• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SST Jet Engine for sale

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really an audio topic, but I found it interesting.

I can imagine somebody mounting this to a vehicle to re-create the apocryphal and infamous urban legend of an automobile flight in the Arizona desert that inspired the creation of the Darwin Award.

What would you do with a jet engine that can generate tens of thousands of pounds of thrust? Perhaps it could be applied to power a new type of subwoofer?

Last edited:
Reactions: GDK

egellings

Major Contributor
Not really an audio topic, but I found it interesting.

I can imagine somebody mounting this to a vehicle to re-create the apocryphal and infamous urban legend of an automobile flight in the Arizona desert that inspired the creation of the Darwin Award.

What would you do with a jet engine that can generate tens of thousands of pounds of thrust? Perhaps it could be applied to power a new type of subwoofer?
Why can't the engine be flown again?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Whe article says it's a "condition of sale". Although, I'm not sure if that's enforceable... Generally, if you sell something you have no control over what the new owner can do. when you own something, you own it. (I think you can put restrictions, "covenants", on land/real estate.)

But it may only be certified for a certain number of hours. With a quick-search I found something that says jet engines are typically overhauled 2 or 3 times.

D

Deleted member 21114

Possibly because of the adjustable area nozzle reheat (afterburner for the Septics). There was / is some restrictions on civilian use.

"The overall thermal efficiency of the engine in supersonic cruising flight (supercruise) was about 43%, which at the time was the highest figure recorded for any normal thermodynamic machine."

I wonder if it was Class D?

Top Bottom