• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions of temperament - friendly, 'thinking out loud' thread

Digby

Major Contributor
Has anyone here done a personality test, such as this: https://www.16personalities.com

Do you put any stock in such things?

I sometimes wonder whether disagreements on the forum (or elsewhere in life), are a case of personalities that are incompatible, more so than disagreements about the facts. I have posted things before that I would think it hard to misunderstand. It is not so much that someone disagrees with your position, people are always welcome to do that, but that they misunderstand your argument/position, even after multiple clarifications.

There is always the potential that someone doesn't understand English very well or that what a person has said is poorly phrased or unclear, but I can't help wondering if a good amount of disagreement comes down to differing personalities, which produce different perceptions of the world, including of language itself. Perhaps the further two people are from each other in temperament, the less likely they are not only to see eye to eye, but to even comprehend the other's position?

This doesn't take into account wilful misunderstanding, where a person knows what you mean, but pretends not to. I try to take a charitable view of people's intentions where possible, so I hope such people are in a minority.

So what do you think, agree/disagree? Have you had such experiences 'in real life'? Just trying to think out loud with this thread.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen the problem with people who speak perfectly good English. And not had the problem with some that speak it haltingly. I think we all process information differently.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
I've seen the problem with people who speak perfectly good English. And not had the problem with some that speak it haltingly. I think we all process information differently.
Do you think the 'problem' with good English speakers could be attributed to personality differences, is that what you mean by process information differently?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the underlying theory for 16 personality types is called Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, and has been in use in corporations to "profile" people for decades now. It has its limitations, but in wider terms I found it useful as 'a perspective' at times to understand myself and others. But I am an NT so I might not be fully observant of the emotional sides of saying that :)

Rarely, if ever, disagreements are caused by differences in ability to apply logic. Underlying differences are almost always differences in assumptions about truths, perspectives, interests and emotions in my experience, yet people tend to find the other side to be stupid because they think they can not follow the simple logic.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the 'problem' with good English speakers could be attributed to personality differences, is that what you mean by process information differently?
IAtaman expressed it better than me.

egellings

Major Contributor
You believe in what you want to believe in, facts be damned.

Svend P

From this survey it would seem like introverted people are more prone to logic than extroverted

mb-surv-pp.png

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
In general this, is by its very nature, an extremely highly technical Community. The majority of conflicts (IMHO) are down to the Highly Technical Person trying to correct or further educate the non technical types. It starts with the nontechnical people making a statement of fact about some aspect of the Audio reproduction chain/process. The highly competent technical person tries to correct the record and further educate the poster. Any word from this point forward is a potential land mine in causing offense and confusion. The conversation quickly spirals out of control and each side digs in. Much is lost in the process of trying to have a conversation with words only. Normal human communication relies on more visual and physical ques than just words alone. Since this format only permits the exchange of Words in writing to communicate we already start the communication process in a limited and easily misunderstood fashion.

In a recent study they discovered that effective communication requires “55% nonverbal, 38% vocal, and 7% words only”. We are trying to communicate incredibly complex technical concepts and information using only that last 7% of tools humans use to communicate. This is but one Study, many others conducted came to essentially the same conclusions and break downs.

ASR Forum is not your ordinary Social Media platform. I believe we may have the largest single collective of Highly regarded and respected Members whom represent Engineers/Scientists/Designers/Writers and Technicians in the Audio World today. We should say less and listen more. The wealth of knowledge here is incredible and possibly unmatched. Come here to learn and share that knowledge. Go elsewhere if you want to shoot the shit about Politics and religion. :cool:

Footnote: I do not count myself as part of the Highly technical group. I am very much a bottom feeder in this aquarium.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked at medical device start up that was purchased by a large pharmaceutical company that tested everybody. Then you went to a class to find out your results, which type of personality you had and types you were best compatible or would have conflicts with. Then they showed you best tactics to communicate depending on the person's type you were speaking to. At first it was kind of fun because people would share their results at lunch and laugh and ask others if they thought what you were what the test thought you were. I was happy with my results as an amiable analytical type. Later it became quite clear that upper management knew everyone's test results not publicly shared in the class and managers openly talking about conflicts on projects or meetings as natural or unnatural clashes between different personality types. It then became quite creepy because you were being judged on the test results that were not universally shared, kind of Big Brother

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My contrarian opinion is that personality tests are inevitably self-fulfilling prophecies to a degree. One gets a certain result and can't help but to unconsciously act in a way that befits the label. Not to say they are wholly arbitrary, but there is a lot of ambiguity.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
EnneagramRez.jpg
enneagram8w9.jpg
enneagram9w8.jpg

Don't ask why I have these 3 results from the enneagram test. :facepalm: Taken some 20 years ago...
I no longer remember what each means and why 3. Me, myself and I must have taken the test individually.
I hope none identify me as a serial killer, with genetic disposition for mayhem. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom