• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If we want a good answer, we'd first have to define what exactly "sustainable" is. I could very well argue that we all should just stop with this audio non-sense because of sustainability.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

If we want a good answer, we'd first have to define what exactly "sustainable" is. I could very well argue that we all should just stop with this audio non-sense because of sustainability.
Absolutely. Want to have a crack?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If we are just after good answers it’s not a debate. If we can engender thought well...

You know problem with me is, i would say use your smartphone as source, get a BT receiver with ldac, a descent class d amp, and some good speakers. The fish is eaten.
Is this sustainable?

OP
Eidie

Eidie

You know problem with me is, i would say use your smartphone as source, get a BT receiver with ldac, a descent class d amp, and some good speakers. The fish is eaten.
Is this sustainable?
Yes. Until the phone is no longer supported for security updates in 3 years. And then your bank account is empty and you have to sell your amp and speakers to buy a new phone. But otherwise yes.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yes. Until the phone is no longer supported for security updates in 3 years. And then your bank account is empty and you have to sell your amp and speakers to buy a new phone. But otherwise yes.

You see problem starts somewhere else. I not have to update my speakers, not my amp the things that are hobby related. But maybe my phone and who knows if androide xx still supports ldac? For a amp and speakers 10-15 years are no problem. So we should look at the source of the problen.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

You see problem starts somewhere else. I not have to update my speakers, not my amp the things that are hobby related. But maybe my phone and who knows if androide xx still supports ldac? For a amp and speakers 10-15 years are no problem. So we should look at the source of the problen.
Or the source as the problem?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Or the source as the problem?

If you look at the resources needet to play a single LP, compared to a stream from a smartphone, than the source got better. But if we could get smartphones more sustainable, this would be cool.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The 1950s-era stuff here, which 1) still works and 2) for which most if not all mission-critical parts are still available (at least for now) represent, to me, the ultimate in sustainability, at least in terms of electronics. It doesn't hurt that the unbalanced "line level" and RIAA (LP record) standards haven't really changed for a long, long time :)

As an aside_ I do know some otherwise normal people who, by choice, use audio components that are even older than '50s-era consumer componentry (FWIW).

1627909525350.jpeg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The 1950s-era stuff here, which 1) still works and 2) for which most if not all mission-critical parts are still available (at least for now) represent, to me, the ultimate in sustainability, at least in terms of electronics. It doesn't hurt that the unbalanced "line level" and RIAA (LP record) standards haven't really changed for a long, long time :)

As an aside_ I do know some otherwise normal people who, by choice, use audio components that are even older than '50s-era consumer componentry (FWIW).

View attachment 145057

This thing looks like a electrocution machine to me. ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Jimbob54.
I came here because I had a once in a lifetime opportunity. To build a high fidelity system that would be my endgame (really once in a lifetime). I used what I learnt and I have. It is not perfect (sad) but I am happy.
To all, yourself included, who’s posts have fed into that I am grateful.
Please could you clarify your second paragraph? You deserve an answer And I will attempt to do so.

That second paragraph you quoted, I was just wondering what value tens, hundreds or thousands of responses as to why an individual chose to be here is of to anyone.

But as the overall thrust of the post seems to have been a leap into philosophical territory around the nature of consumerism more than an enquiry into motivations for being on an audio review forum, then it doesn't really matter.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
If the $3000 watch is more efficiently produced, with easily recyclable materials, does it not, societally, reoresent better value?
Perhaps it does. But it is still 10 times more expensive than the $300 watch. YOu could use the remaining $2700 elsewhere. Opportunity cost.

spartaman64

Now regarding the philosophical aspect of things would be something like "why do you buy a $3,000 watch when a $300 one will give you the same result, which is show the time accurately"?
It could be any number of reasons:
  • Greed?
  • Peer acceptance?
  • Self-vindication?
  • Need for status?
  • To impress a certain someone?
as someone with a more expensive watch I got it for the craftsmanship. after all nobody will look at a watch with seiko on it and assume that it costs much more than 300 lol

gsp1971

Forum Donor
A fair question. Deserves an honest answer.

I have a degenerative neurological disorder. Amongst other things it effects my balance, vision and fine coordination. Some days I can see fine but I can’t make my fingers work a keyboard. Some, my fingers work but not my vision. Some days both of those work but the world is spinning, tossing and turning around me. Often I can’t walk properly. About the the only thing that does work, consistently, is hearing. Hence the decent hi-fi.
As an adjunct to the above I also have an exciting collection of anxiety disorders. I had read the initial responses to my the op and realized that I had been clumsy. Committed a faux pas. So I ran scared.
This evening I am functioning well. Hence the responses.
Everyone deserves a reply. Unfortunately sometimes that will be delayed.
This has taken a toll. One I will just have to pay.

Respect.
No wonder your sense of priorities is different than ours and, dare I say, wiser.
In the comfort of our health and wealth, we fail to value what is important. Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to wake up and reconsider.
That slap in the face is usually health-related.
We should all take a step back sometimes and think things through. We don't need a lot of the things we buy.
Perhaps a lesson for all of us is to learn to be satisfied with less. Buddha once said: "The less you have, the less you have to worry about".
May be it's true.

Glad you fulfilled a dream with your hi-fi purchase. Enjoy it. That's a wish from the bottom of my heart.

Top Bottom