• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One question about the A90. I use a DAC with both a headphone setup and a preamp feeding amplifiers and my speakers. I would prefer not using a switch box and its associated cables or having to move cables depending upon whether I’m using headphones or speakers.

Can the A90 pass through an unaltered signal between its XLR inputs and XLR outputs? I.e., zero gain and no volume control.

Thanks,
Martin

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One question about the A90. I use a DAC with both a headphone setup and a preamp feeding amplifiers and my speakers. I would prefer not using a switch box and its associated cables or having to move cables depending upon whether I’m using headphones or speakers.

Can the A90 pass through an unaltered signal between its XLR inputs and XLR outputs? I.e., no volume control.

Thanks,
Martin
Just set volume to max when you use it as pass through.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The performance of AP is certainly limiting that particular test. With extra test equipment like low noise preamp between the amp and AP, I would expect about 106dB of SNR at 50mV.
Wow - this is the best measuring headphone amp I have ever seen, especially at 50 mV. Congrats!
I will keep my eyes peeled for this at Amazon and other locations.

saadi703

Can this amp supply ample power to Hifiman Susvara headphone with 60ohm impedance and sensitivity of 83db (80.6 / 1mw measured?).

Veri

Master Contributor
Does it add gain to the output or is it acting like a passive preamp?

Thanks,
Martin
Gain will be -9 0 +9, so middle gain maxed out will be unity gain. It's not passive but at this performance, it might as well be...
It's probably closest to zero distortion amp, yet.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Does it add gain to the output or is it acting like a passive preamp?

Thanks,
Martin
It will act as a buffer in that scenario. Don't worry it will have less noise and distortion than anything fed into it.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gain will be -9 0 +9, so middle gain maxed out will be unity gain. It's not passive but at this performance, it might as well be...
It's probably closest to zero distortion amp, yet.

It will act as a buffer in that scenario. Don't worry it will have less noise and distortion than anything fed into it.

Alrighty then... Thanks

saadi703

This amp can drive susvara to 120dB.
Wow amazing. So this can drive even the hardest to drive headphones. Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. How does this amp compare to Monoprice Monolith 887 when it comes down to driving Susvara? Can 887 also drive the susvara to 120db?

rurika

Well, I think after A90 the next one might be P90 as Mr.JohnYang said in the previous post.

Look at the marketing point of view. Dx90 will not announce until A90 released atleast 3-4 months. The fastest of Dx90 might be Q4 of this year.

All of this just my fantasy opinion so please take it with the grain of salt.

mslim

Massdrop THX 789 is now 299. Price competition is heating up.

Vantavimeow

is the A50S moving to 4.4mm balanced?

Sean_S

Will this amp drive 13ohm 92dB/mW well? How much power at .01% THD? Thanks. These are Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed specs. Using my ears only, the Drop THX789 seems to fall apart at more than moderate volume.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will this amp drive 13ohm 92dB/mW well? How much power at .01% THD? Thanks. These are Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed specs. Using my ears only, the Drop THX789 seems to fall apart at more than moderate volume.
Easily.

I have the same pair and my humble fiio q5s can run them fine in balanced with half watt, the A90 has close to 12x the power.

Pillars

Maybe. We have installed large heatsink on the chip for cooling. The first surge of heat will be sinked by the PCB copper area. The mid term heat is sinked by the heatsink which lowers the thermal resistance to ambient hence reduce the rising speed of the die temperature. For the long term, the chassis is not vented so it's not for long term heavy loading.
In all THX based headphone amps, there's no other heatsinking other than using the PCB copper area. It should be enough for regular use but the chip can get hot under heavy load condition like review testings. We better be safe right?

So long as you use TIM between the chips and heatsinks, sure. The Topping DX7s lacked this.

Pillars

I'd suspect the headphone would give out much quicker then the 789.

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom