• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will consumer audio take over the hifi scene?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

elvisizer

However, I fear that the giant corporations like Apple, Samsung (Hardon), and Bose with their billions of dollars, rapid pace of development, size and convenience and a hifi audio performance are already getting close to making it pointless to have rooms full of big and expensive gear.
why would you 'fear' that? i mean if they've made what you call 'hi-fi' irrelevent then I'd interpret that to mean they've achieved the same level of quality. if that's the case then YES, please, let's get rid of bulky+expensive equipment!

elvisizer

Yes. with the help of government regulation (your tax money at work), innovation is being stifled by government chosen winners and losers
lolololololololololololololololol tell me who you are without saying it lololol

Pretorious

i mean if they've made what you call 'hi-fi' irrelevent then I'd interpret that to mean they've achieved the same level of quality. if that's the case then YES, please, let's get rid of bulky+expensive equipment!
Possibly re-iterating what has been said a few times.

You've just described "consumer audio" as being "hifi"

If consumer audio can deliver flat FR and inaudibel noise/distortion, then it is HIFI by definition.
I think this should sum up the thread, but I know there is ample room for more discussion, either way. Consumer gear has reached a stage where some of the most mainstream companies create exceptionally accurate sounding speakers by the definition we have given them. I would love for this to eliminate the elitism of what should be rather than accepting the state of what is.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They certainly don't sound superior and if I see another rave review on a 5.25" two way 'giant killer' bookshelf speaker, I will scream.
This is what I don't get. I see pics of systems with this type of speaker and crazy electronics and garden hose sized cables. An my thought always is: wouldn't your system sound much better if you ditched the mega-dollar cables and insanely expensive electronics and just bought bigger and better speakers and decent and appropriate electronics?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I SIMed the driver placements, without considering the visual effect. In this case I created a monster :oops:
Pretty sure that's how Jeff Bezos' team designed his...umm... projectile.

launch1.jpg

I am sure that in no way was Mr. Bezos suffering from projectile dysfunction.

D

Deleted member 48726

why would you 'fear' that? i mean if they've made what you call 'hi-fi' irrelevent then I'd interpret that to mean they've achieved the same level of quality. if that's the case then YES, please, let's get rid of bulky+expensive equipment!
While the progress is appreciable the thought of having very few conglomerates controlling everything is not a nice one and very seldom is it the best solution in the long run.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
lolololololololololololololololol tell me who you are without saying it lololol
Having lived in many countries on various continents around the world (Europe, S. Korea, Japan, Australia, Thailand, CNMI, The Truk Islands, USA & more), I see corruption as a common human condition.

Last edited:

soundwave76

Forum Donor
My two cents: The so called High End manufactures will suffer, when mass-market audio products like Apple and Bose keep getting better. For example the new Airpods Pro are amazingly good. Then there is also the professional audio gear segment like Genelec, that produces fantastic products that most often the High End products can’t match.

tmuikku

And yet physics of sound remains, acoustics. Also psychoacoustics. Bass capability is missing from small systems no matter who manufactured them and at which price simply because of sound wavelength. Then the room dominates it anyway, can't cancel flutter echo with any amount of pods/DSP, unless most of a wall was covered with such speakers to reduce it.

High sound quality is only partly from speakers, its the whole system including room and hearing that needs to fit together for the highest fidelity. Hearing system is perceiving pressure variations in a room, speaker system is merely putting the pressure variations there. This is the true source for truly good sound in my opinion, philosophically thinking its irrelevant what the speakers are as long as the sound is really good for hearing system to enjoy with maximal emotional impact. Its mainly psychoacoustics and room acoustics that makes something sound really good, environment, mood, even the gold plated thick cables, what ever makes maximal emotional impact. The small speakers could tickle most senses except tactile bass I bet, if they start to sell big enough bass systems then why not, as long as sound is perceived really good the cheaper and easier to use the better. Except I bet they won't because mass don't want multiple big hard to setup and understand stuff. Its easy to put a pod on a table, hit play and start rocking, pretty nice emotional impact for the effort.

