• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro vs Ifi Zen blue

qguy

Planning on getting the Wiim to use on a secondary system, the Wiim output will be via line out, no external DAC as I want to keep it simple. I know the DAC/Line out is not ideal, but would the Wiim via line out be significantly better than an IFI zen blue?

Current Setup
IFI Zen blue - Musical Fidelity E10 amp - Usher X-719 loudspeakers with SVS PB3000 sub

HewinFM

I don't think I would make the change unless you want the added functionality of a streamer vs just Bluetooth.

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
Planning on getting the Wiim to use on a secondary system, the Wiim output will be via line out, no external DAC as I want to keep it simple. I know the DAC/Line out is not ideal, but would the Wiim via line out be significantly better than an IFI zen blue?

Current Setup
IFI Zen blue - Musical Fidelity E10 amp - Usher X-719 loudspeakers with SVS PB3000 sub
WIIM uses PCM510X (likely PCM5100) and Zen Blue uses ESS9023.

Which will sound better is worth a debate.

WIIM adds lossless Ethernet / wifi audio, which is why I got it.

I would avoid the WIIM mini. My unit bricked itself after a successful firmware update (forced, gave me no choice) in the morning, playing fine all day and being turned off on the mains for the night. Next morning, blinking red light and apparently no solution.

I would avoid the Zen Blue as it's way overpriced. If you get a good deal 2nd hand for a Zen Blue, take it.

I now use my Shanling M1 as BT Audio device and even loaded FLAC 's onto a TF card to play locally.

Thor

Last edited:

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
Interesting, I thought the Wiim being wired would definetely sound better

If you use the Ethernet connection to stream FLAC, maybe. It will depend. I think the Zen has a better audio subsystem (I designed the Zen and know what is inside the WIIM) and it offers aptX and LDAC for BT which are pretty good at passing CD quality on BT.

The WIIM can offer better codecs via Ethernet but the BT section is much worse than the Zen, due to all high quality codecs being absent.

If my WIIM had not died, I might comment more on sound.

Thor

junvvin

Current Setup
I have the ifi zen one signature which is a combination of ifi zen dac signature + zen blue v2 and wiim pro connected to topping e70 / smsl d300 DAC. The bluetooth SQ on the ifi zen one signature / zen blue v2 blows away the wiim pro is every other way. The wiim pro sounds closed off and have little soundstage as compared to using PC as source via USB connection on DAC and vs the ifi zen one sig. I think this wiim pro/mini is really really overhyped! The ifi zen one sig / blue v2 on the other hand sounds identical to a wired connection. It is that good.

JLGF1

I would avoid the WIIM mini. My unit bricked itself after a successful firmware update

My two WiiM minis are perfectly fine after several F/W updates.

I think this wiim pro/mini is really really overhyped!

I'm not clear why anyone would want to use BT as opposed to WiFi for general use?

My WiiM's sound terrific, imo (optical to DAC). YMMV.

junvvin

My two WiiM minis are perfectly fine after several F/W updates.

I'm not clear why anyone would want to use BT as opposed to WiFi for general use?

My WiiM's sound terrific, imo (optical to DAC). YMMV.
Do not go by specs alone, it is the implementation that matters! One very good example is iPhones vs Android phones. Lesser RAM vs More RAM etc. Yet iOS is still far more optimized and faster. I am not an apple fan btw. Just get ifi zen blue v2 and compare it side by side with wiim mini/pro, you will see what I am talking about.

JLGF1

Just get ifi zen blue v2 and compare it side by side with wiim mini/pro, you will see what I am talking about.

Using an external DAC, both devices would just stream the same bits out. There is no scientific reason for either one to sound better (or worse) than the other. Just as the bits coming off a CD are the same going downstream to the DAC. There isn't a magical laser.

Using the internal DAC's could be a different scenario.

junvvin

I am not talking about using the same external dac, get the wiim mini or pro with any external dac and compare it with the ifi zen blue v2 alone. I am 100% sure the ifi will sound better.

But like you have said YMMV. OP was asking which one is better, I am just stating my opinion since I happen to own both.

JLGF1

get the wiim mini or pro with any external dac and compare it with the ifi zen blue v2 alone. I am 100% sure the ifi will sound better.

If the WiiM is streaming out the same bits to the DAC why would it sound any different? If using the internal DAC, that is a different story (but, you don't have to use the internal DAC).

Remember, this is ASR where proof is considered necessary over "it sounds better, just trust me".

junvvin

Clearly it is not the same, the Topping e70 and smsl d300 sounds much much better via the usb input as compared to the wiim pro with e70 and d300 with optical connection. Yes this is ASR, I hardly ever sign in or comment, but I just had to reset my passwd and sign in just so I could comment now because I feel the wiim product is such an overrated product. That is all. Also, I have good ears to differentiate what sounds good or not to me, I do not need measurements.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Clearly it is not the same, the Topping e70 and smsl d300 sounds much much better via the usb input as compared to the wiim pro with e70 and d300 with optical connection. Yes this is ASR, I hardly ever sign in or comment, but I just had to reset my passwd and sign in just so I could comment now because I feel the wiim product is such an overrated product. That is all. Also, I have good ears to differentiate what sounds good or not to me, I do not need measurements.
Not again. :facepalm: Please have a read, this might clear up some things.

Last edited:

junvvin

There is certainly no real difference, only imagined.
do you even own both items? Well I do and I am only stating my findings! It is because of you audiofools who are so much into measurements and what these so-called reviewers who get paid most of the time btw, say this and that, and you believe them wholeheartedly, if you are so inclined to believe in the technicalities only, then explain why apple products are vastly superior to android counterparts at lower hardware/with more limitations? You ppl jst never learn jees!

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
.... if you are so inclined to believe in the technicalities only, then explain why apple products are vastly superior to android counterparts at lower hardware/with more limitations?
They're not, it is just your personal preference. I wouldn't swap my Android for an Apple device.
If you're only using Bluetooth as a source to both devices, then the superior codecs may explain why you prefer the ifi.
BTW would you care to share your methodology when comparing the two?
I'm assuming the test was at least blind and level matched (with a voltage meter)?
I jest of course!!

Zensō

Major Contributor
do you even own both items? Well I do and I am only stating my findings! It is because of you audiofools who are so much into measurements and what these so-called reviewers who get paid most of the time btw, say this and that, and you believe them wholeheartedly, if you are so inclined to believe in the technicalities only, then explain why apple products are vastly superior to android counterparts at lower hardware/with more limitations? You ppl jst never learn jees!
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
whatever u way audiophool, spend $$$ for shit
So your comparison was neither blind nor level matched? What a surprise.
Your posts have quickly progressed from arrogant to insulting, not a good way to get your point across.

junvvin

I did a side by side comparison like any normal person would, I do not have gears or the time to do level matching. I am doing it using my EARS like any normal person would. I OWN BOTH ITEMS and based on which I am commenting. I don't think you own both so your opinions are not relevant. I am only commenting for the OP. I do not know if he has already made his purchase. I do not care about what you ppl think. I only commented here just so I could share my opinion on the matter as the OP already has ifi zen blue.
I do not use an apple device btw, I use an android phone myself, but I know for a fact that IOS is superior to android OS when it comes to simplicity and performance.

Top Bottom