• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WXC-50 - how to bypass DAC??

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It was in my first post:
the digital output is now controlled by the volume knob on front, even in direct mode.
Re-reading that first post, after our back and forth, yes, it makes sense now. Initially reading your first post, I didn't understand that there was an option called "Direct Mode", I thought you meant something like directly connected. I apologize and make no excuses to my misunderstanding, but it would have been really helpful if the original post said "If you enable Direct mode in the WXC-50, all internal processing is bypassed, allowing you to use PreAmp mode and thus use the volume knob."

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Re-reading that first post, after our back and forth, yes, it makes sense now. Initially reading your first post, I didn't understand that there was an option called "Direct Mode", I thought you meant something like directly connected. I apologize and make no excuses to my misunderstanding, but it would have been really helpful if the original post said "If you enable Direct mode in the WXC-50, all internal processing is bypassed, allowing you to use PreAmp mode and thus use the volume knob."
I will say that in all of your back and forth and the other thread re: thermal management and vertical orientation, I've learned it is quite a nifty device with good optionality

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why you're getting so mad. I'm actually posting actual links to Yamaha and you're only making statements, so I'd love to see some evidence of what you're saying is correct. I actually own 3 WXC-50's and 2 WXA-50's so I'm very interested in this issue.

According to Yamaha's WXC-50 manual, page 7, it states:
MODE: Player - The volume is controlled by audio devices connected to the Pre Out / Opt Out / Coax Out jacks. The unit outputs audio at maximum volume. Additionally some sound processing effects (Equalizer, Enhancer, Bass Extension, Direct, Monaural Downmix and Speaker Type) are disabled.

MODE: PreAmp - The volume is controlled by the unit or by the MusicCastController
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't say anything about disabling processing using PreAmp mode, so I'd love to know where you're getting your information.

I think you are confusing Digital to Analog Conversion with Digital Signal Processing

In pre amp mode, the digital out is obviously going via DSP, at the very least for volume but maybe some of the other processing mentioned in the manual- dont think anyone is debating that (this makes it different to my streamer- but thats irrelevant)

That is not the same as saying the digital out has gone via the DAC chip- it surely has not been converted to analog to then be converted back to digital for output via toslink/ coax.

I think only Yamaha or someone cracking the lid can tell us what route a digital out signal takes through the board.

EDIT- @SimpleTheater - didnt see your post a few up. I think we are all on the same page now?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21726

In my opinion WXC-50 has a very good soundquality on it's own.
There's difference in analog output soundquality with pre amp mode vs player mode.
When you bypass volume control soundquality is much better, imo.
There is also difference in soundquality on optical output with pre amp mode vs player mode.

I had Linn Akurate DSM/0 before, it had better soundquality than Yamaha. Some areas. It costs 9300euros.
Still, i greatly enjoy music with Yamaha. In my opinion it really is very good streamer.
Analog output is embarrassingly good. Regardless the price.

mika91

Hi,

Didn't find any measurements of the WXC-50 DAC (to feed an ncore power amplifier)
I guess it's the same dac used in wxa-50, but maybe it sounds better due to the lack of the icepower board.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks

M234040

Hi people,
I am new here, and joined the forum mostly because it turned up when googling this Yamaha-unit!
I think you can help me answer my question about this unit!
I also think I can help you clear up whatever is left of confusion regarding the OP’s question in this thread!

First off: My question:
I am considering buying this simply because it has optical in and coaxial out with a volume control and a remote in between. I have not been able, for years, to find a cheaper way to do this.
I simply want to go Apple TV optical out -> volume control -> Active speakers AES/EBU in(coaxial is compatible with this).
The only thing I wonder about is:
How good is the remote?
Is it bluetooth? Wi-fi? Or simply old school IR were the unit needs to be out on display and free line of sight? (Hopefulley not the latter, I want all audio gear in cupboards away from children and cats).

Hopefully you can help me with this.
As for the OP,

DAC: Yes. The D/A Converter(DAC) is bypassed simply because you are using a digital output.

Volume: Even if you are using the volume-control of the unit, which can be bypassed, it is 48bit wordlenght, and digital volume control is extremely simple math that is done the same no matter the price tag of the unit.
2-1=1 wether you got your calculator for free or use the worlds most expensive supercomputer. For the fun of it, I have done tests confirming this by comparing, bit by bit, volume control results as done in different professional audio mixers. From the cheapest behringer, to $500,000 film consoles they get the exact same values in digital volume control even when summing tens of tracks together. You can use preamp-mode without any degradation!