Better serve good meal with good record in a good company to include taste and smell and social impact as well, for maximal sensory input, impact and enjoyment. Perhaps the hearing sensation was now trumped with all the other sensory cues and emotion it doesn't matter. After all, its about enjoying life isn't it :)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Having lived in many countries on various continents around the world (Europe, S. Korea, Japan, Australia, Thailand, CNMI, The Truk Islands, USA & more), I see corruption as a common human condition.
Though no doubt corruption is rife in the corridors of power, I see susceptibility to conspiracy theories as a more common human condition. :p

Corruption tends to be at a more individual level.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure that's how Jeff Bezos' team designed his...umm... projectile.

launch1.jpg

I am sure that in no way was Mr. Bezos suffering from projectile dysfunction.
It does look like it was constructing from PVC plumbing bits from Home Depot.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uhh, Seas Excel drivers! They look so cool with their copper and magnesium.
Once you compensate their rising frequency response, and of course add in baffle step, they sound very good indeed. The horn driver has a metal diaphragm (beryllium) so it seemed appropriate to use metal coned drivers in conjunction.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned the Kings English from my mother.
I learned American English in school.
In my precise writing, I said nothing that should invoke something about conspiracy theories.
You said "Corruption tends to be at a more individual level".
I agree.
I said nothing about any groups, entities, governments, NGO's, conspiracies' (actual or otherwise).
But, since you insist on throwing your obvious bias into the ring, I will state:
All of these groups are made up of individuals. Based on what you said,
and following your thought process:
they must be corrupt.
As to conspiracy theories, that is what they are. But theories are (in the scientific realm. meant to be investigated.
They may be found to be a disproven theory at some point in time. And at some other point in time, they may be proven to be true.
So, based on what I get from what you say: they should never be investigated (and never again looked at again if they were investigated)?
I believe that mankind would likely have been extinct a long time ago, if that was the process. Or maybe we would just be sacrificing to the volcano god.
We sure would not have made it this far.

Pretorious

And yet physics of sound remains, acoustics. Also psychoacoustics. Bass capability is missing from small systems no matter who manufactured them and at which price simply because of sound wavelength. Then the room dominates it anyway, can't cancel flutter echo with any amount of pods/DSP, unless most of a wall was covered with such speakers to reduce it.

High sound quality is only partly from speakers, its the whole system including room and hearing that needs to fit together for the highest fidelity. Hearing system is perceiving pressure variations in a room, speaker system is merely putting the pressure variations there. This is the true source for truly good sound in my opinion, philosophically thinking its irrelevant what the speakers are as long as the sound is really good for hearing system to enjoy with maximal emotional impact. Its mainly psychoacoustics and room acoustics that makes something sound really good, environment, mood, even the gold plated thick cables, what ever makes maximal emotional impact. The small speakers could tickle most senses except tactile bass I bet, if they start to sell big enough bass systems then why not, as long as sound is perceived really good the cheaper and easier to use the better. Except I bet they won't because mass don't want multiple big hard to setup and understand stuff. Its easy to put a pod on a table, hit play and start rocking, pretty nice emotional impact for the effort.

Better serve good meal with good record in a good company to include taste and smell and social impact as well, for maximal sensory input, impact and enjoyment. Perhaps the hearing sensation was now trumped with all the other sensory cues and emotion it doesn't matter. After all, its about enjoying life isn't it :)
I feel this is correct and interestingly put. Most people seem to want sound that is good enough. This is subjective to them, but as the Harman research shows, there is a commonality to what we all perceive as good sound. So the mainstream manufacturers have jumped onto this research and are incorporating it into their products, thus making a 'HiFi' sound available to many, many more people than before.

I know, in my own experience, room corrections and all the other minutiae is where I tap out of the hobby. I can't be bothered to that great an extent; nor do I think most people would care or even want to try to do all those little tweaks to make up the last few percent of sound quality when they're 90% of the way there anyway. As you mentioned, they (and I hope we) want to have the emotional impact of the music, then the quality of the sound comes after, within a reasonable degree.

My father likes his little portable Bose equipment because it allows him to hear his tunes where he likes when he likes it, and it sounds pretty good at what it does. He's way past the point of his tinkering HiFi days, as well. I like my Revel speakers because they sound great and I know I didn't have to fiddle with them to sound great in any room I put them. But I also love my QuietComforts because they give me peace and quiet, and they sound really quite good at this point.

As long as we're happy with what we're hearing, I don't see the point in faulting how we hear it.

Reactions: EJ3

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, some of us (that would be: me, at least) want the speakers to sound like good headphones, at a minimum. That takes some attention to minutiae.

It is true, most people don't really care a lot.

symphara

Absolutely, but it’s not equally distributed. I also lived long term (>5years) in four countries with shorter stints in a few more. There are substantial differences.

On topic though, I suspect it‘s more like the automobile industry. Today’s cars are astonishingly good, compared to what was available in the ‘80s. Pretty much all of them. I travel a lot and rent a lot, all sorts. But we still have Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes Benz…

Top Bottom