• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would ZeroSurge or SurgeX worth it and would make sound worse?

Pancreas

The most affordable one is Zerosurge 8 outlet isolated duplex receptacles.

Its $325. I wonder if is worth spending on this for piece of mind. I have expensive, computer, console. studio monitors, guitar amp modeler, TV, etc.

I don't feel comfortable having all this equipment plugged into a $25 surge protectors sold on Amazon tbh

My concern since I'm a guitar player and use the studio monitors, would these expensive surge protectors make the sound worse?

Fred H

Forum Donor
I have Zerosurges on our TV/Tivo/DAC (not the amps, but I'm considering plugging them in too as they are Class D) and my PC/DAC/amp to protect them from surges. I doubt that either of them affect the sound as every test that @amirm has done on power units has shown them to have no effect on the performance of downstream equipment.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have Zerosurges on our TV/Tivo/DAC (not the amps, but I'm considering plugging them in too as they are Class D) and my PC/DAC/amp to protect them from surges. I doubt that either of them affect the sound as every test that @amirm has done on power units has shown them to have no effect on the performance of downstream equipment.

Do you know if Tripplite isobar ultra are the same technology as Zerosurge?

or is it MOV? I don't understand what's the difference between Tripplite isobar ultra and their regular surge protectors.

There is not much difference in price between the Zerosurge 2 outlet and the 8 outlet one.

I may buy the 8 outlet one with the mounting shelf, so I can mount this on the wall under my desk.

jae

Major Contributor
It definitely won't affect sound, but if you have expensive equipment that you want piece of mind to protect and have the money, why not. Don't know if its still commonplace but many reputable brands used to offer like $20k-100k worth of "guarantee" for destroyed equipment that was plugged into their protectors in the case of failure, don't know if those brands do that still.

Fred H

Forum Donor
Tripplite says "“PROTECTED” or “PROTECTION PRESENT” LED (Available on Select Models Only): Indicates the surge suppression components are intact and providing complete protection against surges. If this LED does not illuminate, some of the surge suppression components are not functioning, and the unit should be replaced." in their owners manual. This suggest to me that they use an MOV.

Also, I've corresponded with the owner of ZeroSurge and found him willing to answer questions. I expect that he has examined "competing" units and would be able to tell you.

Looking at the weights, the Tripplite isobar ultra has a shipping weight of 3.70lb while the ZeroSurge 6R/8R series have weights ranging from 6lb to 7lb. As the ZeroSurge technology using coils is inherently heavier than MOVs I'm confident that Tripplite isn't using it (in this model, at least).

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Tripplite says "“PROTECTED” or “PROTECTION PRESENT” LED (Available on Select Models Only): Indicates the surge suppression components are intact and providing complete protection against surges. If this LED does not illuminate, some of the surge suppression components are not functioning, and the unit should be replaced." in their owners manual. This suggest to me that they use an MOV.

Also, I've corresponded with the owner of ZeroSurge and found him willing to answer questions. I expect that he has examined "competing" units and would be able to tell you.

Looking at the weights, the Tripplite isobar ultra has a shipping weight of 3.70lb while the ZeroSurge 6R/8R series have weights ranging from 6lb to 7lb. As the ZeroSurge technology using coils is inherently heavier than MOVs I'm confident that Tripplite isn't using it (in this model, at least).

Yeah, after some light research, is MOV in a better housing and quality components.

The 100k guarantee is always voided from the start by some fine print. I've never heard of anyone who has had their gear replaced by any of these warranties.

Its hard to justify spending $325 for ZeroSurge after using $25 surge protectors all my life, but I never had expensive gear before either. My studio monitors cost $1500 alone. Probably nothing in the world of audiophile, but that's considerable money for speakers. My gaming computer is worth thousands

The only thing I don't like is since heavy, I won't be able to mount it under my desk, I'll need that wall mount

walt99

Forum Donor
ZeroSurge is the best, will only affect sound if you’re in the group that thinks cables effect sound.
Was on the phone with the tech guy for an hour or more last week talking about protection, they are a no BS company.
Been using their stuff for at least the last 20 yrs on all my stuff, never wears out like MOV’s do.

Last edited:

Fred H

Forum Donor
My first purchase was the 8-outlet model. When I bought the second I bought the 2-outlet model and plugged a cheap surge protector into it -- same protection.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tripplite ISOBAR is like premium MOV surge protection. They have budget stuff too.

SurgeX, ZeroSurge, and many Furman’s have the series mode protection. (and Audioquest too).

None should affect the sound meaningfully

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

So whats the difference between Zerosurge and Furman rack power conditioners/regulators?

for example like this

is this MOV technology?

Most Furman rack stuff is plain conditioners, are they simply glorified MOV surge protector strips in rack form?

