• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a SMSL DO300, it gots SPDIF, Toslink, USB B, AES/EBU and I2S(HDMI) inputs, but since the SPDIF and the USB are using by the CD player and iPad, whereas WIIM Pro only has digital out of SPDIF and Toslink, therefore the most convenient approach would be SPDIF to AES/EBU.
So you have SPDIF, Toslink and USB inputs. You're using SPDIF and USB.

So what is wrong with Toslink from the Wiim?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a SMSL DO300, it gots SPDIF, Toslink, USB B, AES/EBU and I2S(HDMI) inputs, but since the SPDIF and the USB are using by the CD player and iPad, whereas WIIM Pro only has digital out of SPDIF and Toslink, therefore the most convenient approach would be SPDIF to AES/EBU.
I see It's just the way you asked the question it seemed the DAC only had AES3 input but it's the only available.

Edit: except for toslink as he said ^^

Wild 7

So you have SPDIF, Toslink and USB inputs. You're using SPDIF and USB.

So what is wrong with Toslink from the Wiim?
Heard that Toslink is bit of plain and dull, where SPDIF is a bit more fun to play with, is it ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard that Toslink is bit of plain and dull, where SPDIF is a bit more fun to play with, is it ?
No, they are identical data streams - just with a different physical interface.

There will be absolutely zero difference between them in audio performance. Unless you have a ground loop - in which case the optical toslink can eliminate ground loop noise by virtue of its galvanic isolation.

Confused

Is it possible to use wireless speakers over Airplay 2 and use the RCA outputs to a receiver simultaneously with the Wiim Pro Plus?

Wild 7

Thanks for the reply, I will give Toslink a try and see which one sounds better.

That’s bring to another question, can both Coaxial and Toslink be connected to the DAC and working in the same time ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply, I will give Toslink a try and see which one sounds better
None "sounds" better. They both "sound" absolutely the same. These are digital outputs, so unless coax is catching a ground loop (which is very unlikely), these two just cannot perform any different whatsoever.
That’s bring to another question, can both Coaxial and Toslink be connected to the DAC and working in the same time ?
Yes.

Wild 7

You can send audio to the DO300 simultaneously via Coax and Toslink.

You can only ever listen to one of the DO300's inputs.

Understand. It will be much easier for comparing just by switching the input on the DAC.

Wild 7

None "sounds" better. They both "sound" absolutely the same. These are digital outputs, so unless coax is catching a ground loop (which is very unlikely), these two just cannot perform any different whatsoever.

Yes.

Theoretically agree.

But that is where the fun of our hobby is.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will give Toslink a try and see which one sounds better
If you hear a difference it won't be in the sound-waves reaching your ears, it will be in the wetware between them.

can both Coaxial and Toslink be connected to the DAC and working in the same time ?
They can both be working at the same time - but the DAC can only select one input at a time. You can't mix them (if that is what you meant)

davidc

Forum Donor
In fact, we have here a network player which only lacks an HDMI output capable of transmitting sound in multichannel, because multichannel music is a big plus in quality...

IMO, multichannel music is not a big increase in quality. It's just multichannel. Personally, I like to listen to a band from the first row of the audience, not like I was onstage inside the band.

Haskil

Forum Donor
IMO, multichannel music is not a big increase in quality. It's just multichannel. Personally, I like to listen to a band from the first row of the audience, not like I was onstage inside the band.
Things are a little more complex than how you present them. For example, multichannel absolutely does not imply that you are among musicians as you describe.
And even all the channels can be front-facing : the recordings made on front channels are quite remarkable : the precision of the soundstage is greater than with only two channels.

The recording can add to these three channels two rear channels broadcasting the ambient sound which returns from the room itself after bouncing off the walls. Classical music lovers who go to concerts experience this with great pleasure... even when they are in the first rows which are never the best in a room when you listen to an orchestra... The best seats are rather front in the second half of the room: where the direct sound and the reflected sound are balanced. Numerous recordings of orchestra and even solo instruments published on SACD, audio or video BD demonstrate this. Even a solo cello or a solo piano gain in realism because the precision of the frontal scene seems even more precise.

Scytales

Forum Donor
Absolutely ! Should I add that front-end multichannel reproduction produce less warping of the virtual sources in the sound-stage compared to 2 channels only stereophonic reproduction. Tomlinson Holman have reported this observation in an article entitled "Channel Crossing" (Studio Sound, February 1996 issue) where he briefly wrote about the conclusions of experiments sponsored by the ITU (formerly CCIR) in order to establish its future 5.1 multichannel standard. 4 front-end channels were better than 3 which were better than 2, not taking into account the set-up of surround channels, which were assessed separately, not in conjunction with the front channels.

To place the auditory in the middle of a musical event, be it performed in real life or reproduced through transducers set up arround the listening area, is a possibility to convey an expressive, artistic intention (Xenakis's work Perséphassa, for instance). It's not a mandatory use of multichannel stereo. In fact, there are multichannel recordings where the channels are all front-end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom