• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Screenshot_20200330-094802__01.jpg

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997 this kind of performance but without any channel imbalance issues is what I need.

Will there be a product coming that meets this?

Like HPA4's headphone output.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 this kind of performance but without any channel imbalance issues is what I need.

Will there be a product coming that meets this?

Like HPA4's headphone output.
The good channel balance of the pot PLUS the attenuation gain setting allows you experience free from channel imbalance in practice sense.
There's a preamp that has it which can be used with A90 or power amp.

YSC

Major Contributor
Looks more promising than ever! But for audiofool question: during testing did you use some demanding headphones like the audeze or Hifiman planars and compare to other more distorted competitor products? Interesting about how subjective experience actually get as I personally guess the extra detail in the highs and no roll off likely make it sounder brighter when first used?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Looks more promising than ever! But for audiofool question: during testing did you use some demanding headphones like the audeze or Hifiman planars and compare to other more distorted competitor products? Interesting about how subjective experience actually get as I personally guess the extra detail in the highs and no roll off likely make it sounder brighter when first used?
Very minimal difference can be experienced comparing to SP200. SP200 actually is the one that sounds slightly "brighter" and "energetic" during two blind tests. But I think it's due to noise. I don't expect it to actually sound that much better. But when you have something like this you feel good while you listen and you don't worry about it when paring with headphones. And most importantly it's mainly for technical superiority not so much in audible territory. But still better is better, competition is competition.

YSC

Major Contributor
Very minimal difference can be experienced comparing to SP200. SP200 actually is the one that sounds slightly "brighter" and "energetic" during two blind tests. But I think it's due to noise. I don't expect it to actually sound that much better. But when you have something like this you feel good while you listen and you don't worry about it when paring with headphones. And most importantly it's mainly for technical superiority not so much in audible territory. But still better is better, competition is competition.
Yea, can’t agree more on that, back on the days when I purchased the auralic my main thing was the op amp based units back then don’t have enough power for the Hifiman claimed power requirement and so that’s why I opt for the auralic. And may I ask two more questions:
1) is it class AB operation?
2) I saw in dx7 pro you did have rollable op amp sockets, will this be the same? Somehow I feel like if a product is so competently designed I prefer non rollable stuffs

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yea, can’t agree more on that, back on the days when I purchased the auralic my main thing was the op amp based units back then don’t have enough power for the Hifiman claimed power requirement and so that’s why I opt for the auralic. And may I ask two more questions:
1) is it class AB operation?
2) I saw in dx7 pro you did have rollable op amp sockets, will this be the same? Somehow I feel like if a product is so competently designed I prefer non rollable stuffs
1, yes
2, No. And I agree. Well optimized design doesn't give room for tweaks. It's competent as is. In dx7pro I felt the amp section isn't the core of the design but the DAC.

YSC

Major Contributor
Right, really thanks for the information.

sidetrack a bit more, do you think the ic chip outputting such high current in class ab, will it operate too hot inside and potentially lowers the life of the unit ? Or need some extensive heat sinking to be safe

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Right, really thanks for the information.

sidetrack a bit more, do you think the ic chip outputting such high current in class ab, will it operate too hot inside and potentially lowers the life of the unit ? Or need some extensive heat sinking to be safe
Maybe. We have installed large heatsink on the chip for cooling. The first surge of heat will be sinked by the PCB copper area. The mid term heat is sinked by the heatsink which lowers the thermal resistance to ambient hence reduce the rising speed of the die temperature. For the long term, the chassis is not vented so it's not for long term heavy loading.
In all THX based headphone amps, there's no other heatsinking other than using the PCB copper area. It should be enough for regular use but the chip can get hot under heavy load condition like review testings. We better be safe right?

YSC

Major Contributor
Maybe. We have installed large heatsink on the chip for cooling. The first surge of heat will be sinked by the PCB copper area. The mid term heat is sinked by the heatsink which lowers the thermal resistance to ambient hence reduce the rising speed of the die temperature. For the long term, the chassis is not vented so it's not for long term heavy loading.
In all THX based headphone amps, there's no other heatsinking other than using the PCB copper area. It should be enough for regular use but the chip can get hot under heavy load condition like review testings. We better be safe right?
Sure for the be safe part, and to be honest for most users who are willing to spend big money into headphone listening they likely will listen for long sections once a while for hours, and some will live in hot tropical areas with ambient temperature around 30 degrees C or higher, so better be safe for that. For that part maybe is where the discrete design champs as they inherently have much larger area for heat dissipation

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sure for the be safe part, and to be honest for most users who are willing to spend big money into headphone listening they likely will listen for long sections once a while for hours, and some will live in hot tropical areas with ambient temperature around 30 degrees C or higher, so better be safe for that. For that part maybe is where the discrete design champs as they inherently have much larger area for heat dissipation
Not necessarily. If one puts design consideration into it, there's no issue. Discrete operates at much much higher idle current tho the heat is distributed to each discrete component it's not an ideal solution. The total amount of heat that's generated is much higher. The chip designers know how to design a chip so if there's all the protection and still allows you to operate at such condition, it's allowed. One exception is ad8397 which we need to be much careful and need much more testing to ensure not to over current and kill the chip due to lack of protection circuit, that's a different story. And one can always parallel chips to get more current and distribute heat better.

imrul

Which kind are you talking about? A step up transformer box like the Stax SRD-7 or Woo WEE or an actual amplifier? (Anything from the Stax 252S to the Blue Hawaii)

Sometime people apply the word "energizer" to both kinds just because 'stats have completely different requirements than normal headphone.

