• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Doublej

Yes, if your power amp has a trigger jack. I don't think the cable comes in the box, though. More info in the WiiM manual.

If your DAC has volume control, by having to turn on the DAC separately you now would have a safety check. Turn on the DAC first and confirm that volume is at a reasonable level before starting playback on the WiiM.
The WiiM Pro/Plus has a 2.5mm trigger output jack, not the typical 3.5mm jack. There is a quirk (IMHO) where the turn on single from the WiiM is sent ONLY when music starts playing on the WiiM and not when the WiiM is simply turned on.

Geertidow

Just sold my bluesound node 2 (rca out) and changed for the pro plus.
Non-blinded ABX bla bla bla, but I seem to hear better sound (due to the terrible DAC in the Bluesound).
The LMS functionality is wonderful. Still hoping to control it one day from the Wiim Home app (then I only need Tidal and Wiim on my phone).
The value proposition from this device is insane.

Last edited:

DACslut

Can someone with technical expertise please explain this guy's problem? It's an amazon review, FYI.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product Is terrible and here is why…
Reviewed in the United States on December 13, 2023
Style: WiiM Pro PlusVerified Purchase
I went through two of these and sent both back for a full refund because it’s internal clock messed up my $2000.00 NAD Pre-amp.

I was able to repair my own $2000 Pre-amp so I’m not that bitter. I would not recommend this little piece of junk box to anybody, either like myself as an audiophile needing a temporary replacement steamer, to anyone that wants a product that’s reliable and does what it says it’s supposed to do. hogwash!!!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone with technical expertise please explain this guy's problem? It's an amazon review, FYI.
I went through two of these and sent both back for a full refund because it’s internal clock messed up my $2000.00 NAD Pre-amp.

I was able to repair my own $2000 Pre-amp so I’m not that bitter. I would not recommend this little piece of junk box to anybody, either like myself as an audiophile needing a temporary replacement steamer, to anyone that wants a product that’s reliable and does what it says it’s supposed to do. hogwash!!!
I tried using it as a steamer and had similar results. My clams were *raw*, I tell you.

In all seriousness, I've run into an issue with my unit. II have it running (optical from computer monitor->Wiim) to a soundbar on my desktop. Sometimes it just starts distorting horribly (typically when I have a zoom call), I vary input volumes and get no change. So I reboot the Wiim and it's fine again.

tw99

I tried using it as a steamer and had similar results. My clams were *raw*, I tell you.

In all seriousness, I've run into an issue with my unit. II have it running (optical from computer monitor->Wiim) to a soundbar on my desktop. Sometimes it just starts distorting horribly (typically when I have a zoom call), I vary input volumes and get no change. So I reboot the Wiim and it's fine again.
There's another thread somewhere on here where this behaviour is discussed. I think the Wiim Pro doesn't reclock the optical input in any way, so eventually the clock drift between the Wiim and the source causes a Fifo to fill up or underrun, and you get what you hear.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's another thread somewhere on here where this behaviour is discussed. I think the Wiim Pro doesn't reclock the optical input in any way, so eventually the clock drift between the Wiim and the source causes a Fifo to fill up or underrun, and you get what you hear.

This. The clocking scheme on the Pro between TOSLINK input and both digital and analog outputs seems a bit suspect. There is no sync between the TOSLINK input and the outputs.

I wish this was something Amir would have explored a bit more on the Pro Plus as it seems potentially problematic, especially with people using these devices as digital I/O PEQs.

Michael

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's an amazon review from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

No way any clock issues can cause damage to a preamp.

dclark2112

Newbie here... will I notice an audio quality difference with the AKM DAC built into the Wiim Pro Plus and internal DAC in my Denon AVR 2311ci? It'll be hooked up to a pair of KEF 350Bs. If not, I'll just use the optical output of the Wiim Mini and have the Denon do the DAC work, saving me about $140.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Newbie here... will I notice an audio quality difference with the AKM DAC built into the Wiim Pro Plus and internal DAC in my Denon AVR 2311ci? It'll be hooked up to a pair of KEF 350Bs. If not, I'll just use the optical output of the Wiim Mini and have the Denon do the DAC work, saving me about $140.
I'd be very surprised if you were able to hear any difference at all. Even if you did, it would be so slight as to not be worth considering.

mash

Question: If I want to use WiiM Pro or Pro/Plus for whole house audio, can I do that with Spotify and Tidal sources? From the screen shots, it looks like it supports Spotify/Tidal connect implementations...which are typically single device destination setups. Would I then be able to take that feed and broadcast/sync it to other zones (Wiim devices)?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Question: If I want to use WiiM Pro or Pro/Plus for whole house audio, can I do that with Spotify and Tidal sources? From the screen shots, it looks like it supports Spotify/Tidal connect implementations...which are typically single device destination setups. Would I then be able to take that feed and broadcast/sync it to other zones (Wiim devices)?
Yes.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can also stream to multiple airplay devices.

Geertidow

It's an amazon review from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

No way any clock issues can cause damage to a preamp.
You can say that there is not enough info to judge. What exactly broke in his device that he was (twice?) able to repair himself?

Unlikely yes, impossible?
We need more date.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can say that there is not enough info to judge. What exactly broke in his device that he was (twice?) able to repair himself?

Unlikely yes, impossible?
We need more date.
OK, let me qualify.

What can faulty clock behaviour do to a preamp? The only thing I can think of is to generate very high level noise out of the DAC. Even perhaps (though fairly unlikely) full scale square waves. I can see that causing problems for a speaker if it were to get that far, but...

If you've got a preamp that fails from that, I'd suggest it is more the fault of the preamp design than of the streamer clock problems.

Geertidow

OK, let me qualify.

What can faulty clock behaviour do to a preamp? The only thing I can think of is to generate very high level noise out of the DAC. Even perhaps (though fairly unlikely) full scale square waves. I can see that causing problems for a speaker if it were to get that far, but...

If you've got a preamp that fails from that, I'd suggest it is more the fault of the preamp design than of the streamer clock problems.
Fair enough.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
This. The clocking scheme on the Pro between TOSLINK input and both digital and analog outputs seems a bit suspect. There is no sync between the TOSLINK input and the outputs.

I wish this was something Amir would have explored a bit more on the Pro Plus as it seems potentially problematic, especially with people using these devices as digital I/O PEQs.

Michael
New FW was just released with some "anti-drift" and "resampling" improvements announced over digital input.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Interesting. Do you know the firmware number? I looked at the release notes -> https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000587188-wiim-pro-release-notes and the latest firmware 4.8.537952 doesn't say anything about anti-drift or resampling. I assume the firmware you are referring to is different than 4.8.537952?

Michael
4.8.539259 for the Pro Plus. Looks like not yet available for the Pro.

1703081336387.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom