• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's larges engine

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a typical cargo ship engine. The usual setup is a single engine which turns slow, around 100 RPM. It's connected directly to the prop. Obviously, no reduction gear is needed. To put it in reverse the engine is stopped and restarted going the other way, so I understand. These beasts run on bunker fuel. It's a type of diesel which must be preheated to flow into the fuel injectors. At room temperature it is too thick to flow. Judging from the scale, I believe there are even larger ones available.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Looks like a typical cargo ship engine. The usual setup is a single engine which turns slow, around 100 RPM. It's connected directly to the prop. Obviously, no reduction gear is needed. To put it in reverse the engine is stopped and restarted going the other way, so I understand. These beasts run on bunker fuel. It's a type of diesel which must be preheated to flow into the fuel injectors. At room temperature it is too thick to flow. Judging from the scale, I believe there are even larger ones available.
Sounds like that kind of diesel is no good to a trucker in International Falls around January.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like that kind of diesel is no good to a trucker in International Falls around January.
These monster engines are mostly used for cargo ships. In some places they are used to generate electricity on land. There's no way these will go in anything with wheels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These monster engines are mostly used for cargo ships. In some places they are used to generate electricity on land. There's no way these will go in anything with wheels.
Maybe a really really big tank with treads or a giant bulldozer.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant the fuel.
The entire fuel system must be preheated for the fuel to flow. When the engine is running the motor cooling fluid is pumped around. Otherwise some kind of backup system has to be used.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

when refineries catalytic crack or fractionaly distill crude oil you get stuff like Kerosene or jet engine fuel from the top

perhaps high octane gasolines from the middle

diesels from lower

bunker-c ie. ship fuel oil is stuff right at the bottom so its very cheap, very 'impure'... tar... its one step up from road tar or bitumen

when you burn bunker-c you get all the bad NoX and sulfur... you will get an idea of what this is like if you visit the harbor and you have a cruise ship there idling providing some onboard power

its a yucky smell

BUT since these engines power 500,000 ton ships their pollution countered to the sheer vol. of cargo they push means they are 'clean'...

ie. my car pushes a few hundred kg or 1,000lb of human meat and shopping and that would be considered 'dirty' as you have a 'clean' euro5 engine but its not 'pushing' much

and so with so much world trade in huge ships bunker-c is what the world runs on

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Hard to comprehend the scale of this engine:
Some are manufactured with up to 14 cylinders at 110,000 HP per hole. They have been around a while, and some are 3 storied tall.
2 cycle engine to boot. That one look to be a bit smaller and a different design.

They are fired on one type of fuel and switched to a lot higher BTU/Cintan fuel like a refined bunker that's filtered VERY well or a diesel fuel like # 2.
I think they fire on LPG, or LNG. They have an center shaft or relay shaft between the crank and rod assemblies. I've seen a lot of these in different
configurations and many publication about the tech. Think of the blower it takes to feed the intake ports to a positive atmosphere (no valves)
1 pound of boost. LOL 10ft diameter pipe and God forbid should that get obstructed.

I've worked on some BIG engines, BUT nothing like that. Waukesha. I remember an oil change was 1 and 1/2 55 gallon drums. over 75 gallons
with filters and lub refiners. Cat could get pretty big too. I saw them in sea going tugs and a few ice breakers through the years. They seldom
screw up to tell the truth. It's always a fuel problem and maybe an oil leak here or there. The colder the seas the tougher it is on the fuel supply
and a way to thin it and keep it from jelling.

I really miss fixing a broken friggin' boat in high seas. Platforms in the Gulf used some pretty big gen sets too. At least there pretty good food
on the platforms compared to transport ships. LOL My typical bug out bag for working on Russian registered cargo was 12 cans of tuna, just
in case. They eat thing we threw away on my uncles farm. Not them, they stuff something in it and cook it. I cleaned a few parts in what
they drink though. Tough bunch that's for sure.

Edit: 10,000 (close) per hole not 110,000 per hole. That would be something. LOL

Regards

Last edited:

Godataloss

They are highly disconcerting to be around. My nephew works on a decommissioned crab fishing boat that's been converted to catch and study great white sharks. It's engine is nowhere near this large and will still vibrate every molecule in your body if you are near it when it is running.

Mikig

I read somewhere that the largest of these engines is 16 meters high, so like a 5-storey building...if you consider that the largest container ship is 400 meters long, 61.5 meters wide and 32 meters high, the proportions of these giants are sensational.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Judging from the scale, I believe there are even larger ones available.
In the video he describes the 14cyl version with 25.6m³ displacement, which according to Wiki makes it the "largest reciprocating engine in the world".

Though I think the pictures and videos show mostly various smaller configs with 6-8 cylinders.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one described in the video has a 25.6m³ displacement which according to Wiki makes it the "largest reciprocating engine in the world".

Though I think the pictures and videos show mostly various smaller configs with 6-8 cylinders.
My statement was based on the pictures in the videos of complete engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wärtsilä-Sulzer_RTA96-C For reference. It's rated at 80 megawatts.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This 88l 2 stroke is insane. I mean if i think on 2 strokes. I see lawnmowers and dirtbikes. But hell not a 88l engine.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great idea. 88l= torquetastic. Put one in a motorcycle!

Top Bottom