• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So many things are missing, that I have the Control Panel pinned to my Taskbar and use the jump list.

Some of these either don't have Windows 10 Settings replacements, or the ones they do have seem really dumbed-down.

View attachment 148557
I use right click over the START menu for some of those and have shortcuts on the desktop for the others. I don't use windows firewall so I don't worry about that stuff. I use Bitdefender. Install it and forget about it because it's all automatic. I find the settings with stuff on the left side and in the middle and then more stuff one the right side is not intuitive. One needs to be really focusing on the options so as not to miss them.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use right click over the START menu for some of those and have shortcuts on the desktop for the others.
Good point, that is also a good option:

1629436056735.png

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It think a device from 2012 would have a physical TPM chip (if it has one at all) that would only be TPM 1.2 compliant. You need a TPM 2.0 compliant chip for Windows 11, either a physical chip or a software TPM built into the CPU (PTT or fTPM).
All CPUs compatible with Windows 11 include a firmware based TPM. So that’s the easiest way to determine compatibility.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All CPUs compatible with Windows 11 include a firmware based TPM. So that’s the easiest way to determine compatibility.

All the Thinkpads I had back in the day had TPMs. I know the TPM was likely 1.2, but some can be upgraded to 2.0 spec. But the processors are ancient, so would fail the win11 spec anyway.

Trell

Major Contributor
I suspect that consumers won't get the option of deferring the update from Windows 10 to 11 that long. Microsoft are likely to make it increasingly difficult for non-domain joined/enterprise managed devices to stay on 10.

Possibly that will be the case but it does seem like Microsoft is going back to previous model of OS versions with previous versions still getting updates for a longer time.

With the current Windows 11 hardware requirements many existing Windows 10 installs does not fulfil those requirements and I don't think that Microsoft will just cut them off.

Trell

Major Contributor

You might need a UEFI update to enable this, especially for PCs that people builds themselves.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You might need a UEFI update to enable this, especially for PCs that people builds themselves.
I completed building a Intel i5-8600K custom desktop in 2018. I am still using the original ASUS motherboard UEFI BIOS and when I used the Microsoft PC Health Check app it indicated that my PC is compatible with Win11. At the Intel Ark website for processor models there is no mention of a onboard coprocessor for TPM for the i5-8600K so I don't think that's going to be indicative of TPM being onboard processors. Maybe they are using different terminology for TPM at the Intel Ark website.

Trell

Major Contributor
I completed building a Intel i5-8600K custom desktop in 2018. I am still using the original ASUS motherboard UEFI BIOS and when I used the Microsoft PC Health Check app it indicated that my PC is compatible with Win11. At the Intel Ark website for processor models there is no mention of a onboard coprocessor for TPM for the i5-8600K so I don't think that's going to be indicative of TPM being onboard processors. Maybe they are using different terminology for TPM at the Intel Ark website.

I think I misremembered about the BIOS/UEFI update in that motherboard manufacturers are releasing updates with this already enabled as in "flipping a switch" instead of users having to do this themselves. I thought that some motherboard manufacturers did not have that option at all.

krumpol

.. At the Intel Ark website for processor models there is no mention of a onboard coprocessor for TPM for the i5-8600K so I don't think that's going to be indicative of TPM being onboard processors. Maybe they are using different terminology for TPM at the Intel Ark website.
Yep, it is listed as TPM at the site, only for boards though and not for CPUs. Look at the Advanced Technologies tab for this NUC board with 8th gen. CPU, there's TPM 2.0 onboard microcontroller:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/130394/intel-nuc-board-nuc7i7dnbe.html

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, it is listed as TPM at the site, only for boards though and not for CPUs. Look at the Advanced Technologies tab for this NUC board with 8th gen. CPU, there's TPM 2.0 onboard microcontroller:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/130394/intel-nuc-board-nuc7i7dnbe.html
Sooper. I found a video for accessing the TPM2.0 setting in the UEFI BIOS of my ASUS Z370-E Gaming motherboard. So is the TPM 2.0 coprocessor in the CPU or on the motherboard? I thought it is in the processor because according to Microsoft’s support documents, no Intel CPU earlier than 8th Gen will support Windows 11. No first generation Ryzen or earlier CPU is listed as compatible with Windows 11. According to Microsoft, these restrictions are being enforced at the chipset level. So it must be in both the CPU and the motherboard. Microsoft is blocking either CPUs or chipsets of a given generation and checks for both.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might want to check that you don't already have TPM, most modern-ish CPUs and motherboards have it onboard, you just need to enable it in the BIOS as it is typically off by default: https://premiumbuilds.com/guides/how-to-enable-tpm-for-windows-11/
"Intels 8th gen or newer" My CPU is an Ivy, so 3rd gen. ._.
But thanks for trying.

