• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will this work with ps5

BluePikmin

I currently own dt 770 pro 80 ohms, when i use them with my ps5 controller the audio seems to be quiet and not as clear as when i use them on other devices. I'm looking to get the sonata hd pro (same as the Hidizs S8), even if it doesn't work with my ps5 I'd still use them in general cause they're meant to be a good dac/amp for the price. Either way, I know it won't work if I plug it into the ps5 port as the sonata is UAC2, but if i were to get a micro usb to 3.5mm jack adapter, plugged the 3.5mm jack into the ps5 controller output, the micro usb into the sonata and plugged my headphones into the sonata, would the signal be amplified or would i be able to control the volume from the sonata. I don't really care about using it as a dac on my ps5. Thank you so much for any help. I apologise if anything is unclear in this post.

elvisizer

are there ADC's that take a 3.5mm input and output usb audio that don't need power? not sure that exists!
all the 3.5 mm to usb cables I see are made to route the audio in the opposite direction- FROM usb TO 3.5 mm. They have DACs in them not ADCs.

OP
B

BluePikmin

oh right, I guess I wasn't thinking too well with that.
But would there still be a way to use a sonata hd pro with a ps5.
If not, no worries. Thanks for the reply as well!

Tks

Major Contributor
just buy qdelix 5k instead, it works as dac with usb ps5 connection.

Wait, you're saying there's finally another external DAC that will pull audio stream from the USB port on the PS5? I thought Schiit was the only one.

elvisizer

qdelix looks like it's bluetooth in isn't it? edit: nope, BT and USB in!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Wait, you're saying there's finally another external DAC that will pull audio stream from the USB port on the PS5? I thought Schiit was the only one.
Every DAC that supports UAC1 will work. Uac1 is a standard since 1991.

Both my Cambridge Cxa81 (integrated amp) and Cambridge cxn V2 (streamer) are able to get sound from the ps5 through usb

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could just get an analogue headphone amp

Tks

Major Contributor
Every DAC that supports UAC1 will work. Uac1 is a standard since 1991.

Both my Cambridge Cxa81 (integrated amp) and Cambridge cxn V2 (streamer) are able to get sound from the ps5 through usb

I can't find a modern DAC with UAC1 to save my life. At least a proper desktop DAC (not too big, but also not something in-line or small). Just so you know, UAC1 isn't backward compatible with UAC2. It's not as if you have UAC1 support simply because you have UAC2 support. Also UAC1 I believe is older than 1991 ('86 if I recall properly). No idea what Sony's dumb ass went for this since no modern DAC in their right mind would have UAC1 support.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I can't find a modern DAC with UAC1 to save my life. At least a proper desktop DAC (not too big, but also not something in-line or small). Just so you know, UAC1 isn't backward compatible with UAC2. It's not as if you have UAC1 support simply because you have UAC2 support. Also UAC1 I believe is older than 1991 ('86 if I recall properly). No idea what Sony's dumb ass went for this since no modern DAC in their right mind would have UAC1 support.

Both my devices support UAC 1 and 2. And I'm able to choose what profile to use.

So there are definitely DACs that support both.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option is using a UAC1 USB to S/PDIF bridge. (I use this one with my Switch)

Almost none of them will actually say if they are UAC1 or 2, but you can tell based on their maximum supported bit depth and sample rate. UAC1 supports a maximum of 24/96, so anything abouve that is definitely UAC2 and anything equal or less is probably UAC1.

Top Bottom