• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why?

Robin L

Master Contributor

MRC01

Major Contributor
What are you after people? ...
Hearing more of what is in each recording, reducing distortion, noise and other colorations, making listening more realistic and immersive.
Greater musical enjoyment.
The satisfaction of getting the best possible fidelity to the source recording, shining a light on psychoacoustics & engineering to expose common audiophile myths that mislead people, learning what matters and what doesn't, supporting the people and companies (whether researchers or manufacturers) who make all this possible.
Is it the unattainable? ...
Nope
Do you just want more stuff? ...
Nope
Can you be happy with what you’ve achieved/got? ...
Yep

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you after people?
I want to be young again. This forum has not been of much help with any hints in this regard. I feel that to the contrary, I have aged more rapidly while reading daily endless debates magnifying tiny details.
Is it the unattainable?
Yes.
Do you just want more stuff?
No. Well, maybe so, if I cannot be young again.
Can you be happy with what you’ve achieved/got?
Not for long enough.
Just why?
Boredom. Loneliness. Existential panic.

P.S. If you attempt to read every post of every thread on ASR, the disjointed and fragmented voices will echo in your brain until it seems that a great multitude is clamoring for attention, but when you listen they are saying not much of import that you wish to hear. And the sameness of their clamor will ultimately drive you to ask them "Why, just why?".

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Well, why not try to answer the question yourself? Let's take your own quote:

So why then? If you're happy, what makes you need another justification?

That was from a different thread, with a different point. Before it was pointed out that my speakers may be a little bright they sounded balanced to me. Since, not so much. Still happy though! Just playing with EQ more.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Oh my, I have the feeling this thread is going to go to all sorts of directions ...

You have been so correct GSP 1971. A warning sign “Socially inept” to attach to a post would be useful.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

To learn about the technical side of audio reproduction, how to get the most bang for my buck on future purchases and existing ones.

Why are you here? Why are you posting this? Why do my reasons for being here and my objectives concern you?

If you really want to wind people up, do a poll.

All of that is fair enough. Your signature line is why.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In part, at least, this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90se-review-balanced-dac.24235/

The D90 already had essentially audibly perfect performance. The SE is upgrade fodder. I find this bothersome.

Not really, the d90 DAC chip manufacturer (AKM) had a massive fire so new chip needed. This is a side move to ESS with some touted improvements presumably just to keep the market interested. Im sure some will upgrade, but I dont think thats the main reason for the SE existing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All of that is fair enough. Your signature line is why.

Because I got the bug, obviously. You still need to answer why the hell you care.

For what its worth, the bug to buy electronics has subsided, the bug to buy headphones has not.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I think many in here would be perfectly happy with this equipment but still would hang around in here. Couse you can learn a lot and have fun with other people.
Because I got the bug, obviously. You still need to answer why the hell you care.

For what its worth, the bug to buy electronics has subsided, the bug to buy headphones has not.

Fair enough. I’ll lay it out.
We, collectively, cannot sustain the level of consumption that we, the privileged, engage in. I don’t have children, never will, but others do. And yes, I am a hypocrite, I consume. I try to assuage that with conscious consumption but, being brutal, I don’t suppose future generations will really thank me for that. I’m not interested in judging you or any one else. I was just, clumsily, trying to engender thought. Apologies. It won’t happen again.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Uhpps sry maybe it was my fault with my bad english?
What philosophical debate?
Is there something to depate? Most people in here enjoy music and have some affinity to technologie. And in this days that fits well from tubes to IT technologie. Whats a very broad spectrum.

Is more better?
Is an upgrade that produces no audible improvement an uograde?

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Several people have asked you direct questions, most of which you haven't even attempted to directly answer. If you expect others to give decent answers, then please start with answering yourself as well.

Well, yes, in general people here are much more conscious about what they want and why they want something. And another part of the crowd is here just for fun and learning. You can even have a great time without having to buy anything, but by just looking at the stuff that you don't need to buy at all ;)

As far as Audio forums go, this one is by far the cheapest to attend.. reason enough to be a donor :cool:

But I'm guessing the motives of @Eidie go a bit deeper and also point towards mass consumption of goods vs our environment, etc... But I guess he can best elaborate himself.

No I can’t, your last line encapsulates exactly what I was trying, evidently clumsily, to drive at. Thank you.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Not really, the d90 DAC chip manufacturer (AKM) had a massive fire so new chip needed. This is a side move to ESS with some touted improvements presumably just to keep the market interested. Im sure some will upgrade, but I dont think thats the main reason for the SE existing.

I was aware of the AKM fire. Not of the reason for the genesis of the D90SE. I stand corrected.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Yes, we need to consume and fill up landfills with oodles of un-recyclable, toxic, waste. The more the better.

You feeling better via self-righteousness now?
Not really. Saddened. Actually. Now. Is more thought, consideration, damnable?

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Personally, I want to move away from my 5.1 system and put together a 2ch system. Researching reviews on the internet led me to ASR. And I got hooked. I am am trying to make a shortlist of well-engineered components (amps & speaker) without paying over the odds, which I will then audition.
Once there, that will be my end game.

I’m glad you have an end gsp1971. Perspective.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Now regarding the philosophical aspect of things would be something like "why do you buy a $3,000 watch when a $300 one will give you the same result, which is show the time accurately"?
It could be any number of reasons:
  • Greed?
  • Peer acceptance?
  • Self-vindication?
  • Need for status?
  • To impress a certain someone?

If the $3000 watch is more efficiently produced, with easily recyclable materials, does it not, societally, reoresent better value?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The D90 already had essentially audibly perfect performance. The SE is upgrade fodder. I find this bothersome.

So is the $9 Apple dongle, yet you bought the RME ADI.. What a waste :eek:. And Don't tell me because of the EQ.. You can do that in software just fine. From a sustainability point of view, surely that is the best option.

Top Bottom