It's kind of hilarious to me, that such an old system still performs so satisfactory. I mean I remember the times when your brand new CPU was already dated when you got home from the shop and put it on the board. :D

Too congested or not enough text explaining the functions?
No, far too much empty-dead space, necessitating 165352^4937 layered text links and not enough color, not enough icons.
So much easier to find stuff if it's color coded and icons are more convenient to me than reading text.

I'd also like more than 5 settings in a 27" window.

Also, most advanced options lead back to the good old, tiny Win95 dialog windows anyway lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But thanks for trying.

It's kind of hilarious to me, that such an old system still performs so satisfactory. I mean I remember the times when your brand new CPU was already dated when you got home from the shop and put it on the board. :D
Yes, it used to be in 4-5 years and then it was dog slow and could not handle too many windows open etc. Now a 10 year old processor has lotsa juice for domestic use. My old 2007 Q6700 quad core was excellent even up to 5 years ago until I sold it to a dood that wanted a gaming pooder for his todler.

krumpol

MS says TPM microcontrollers are either discrete, integrated in chipsets, or some TPM solutions may be running in firmware nowadays:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/tpm-recommendations
There are three implementation options for TPMs:

• Discrete TPM chip as a separate component in its own semiconductor package
  • Integrated TPM solution, using dedicated hardware integrated into one or more semiconductor packages alongside, but logically separate from, other components
  • Firmware TPM solution, running the TPM in firmware in a Trusted Execution mode of a general purpose computation unit

Trell

Major Contributor
But thanks for trying.

I've three Haswell builds built 2013 that works fine still. Two are passive using i7-4770T and no HW change has been made to them since build and work very well for what they are doing (Office work, browsing, watching movies, VPN). My own PC is a i7-4770K that has seen upgraded GPU, more memory, bigger SSDs and some Noctua fans. Still works very well.

Offler

Is anyone else running it? I've had it installed for a week with no issues (in place upgrade from Windows 10 21H2). I'm struggling a little with the new Start Menu, but it all seems to work fine from an audio perspective (ASIO drivers, eAPO, PEACE, MusicBee, Spotify, etc.).
I have currently two main issues to even try it.

1. Secureboot is a must.
(UEFI has to be enabled an working, TPM 2.0 has to be on and enabled, CSM has to be disabled)
2. Beta drivers might not work.

Those two mean that a lot of hardware from pre-UEFI era might not work at all or require firmware update. My current system is Threadripper 1900x + Radeon VII. Even when there were concerns if 1st gen Ryzen CPU do have TPM after checking in settings i found and enabled it for a while - however i am not willing to keep it enabled.

Radeon VII was shortly available in february-august 2019 and its still quite a new product, however its original firmware did not contained UEFI Bios. In recent months I explored if I can enable feature called "Resizable BAR" which allows PCI-E devices to address 64bit memory space, and not just 256mb "chunks", and I found required firmware by chance...

So very narrowly I am compatible, but to be honest not very willing to upgrade...

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it used to be in 4-5 years and then it was dog slow and could not handle too many windows open etc. Now a 10 year old processor has lotsa juice for domestic use. My old 2007 Q6700 quad core was excellent even up to 5 years ago until I sold it to a dood that wanted a gaming pooder for his todler.

Quad core Kentsfield was a beast, I paid £117 for a Q6600 in 2008 and it lasted me for 5 years. I don't think i've seen a CPU with this level of price/performance since.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly that will be the case but it does seem like Microsoft is going back to previous model of OS versions with previous versions still getting updates for a longer time.

With the current Windows 11 hardware requirements many existing Windows 10 installs does not fulfil those requirements and I don't think that Microsoft will just cut them off.

Microsoft don't care about consumers, they are treated as beta testers for Windows now, it's not in their interest to let you stay on an old version. Corporates typically refesh their desktops every 3 or 4 years, so it's less of a concern for them.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have currently two main issues to even try it.

1. Secureboot is a must.
(UEFI has to be enabled an working, TPM 2.0 has to be on and enabled, CSM has to be disabled)
2. Beta drivers might not work.

Those two mean that a lot of hardware from pre-UEFI era might not work at all or require firmware update. My current system is Threadripper 1900x + Radeon VII. Even when there were concerns if 1st gen Ryzen CPU do have TPM after checking in settings i found and enabled it for a while - however i am not willing to keep it enabled.

Radeon VII was shortly available in february-august 2019 and its still quite a new product, however its original firmware did not contained UEFI Bios. In recent months I explored if I can enable feature called "Resizable BAR" which allows PCI-E devices to address 64bit memory space, and not just 256mb "chunks", and I found required firmware by chance...

So very narrowly I am compatible, but to be honest not very willing to upgrade...

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700X, so same ZEN1 architecture as your Threadripper. I get the warning about potential incompatibilities with Windows 11, but obviously a 4 year old, 8 core CPU with 32GB RAM and NVMe storage is more than capable of running it. I seem to remember that the Radeon VII was a bit an odd ball in the AMD range, so i'd definately investgate further before taking the plunge.

Top Bottom