DSP: The unit can perform some other compensation and processing in its built in DSP. The quality depends completely on how it is programmed, but it does alter the audio. If you don’t need or want it, as me, it can be completely bypassed.

Hope this helps, and that the OP or others can help with my remote control question!

Farenheit

Hi people,
I am new here, and joined the forum mostly because it turned up when googling this Yamaha-unit!
I think you can help me answer my question about this unit!
I also think I can help you clear up whatever is left of confusion regarding the OP’s question in this thread!

First off: My question:
I am considering buying this simply because it has optical in and coaxial out with a volume control and a remote in between. I have not been able, for years, to find a cheaper way to do this.
I simply want to go Apple TV optical out -> volume control -> Active speakers AES/EBU in(coaxial is compatible with this).
The only thing I wonder about is:
How good is the remote?
Is it bluetooth? Wi-fi? Or simply old school IR were the unit needs to be out on display and free line of sight? (Hopefulley not the latter, I want all audio gear in cupboards away from children and cats).

Hopefully you can help me with this.
As for the OP,

DAC: Yes. The D/A Converter(DAC) is bypassed simply because you are using a digital output.

Volume: Even if you are using the volume-control of the unit, which can be bypassed, it is 48bit wordlenght, and digital volume control is extremely simple math that is done the same no matter the price tag of the unit.
2-1=1 wether you got your calculator for free or use the worlds most expensive supercomputer. For the fun of it, I have done tests confirming this by comparing, bit by bit, volume control results as done in different professional audio mixers. From the cheapest behringer, to $500,000 film consoles they get the exact same values in digital volume control even when summing tens of tracks together. You can use preamp-mode without any degradation!

DSP: The unit can perform some other compensation and processing in its built in DSP. The quality depends completely on how it is programmed, but it does alter the audio. If you don’t need or want it, as me, it can be completely bypassed.

Hope this helps, and that the OP or others can help with my remote control question!

Hello, it is IR, but it comes prepared to connect an external sensor. It is also my first message. I am a former member of a Spanish forum www.matrixfifi.com with the same philosophy of ASR where we already dealt with the same topics 20 years ago!!!

M234040

Thanks for that!

is it also possible to control volume of the unit from the Musiccast app?
Since all linear TV here as well as most TV-streaming services is now -23 LUFS and other streaming services, including music is now around -14, there is not as much use for a remote as it used to be, so it needen’t be as accesible as before. Everything else is controlled by the ohone anyway;-)
Hello, it is IR, but it comes prepared to connect an external sensor. It is also my first message. I am a former member of a Spanish forum www.matrixfifi.com with the same philosophy of ASR where we already dealt with the same topics 20 years ago!!!

M234040

Yes. It does indeed resample everything to 48kHz. Which is insane.
i use it as a purely digital hub for a couple of Dynaudio air 20s. Mostly for pleasure, but I do evaluate some professional audio content on them. Luckily that is all 48kHz content to begin with.
FYI: The volume controlling DSP is Yamaha YSS952 which resamples to 48 kHz.

gopher

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread! I was looking for answers on using the digital outs on my own WXC-50 and they were provided here.

BitPerfect_

Yes. It does indeed resample everything to 48kHz. Which is insane.

Is that a bad thing, are distortions involved? Thanks,

LE: Actually the answer was right in my nickname accidentally chosen; I'm new into this DAC thing, but reading more on this subject, I put the puzzle pieces together (hope that is right). It won't be a bit perfect anymore.

I guess that resampling to 48kHz is related to the fact that any alteration (DSP, volume leveling, etc.) changes the sample rates. Make sense because, using the WXC-50 as a PreAmp, even if we are into the Direct mode, there are still some sound characteristics applied. Could be related to the Speaker type mentioned by SimpleTheater and in the manual or any other setting that remain active.

Anyway, as gopher mentioned, I would also like to thanks to all who have replied to this thread. I just landed here looking for answers, the whole forum is pure gold.

Last edited:

GiBo61

Is the level of the Yamaha's WXC-50 analog outputs high enough to feed a Class D amplifier based on either Hypex NC252MP or Hypex NC502MP?

gopher

Is the level of the Yamaha's WXC-50 analog outputs high enough to feed a Class D amplifier based on either Hypex NC252MP or Hypex NC502MP?
Haven't tried any amps like that. My manual says the preamp output is rated for 2.0 Volts / 470 ohms and it works beautifully with my Adcom GFA5300.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Worked perfectly with my old school amp. The WXC-50 is designed to be able to be used as a pre-amp.

Top Bottom