• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M400 DAC

evin

Does anybody know which outputs of M400 DAC are coupled by DC-blocking capacitors (Nichicon BP)? Balanced, unbalanced, both? Thank you.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Does anybody know which outputs of M400 DAC are coupled by DC-blocking capacitors (Nichicon BP)? Balanced, unbalanced, both? Thank you.
Both outputs are DC coupled via Nichicon UES bipolar capacitors.
If you haven't bought it yet, look around for a DAC with a "whole" AK4499 chip...

evin

Both outputs are DC coupled via Nichicon UES bipolar capacitors.
If you haven't bought it yet, look around for a DAC with a "whole" AK4499 chip...
I just bought it via Drop at a good price. Still clearing the customs fees. I haven’t listened the DAC yet, but I have read all the (positive) reviews about it.

The AK4499 datasheet gives no DC coupling at outputs, it is curious why SMSL engineers decided it. It is also strange why SMSL uses just a half of AK4499. If the DAC sounds good, I will upgrade it to a ‘whole’ AK4499 model (Singxser SDA-6 Pro).

I plan to measure the DC offset at outputs and if it is close to zero - to shorten the DC blocking caps. Based on my past DIY experience, I don’t like the sound signature of Nichicon BP (UES) bipolar capacitors. If there is no way to omit them, I will replace them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom