• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It will be resealed this week, But for the china traditional spring festival, we will have 15 days holiday.
The items stop shipping for 15 days. And we have sent the M300 MKII to amir for review and measurement.

Better than 4497 Datasheet. Great work!

Zek

Major Contributor
Is the PSU included in the package?

Kane1972

So the V1 was data and power provided by USB together and the V2 is data ONLY via USB and power via 5v wall wart?

Veri

Master Contributor
the high jitter of this product and the Sanskrit 10 is just ugly
That's not "high jitter" ... it's below the threshold of audibility and about on par with the DX3: a best seller and very well liked DAC.

There's no problem, what's more at this price it's more than fine.

PPP

That's not "high jitter" ... it's below the threshold of audibility and about on par with the DX3: a best seller and very well liked DAC.
I never regard dx3 as well designed product. It utilizes two ak4493 but performs much worse than Dacs with only one ak4490. The jitter and linearity are terrible. And a lot of broken units!

PPP

There's no problem, what's more at this price it's more than fine.

it’s 2020 and people deserve more. We are now in an era when 200 usd can buy well designed and made balanced headphone amps or Dacs, such as soncoz with textbook picture perfect performance. Here, Fixing the jitter problem won’t make the cost any higher— the designer just need to be more careful.

Veri

Master Contributor
I never regard dx3 as well designed product. It utilizes two ak4493 but performs much worse than Dacs with only one ak4490.

What products with one ak4490? Besides RME ADI-2 I can't think of a single one that compares to its line out. Are you making things up?

PPP

What products with one ak4490? Besides RME ADI-2 I can't think of a single one that compares to its line out. Are you making things up?

No. Aid-2 is one example. Also first version of
Sanskrit 10 (with a usb adaptor) is on par (actually 0.x db better) to dx3 line out performance, cost around 70USD.
Schiit modi 3 is very close, too. All of them use one 4490 only.

anyway I will stop here rather than argue with you on the details. My point is Chinese manufacturers such as topping or smsl needs to do it better. DACs are easy to do—anyone with EE degree can do it well as a course project. tHe cheap price should not be the excuse to ignore the fundamentals.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
No. Aid-2 is one example. Also first version of
Sanskrit 10 (with a usb adaptor) is on par (actually 0.x db better) to dx3 line out performance, cost around 70USD.
Schiit modi 3 is very close, too. All of them use one 4490 only.

anyway I will stop here rather than argue with you on the details. My point is Chinese manufacturers such as topping or smsl needs to do it better. DACs are easy to do—anyone with EE degree can do it well as a course project. tHe cheap price should not be the excuse to ignore the fundamentals.
I agree with you on some things but not all. Original DX3 was fine, but not reliable. New DX3 is more reliable but the new headamp is not ideal..
But really, I do believe its line-output is fine. Sanskrit 0.x db better, means basically it's the same and not "better".

Kane1972

it’s 2020 and people deserve more. We are now in an era when 200 usd can buy well designed and made balanced headphone amps or Dacs, such as soncoz with textbook picture perfect performance. Here, Fixing the jitter problem won’t make the cost any higher— the designer just need to be more careful.

The Soncoz is over double the price of the M300 unless you have a link to somewhere I can get it for $200?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The Soncoz is over double the price of the M300 unless you have a link to somewhere I can get it for $200?
The new one without the volume control and such is that price.

Top Bottom