• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wife finds theatre too loud. Bumming me out! How can I make it 5db quieter for only her?

Snoochers

I have a home theatre and wife and I constantly fight on sound level. I spent a lot of time and money in there and I really want to feel it. I should add that I actually don’t want to listen to it super loud or anything. I’m probably below average even!

5db is making all the difference. It’s perfect for her but too quiet for me, and 5db more is perfect for me but too loud for her.

How can we reduce it by 5db just for her? I was thinking high end ear plugs but they tend to reduce sound by like 15db.

Any ideas?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I guess you would need to modify one by drilling a hole to increase the port diameter...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You can try cotton balls. We use them at movie theaters that play sound too loud for us. You can trim the size of the cotton ball to suit. Best cheap suggestion that you can experiment with.

OP
S

Snoochers

Buy her headphones?;)
Yes maybe, though it’s a bit silly to have headphones in a 9.2.6 theatre and I also suspect the competing sounds would lead to
You can try cotton balls. We use them at movie theaters that play sound too loud for us. You can trim the size of the cotton ball to suit. Best cheap suggestion that you can experiment with.
yes that sounds reasonable though I suspect the frequency response impact isn’t well researched lol

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
May be you can try an ear warmer like this one: :cool:
1634676332542.png

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Some dynamic compression or simply a limiter could achieve that. The question is where this could be inserted into the system. If your source is a PC it should be easy. e: Also, looking at the rest of this thread us germans are efficient and have no sense of humor.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Try balance control and timing. Try to change the level on what's become "her side" of the theatre and then compensate with a delay to make the soundstage shift back.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have her more off axis to the speakers than you. That should cut the db's.

outlookrt

Maybe a compromise can be achieved by selective EQing a certain FR region? We know that a ‘room curve’ is ultimately a subjective area of preference. Maybe she’s more sensitive to the presence region of the frequency range? A few db dip there may help while keeping the bass and highs in tact, which might be what you enjoy about the higher vol? I’m speculating massively or course… but just some food for thought. I know my missus seems a touch more sensitive to ‘forward’ speakers, with previous speakers I’ve owned, if she often asked me to turn music down that it thought was playing at a ‘normal level’ I’d measure the response and sure enough a broad pushed up response centred around 1k
-2k was there… so who knows… maybe she’s on to something and reacting to something ‘off’ in your setup? Believe it or not wives can be right sometimes…

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
More stylish plugs and are meant to only slightly reduce the sound. I've not tried them, but they look a little different.

Top Bottom