The transformer boxes need input from a power amp. They might step of the voltage 20 or 30 times and they need some current capacity to get that done. You probably shouldn't use the output from a high power headamp either. Most wouldn't like putting out full power into an 8 ohm (or less) load which is what most of the step up transformers are likely to be.

You could use something like the A90 as a preamp for a full electrostatic amp if you had a problem with the pot on the amp.

Ahh ok. So do electrostatic headphones actually need more power to drive or is it just a matter of voltage? What does it mean when stax says their gear has 580V bias voltage or that maximum output voltage is 340Vrms ?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh ok. So do electrostatic headphones actually need more power to drive or is it just a matter of voltage? What does it mean when stax says their gear has 580V bias voltage or that maximum output voltage is 340Vrms ?

Electrostatic headphones are very high voltage and very low current.

An electrostatic driver is made up of two perforated electrodes, or stators, with a diaphragm held in between. Unlike a normal headphone there are no magnets and none of these components have a permanent magnetic or electric field.

The bias voltage is a static voltage applied to the diaphragm so that the varying voltage applied to the stators can move it back and forth to create sound. The output voltage it the difference in voltage the amplifier can apply across the stators.

The necessary bias voltage is more or less a function of the spacing between the stators and the diaphragm. All Stax headphones made for the last several decades use 580V bias. It was called "Pro" when first introduced to differentiate it from the older and retroactively named "Normal" bias which I believe is 230V. For Stax gear, normal bias headphones and amp outputs have 6 pin plugs and sockets while pro bias (everything you can buy new nowdays) is 5 pin.

Other manufacturers who have made electrostatic headphones and amps compatible with 580V Stax pro bias have also used the same 5 pin plugs and sockets.

shadymilkman

Registered to say that I am really excited to get my hands on this amp.. (literally just bought a Monolith 887 a couple weeks ago) and was going to pair it with the D90... @JohnYang1997 your involvement here and willingness to respond has resonated with me. between the aesthetics and measurements this is what I will be looking forward to. The lack of 4.4mm on the monolith was a bummer my old JH16s needed a home but I compromised, so thank you and your team for that choice.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Registered to say that I am really excited to get my hands on this amp.. (literally just bought a Monolith 887 a couple weeks ago) and was going to pair it with the D90... @JohnYang1997 your involvement here and willingness to respond has resonated with me. between the aesthetics and measurements this is what I will be looking forward to. The lack of 4.4mm on the monolith was a bummer my old JH16s needed a home but I compromised, so thank you and your team for that choice.
Welcome to ASR! :D

06S2k07Si

Subscribed... waiting for my Dx7 Pro to get here shortly and tide me over until I get the D90/A90 combo! I want to hear em both! Thanks all for the testing and information!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a DX7s but upgraded to a DX7 Pro when I found a used one at a price I could not pass up. I have Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros that I like but after hearing the Audeze LCD-X at the recent Florida Audio Expo I've been watching for a pair at the right price. I just bought a pair of LCD-3 as they were at a price I could not pass up. They arrive on Wednesday. I can't wait to see how they sound on my DX7 Pro. The D90/A90 combo is next on my upgrade list.

Martin

06S2k07Si

I had a DX7s but upgraded to a DX7 Pro when I found a used one at a price I could not pass up. I have Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros that I like but after hearing the Audeze LCD-X at the recent Florida Audio Expo I've been watching for a pair at the right price. I just bought a pair of LCD-3 as they were at a price I could not pass up. They arrive on Wednesday. I can't wait to see how they sound on my DX7 Pro. The D90/A90 combo is next on my upgrade list.

Martin
Ha! Too funny! I currently have a DX7s as well (and a D50s on the way)...and a V1 Dx3 Pro (love that one for iems). Thought I'd try to go for the DX7 Pro to see how the sindle ended headphone out sounds compared to the Dx7s and Dx3 Pro. Currently I prefer the Dx3 Pro for my iems (Fiio FA7 and FH7) a bit more than the Dx7s...I really want to try the D90/A90 combo at some point. Haven't tried my EL8c's on them yet...

Thanks

rurika

D90 MQA will be release on 21st ... so I have a wild guess that A90 should be a next in line of production and maybe will release in middle of May.
Gonna pull a trigger on this one to stack with my D90.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom