• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will consumer audio take over the hifi scene?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of those hardon/karman amplifiers! :cool:
What 70s and 80s "HiFi'" gear don't you have? I'm thinking you have the Aladdin's Cave of stereo up there in New England. You must have married a Saint :D:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What 70s and 80s "HiFi'" gear don't you have? I'm thinking you have the Aladdin's Cave of stereo up there in New England. You must have married a Saint :D:cool:
My wife is indeed a saint. I've mentioned that before, in many venues.
I don't have much of any of the really nice stuff from the '70s. Lots of second- (and third-) tier bits, though. :facepalm:

Frank2

Companies that produce for the masses try to create a sound that people like, they do not strive for accuracy unless consumers like it.

I think we will be heading towards "euphonic" digital manipulation, and I may even like it... When I turn on Dolby Atmos for headphones on my tablet with my headphone plugged in, I really like the sound more than without it. I guess it's not exactly 'accurate' but it sounds really good.

You can compare it to modern TVs and cameras which show/make pictures that are more beautiful than reality. I expect the same will happen to mass consumer audio (or maybe it's already happening?).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the plus side, these days, if you are careful, you can enjoy excellent SQ with headphones and a phone. On the minus, the phone will be obsolete soon, you're probably renting the music, and the whole thing is antisocial and even dissociative.
For me. serious listening NEVER involves headphones and is rarely done alone. It does, however, involve the phone being OFF.

D

Deleted member 48726

The modern 4 cylinder gasoline automobile engine is just about a standard commodity. A few engine manufacturing companies could make them in a half-dozen varieties and sell them to the major auto manufacturers, yet most auto manufacturers continue to make their own 4 cyl. engines. We are though seeing a shift whereby auto manufacturers buy engines from a company that specializes in engines. This is exactly what is happening with class D amps by ICE, Hypex, Purifi, and etc. High-end audio like high end cars and high end wrist watches and high-end appliances will continue and the brands will thrive on legend and hype....which we all love. My dishwasher is better than yours!
Actually is already is like this in the automotive industry.

Bosch, Siemens and PSA group are supplying everything. In Europe at least.

D

Deleted member 48726

if I see another rave review on a 5.25" two way 'giant killer' bookshelf speaker, I will scream.
1678856620137.jpeg

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Now there are many other pursuits vying for their time and keeping people sitting still, long enough to actually engage with music is a challenge. Short attention spans and high fidelity reproduction are not a natural fit IMO.
One of the most important activities for people today, gaming, involves a long attention span, with greater interaction than listening to music, and high fidelity reproduction of effects and music. Music is a key part of the experience and many of the things oldies like me (us?) might bemoan in modern music don't happen in game scores. Players listen to at least some of the music separately to playing the games as well. I know of a few groups in Sydney that are bringing game music in some form into live performance, and that seems to be a worldwide phenomenon.

So maybe what we do is just hiding in plain sight there, and may develop into the next generation of listeners, just as many have moved from headphone listening to MP3 into the audiophile space.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually is already is like this in the automotive industry.

Bosch, Siemens and PSA group are supplying everything. In Europe at least.
Yes. with the help of government regulation (your tax money at work), innovation is being stifled by government chosen winners and losers, which is partially why progress on ICE engines pollution is not happening at the rate it once was.
But, if you look at ICE engines used on the water (boats) you still have innovation.
aedb4acd-b626-4b3c-b73d-139ab75d0419.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

The HiFi industry needs a wake-up call, perhaps has not answered such calls. They (we) prefer to label the trend toward user friendliness "lifestyle" .. aderagatory term in the context. this is my situation as of today:

My AVR suits my needs. It is an older model with now more than 5 years in use. I may have to move to a newer model. I like Denon. Not because of their sound, no such thing, or features set but because of the Dynamic EQ they provide; curiously, this is somewhat unique in the world of AVR. It seems that only Denon and Marantz provide it. I am not sure Onkyo/Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, NAD, etc. have a similar feature... or one that works as well.
I am not married to D&M, any AVR that provide what I want is welcome: ATMOS, multi-subwoofer integration, Audyssey or Dirac with DLBC ( I am a bit partial to Audyssey, but the wind is strong in DIRAC sails (sales? :))... I would have appreciated XLR/balanced outputs, the ability to turn off unused amplifiers, turn off video processing, for example no video at all if listening to music whether Stereo or MCH.

But this is what await me , whichever (usual) manufacturer I choose:

AVR after AVR are, an one often gigantic box, with two large buttons in front, a multitude of never to be used speakers and zone outputs. A butt ugly contraption.
This is what you always get for the front and back:
1678882587005.png

View attachment 271891

always...

True no one looks at the rears :) ... of AVR

Even for the most jaded audiophiles these AVR have a poor user interface A smart device APP is often thrown-in... a poorly designed afterthought, that is barely functional. As for setting up these beasts? An adventure, that may require a PhD in something...
Some will retort that the box is big because of the amplifiers... last I remember 1000 wpc Class D amplifiers, were half a letter-size sheet of paper (8 x10 inches), efficient, commonplace and inexpensive .. yet AVR are mostly class B... No one would care if the Room Correction is run in the cloud, this doesn't exist in an AVR? The list of whiffs and punts is long.

If this is all these companies can come up on the AVR front, perhaps they deserve to be replaced by more customer-oriented outfits.

I am somewhat hopeful that companies such as Topping, SMSL, etc ... will find ways to produce innovative, modern, products. We need more innovative AV products. It has been stale.

Peace.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
@FrantzM -- nowadays, in the back, not much of anything but a few HDMI sockets. ;)

Denon-5.2-Channel-8K-AV-Receiver-With-Voice-Control-And-HEOS-Built-In-AVR-S660H-Rear-View.jpg

EDIT: Fixed the front aspect for you, too* ! ;)
1678884725865.png

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
On the plus side, these days, if you are careful, you can enjoy excellent SQ with headphones and a phone. On the minus, the phone will be obsolete soon, you're probably renting the music, and the whole thing is antisocial and even dissociative.
Headphones or earbuds tend to be isolating.
Ya can't send a 5.25" driver out to do a man's job.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Possibly re-iterating what has been said a few times.

You've just described "consumer audio" as being "hifi"

If consumer audio can deliver flat FR and inaudibel noise/distortion, then it is HIFI by definition.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's something anthropomorphic 'bout that loudspeaker.

Bass, you say? We need to get you one of these...

big_mout_billy_bass.jpg

Anthropomorphic? Alien robot monster is my impression.

Top Bottom