of (too) many reviews, the indefatigable cephalically-challenged panther.

This guy is lucky he kept his shoulder mobility. May need a little physical therapy, but it looks like he can shrug all the way to retirement after a long career.

thehun

I always wondered what users are these dongles were designed for? The cellphone user who's phone lacks the 3.5mm jack or for laptop users on the go? In either case I find that BT especially TWS are far more practical these days, they probably don't measure too well[ if it can be done at all] and the good ones tend to be pricey, but the convenience and fun factor is undeniable.

DosThou

Thanks for the review. Disappointing performance, seems these dongles are mostly crapshoots.

I always wondered what users are these dongles were designed for? The cellphone user who's phone lacks the 3.5mm jack or for laptop users on the go? In either case I find that BT especially TWS are far more practical these days, they probably don't measure too well[ if it can be done at all] and the good ones tend to be pricey, but the convenience and fun factor is undeniable.
Users who don't want *another* device whose battery they have to constantly care about and just want to stick it into their phone and sounds good for cabled head/earphones (which haven't gone extinct--actually doing fine with constant releases almost every month--despite what some BT users may be saying). Some of these dongles are actually even better than desktop units.

thehun

Thanks for the review. Disappointing performance, seems these dongles are mostly crapshoots.

Users who don't want *another* device whose battery they have to constantly care about and just want to stick it into their phone and sounds good for cabled head/earphones (which haven't gone extinct--actually doing fine with constant releases almost every month--despite what some BT users may be saying). Some of these dongles are actually even better than desktop units.
well clearly there is a market for it, I just wondered who.

Asylum Seeker

Plenty of good Android phones out there still with 3.5mm headphone port.

Top Bottom