• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Because the pneumonia epidemic is serious, the government recommends quarantine at home, the delivery of the product may be delayed, really sorry about that. But the amazon.
images.jpg

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, the only critique is the multi-tone could be a bit better as well as distortion in the bass; not likely audible factors though. EDIT: Oh and the saturation in IMD at full scale.

Great point - could we avoid full scale output by leaving the M300's volume control around 85% and relying on the amp to make up the difference? Assuming you have a clean amp of course - on my case, Neumann KH120.

Also, in the THD+N result - what is meant by 90KBW vs 20KBW?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, what it meant by 90KBW vs 20KBW ? Thank you!
One is locked to 20kHz bandwidth which usually gives better results. The other is 90kHz bandwidth which includes range for ultrasonics.
If the problems is in ultrasonics range, 20kHz can still give a flat line. So it's interesting to see both. That way, you know what is up :)

Last edited:

mks

SMSL just replied to me via Amazon (US) that the black and red colors are the mk II version. 2 day shipping for $239.

BogdanR

I’m sorry to be off topic and perhaps a bit dense but I’m having trouble understanding your brand’s motto: “Never has to end”. I do admit English is my second language and at times, especially at first when I emigrated to Canada, had a bit of trouble both getting the meaning and trying to express some things. Your motto sounds a bit confusing. Mind you, there are a few other Asian brands in the same situation, all stemming from trying to translate original language expressions into English. Again, I’m intimately aware of this as some Romanian expressions will sound a bit weird and lose their “wit” when translated directly into English.

Why not have a contest in which you request your brand fans to come up with a motto and reward the winner with a small prize of some sort? You can have some guidelines on what kind of a brand message you want to put out in your motto and you will generate genuine brand engagement both positive and negative which will be invaluable to your marketing team. Just a thought.

I do own a M100 in case you wonder and I like it quite a bit. It currently pulls daily duty in my living room along an old Raspberry Pi B+ streamer running Volumio.

Magnifico

Usually this should be related to audiophile thinking.
Terms like endgame gear and stuff is also related.
I guess they are talking about your journey to always improving audio quality.
The status of perfection will never come since there is alway for sure something to improve.
If THAT is still related to possibilities of human hearing may be on another hand.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
@SMSL-Mandy does this have the same spdif/toslink receiver chip as the M500? I couldn't use the M500 with my LG OLED because my tv's output has as lot of jitter (I think) which caused the audio to drop for short periods.

Veri

Master Contributor
@SMSL-Mandy does this have the same spdif/toslink receiver chip as the M500? I couldn't use the M500 with my LG OLED because my tv's output has as lot of jitter (I think) which caused the audio to drop for short periods.

It seems to use a more simple receiver without any fancy reclocking, which could mean there are no such problems here.
Guess you'd have to wait for the first user reviews, though.

Magnifico

I guess I´ve got a solution for my problem....I´ll have to buy a Sanskrit 10th for the time....living some weeks without XLR output is possible for me ;)
I´m still thinking of a M100 instead...but Sanskrit obviously is clearly superior....from what I´ve read so far.
What pisses me off is that Sanskrit is only red or blue....no black version....DAMN IT!!!

Magnifico

that new unit is even not in sight (from here in germany)....so the old one with 4490 chip.....but digged deeper into this M100 vs Sanskrit 10th.
from what I see here in the forum....it seems more like the M100 got the edge....
I guess those two devices SHOW the improvement of SMSL learning how to handle the AKM chips.

The Sanskrit having the superior chips can´t differ from the newer M100 looking at numbers.
Even more so it seems the M100 has even the slightly better numbers.

Remember it´s just a placeholder for the M300 which is the absolute benchmark in it´s price range for me.
Once those soncoz products are REALLY out and reviewed by people outside we´ll see....but currently there is just an idiotic hype about this stuff...and as I said....ES hump.....NOT FOR ME.

Returning to the "versus" it´s really a tie....remote and volume control for the sanskrit is surely a big plus for others....well...it don´t care.. I juste need a decent DAC feeding the SP200 as good as possible....*sigh* and iDefender needs to do the ground loop break I have with every device :(

It´s the M100 for me....@ 76,29€ it´s almost 15€ cheaper than the Sanskrit....here in germany

Last edited:

Magnifico

You are crazy guys over here huh?
Talking always so much about unreleased products all the time. This thing NOWHERE to get.
I need something NOW...I´m already waiting for my ordered - hard to get - M300 MK2.
BTW....those M200/M400 are UGLY as hell!!!
Those cheap displays would ruin any device though. Other than the form factor....they don´t match very much for my eye.
BAD JOB@SMSL!!!

It needs something like a M200/400 with a display like the M300/500 to make me buy something like this.
It just trashes the device...looks awefully cheap.
Displays like those are only acceptable with devices under 100€!

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like a 3.5mm coax and optical input.

Yeah, the coax/optical is a combo connector. The one above it that I think he's talking about is actually for attaching an antenna, I believe.
E: Yep, here's an image with the antenna:

H4_c35bff19-2dc4-4896-8662-c42a2e9affc8_1024x1024.jpg

Oh, like the old AirPort Express and several generations of Macs? That makes sense.

Why does a DAC need an antenna, though? I don't see any wifi capability on the Amazon page.

Top Bottom