• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would ZeroSurge or SurgeX worth it and would make sound worse?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

All MOV's are problematic i.e. they are sacrificial and degrade with use. They divert the surge to the Neutral and Ground conductors so they don't really eliminate it. Once on the Neutral and Ground the surges have new lives and a chance to do more damage. For Furman, once the current Series Mode patents expire they may be able to "improve" their version of it (by copying the newer patents) and get rid of the MOV resulting in fewer if any returns.

if Furman uses the inductors for advanced series mode, wouldn't that mean their design would have to change?

It would have to in brick or rack mode, as it may not fit or work in the PST-8 strip size

So when these patents expire, the PST-8 may remain as is and they will come up with a new line of products advertising true serie mode

If the price of a PST8 is $200, it used to be $100 dont know how the hell they increase the price

Then, their new line will cost just as much as Zero Surge or maybe slightly less

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a SurgeX but I don’t use it with my Class AB power amp, which has a linear power supply. It works well with all my other components but limits the current draw on my power amp to the point that it makes it sound worse.

If I had a power amp with a switching power supply, like the Benchmark, I’d think it would be fine.

Top Bottom