Fred H

Forum Donor
From their site, it "delivers a stable 120 volts of AC power" with a "Voltage Regulation capture range: 97 VAC to 137 VAC" so it's adjusting output the voltage to 120 VAC; the Zerosurge doesn't do this, it's just a surge protector. The Furman also provides "Series Multi-Stage Protection" and "Non-sacrificial protection with zero ground contamination"; this part of what the Furman does is the part that's directly comparable to the Zerosurge -- and appears to be similar technology. Whether you need the Furman probably depends on how sensitive to the supply voltage your equipment is and whether the supply voltage varies where you are.

gattaca

Furman does not and cannot use "series-mode" technology b/c they do not license it. In fact, I recall they may have been sued over infringement and had to change the name.

I've used various ZeroSurge, BrickWall, and SurgeX for years to protect computers, AV equipment without any issues. All licensed the ZeroSurge technology. I've talked with the ZeroSurge guys before about a non-standard applications and agree, they were first rate in responding. If you are dilligent, you can pick up used, great condition SurgeX models on eBay. In fact, I've helped a few AV guys over the years with this. Check out the 2nd posting below were much of that is discussed.

-> https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/furman-smp-is-not-real-series-mode-surge-technology
This is an AVS thread for a deeper dive into the questions posted here -> https://www.avsforum.com/threads/surge-protection-testing-thread.2916378/page-8#post-58796806

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Tripplite ISOBAR is like premium MOV surge protection. They have budget stuff too.

SurgeX, ZeroSurge, and many Furman’s have the series mode protection. (and Audioquest too).

None should affect the sound meaningfully
Add BrickWall to that list.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

i actually found shills from Furman posting negative reviews on Zerosurge and surgeX reviews how do you know? Its the same
Copypasted review on 2 different products and recommends Furman product based on Wirecutter

Witecutter is a site that gets paid to advertise products

I wish zero surge had a 10 outlet one cause the surgeX 10 outlet is double the price

Attachments

• 237489AF-7DAD-4C27-AC38-7E3C8AD8A712.jpeg
    237489AF-7DAD-4C27-AC38-7E3C8AD8A712.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 767B5B3E-9E01-4F7F-8C14-CAA3C3BFBD4D.jpeg
    767B5B3E-9E01-4F7F-8C14-CAA3C3BFBD4D.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 57

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i actually found shills from Furman posting negative reviews on Zerosurge and surgeX reviews how do you know? Its the same
Copypasted review on 2 different products and recommends Furman product based on Wirecutter

Witecutter is a site that gets paid to advertise products

I wish zero surge had a 10 outlet one cause the surgeX 10 outlet is double the price

Wirecutter is New York Times. They do collect commission when you buy from links and they do have advertisements but it is not a shill site.

The reason Furman does well is that it is series mode protection WITH a MOV for anything that gets passed the series mode.

But definitely see the shady reviews being posted and agree with you there.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The guy above says Furman doesn’t have or use series mode.

Wirecutter always promotes the same products for almost all consumer categories. I’m sure they get paid by certain brands, so their products are placed on the top 3 recommendations or even make the list.

Lots of unaware follow Witecutter advice as gospel which result in bigger sales for the companies promoted in the top 3.

Always better to ask on forums, reddit, etc for honest advice on the best products, even Youtube is garbage as lots of youtubers get paid or are sent free products to advertise in exchange, some admit that the product was sent for free but many do not.

Just google “best x or y” and you’ll find yons of sites giving you the best 5 or 10 products, most of them are shill sites who get paid to promote products

12Many

I have used Brickwall for years and years and never had any issues with the equipment plugged into it, while I have lost other equipment that was not plugged in. My next purchase will be ZeroSurge 8R15W-I. I believe ZeroSurge licenses the technology to other companies or builds for other companies, such as Brickwall. Like others, I have too much $$ wrapped up in this stuff for cheap MOV based protection.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy above says Furman doesn’t have or use series mode.

For the record, I have Furman, Tripp Lite, Belkin, Monster Power (Richard Gray), Panamax, APC and SurgeX products. None make a difference for sound quality with today’s well designed gear, although I did experience lower noise floor to my ears with and without a line conditioner and was able to get better overclocking on a PC with a line conditioner.

Wirecutter always promotes the same products for almost all consumer categories. I’m sure they get paid by certain brands, so their products are placed on the top 3 recommendations or even make the list.

I cannot speak to the pre NYTimes period, but they are as legit as RTINGs which is to say that it’s still a commercial for-profit entity, but it’s not like the shill sites you hear about.

Just google “best x or y” and you’ll find yons of sites giving you the best 5 or 10 products, most of them are shill sites who get paid to promote products

Wirecutter is not on that list, nor would a site like Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports will tell you what they think is the best, even though they are still going to be subjectively driven.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe ZeroSurge licenses the technology to other companies or builds for other companies, such as Brickwall. Like others, I have too much $$ wrapped up in this stuff for cheap MOV based protection.

Yes. Zero Surge was the original. My understanding is that the patents expired and that is how Furman and Audioquest went with Series Mode protection.

This is the patent that I believe is the key one

Top Bottom