• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why not review some Hegel amps?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18434
  • Start date

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
you are probably in it for very silly reasons

I am in it for silly reasons.

Perhaps not those particular silly reasons, but definitely for silly reasons.

After all, I have reel to reel tape decks as part of my equipment.

That's just silly in 2020.

(My desktop DAW is my non-silly, serious, workhorse rig. But it's not as amusing.)

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I expressed my displeasure on the deceptive marketing practices of Hegel it was to basically respond to the thread title. Personally, I have no interest or desire to see Hegel stuff measured when there’s other, more interesting companies Amir can spend his time on.

Besides, there already exists very detailed measurements. The amps aren’t anything special and would actually place on the low end of the list when stacked up against other amps Amir has already reviewed. And lest we forget, the absurd price tag of this thing. They’re going for $14,000 CAD last I checked, before the “standard” 1/3 dealer discount. To say nothing of the build quality of the units. I’m sure the Hegel amps are well made, made in China or not. Just don’t charge me an arm and a leg and pretend it’s manufactured in Norway when it’s not.

Here is the measurement from soundstage. Note how miserable the dac section measures: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

BikeSmith60

I'd be comfortable paying a low to modest amount of money for a DIY / Purifi amp. It's cheap and light.

I'd also be comfortable paying lot more for a Luxman, Accuphase, Levinson, or Nagra. They're hefty and built like tanks.

The Hegel, though, gives you the build quality close to the Purifi, and the price of the Levinson.

That's something I have a hard time reconciling.

And...no tone controls, EQ or DSP possibilities. WORSE YET, no balance control. So the Hegel will throw a perfectly centered image on only "perfectly centered recordings" and in all our various home/domestic listening environments? Not for me, thanks anyway.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
When I expressed my displeasure on the deceptive marketing practices of Hegel it was to basically respond to the thread title. Personally, I have no interest or desire to see Hegel stuff measured when there’s other, more interesting companies Amir can spend his time on.

Besides, there already exists very detailed measurements. The amps aren’t anything special and would actually place on the low end of the list when stacked up against other amps Amir has already reviewed. And lest we forget, the absurd price tag of this thing. They’re going for $14,000 CAD last I checked, before the “standard” 1/3 dealer discount. To say nothing of the build quality of the units. I’m sure the Hegel amps are well made, made in China or not. Just don’t charge me an arm and a leg and pretend it’s manufactured in Norway when it’s not.

Here is the measurement from soundstage. Note how miserable the dac section measures: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Plus, you could just get an Opera Consonance for less money.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Based on the measurements I've seen that John Atkinson took of my DAC I'm not the least bit worried that it would rank in the top, my fear isn't that it might be out done however, as it would be any damage or loss during shipping, never mind the time without it, and the hassle of removing it from my system and being with out it for a week or more.

What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-200-amplifier-dac-and-streamer-review.12286/

Not sure if you'd stumbled across that thread yet, but that was fun.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
And...no tone controls, EQ or DSP possibilities. WORSE YET, no balance control. So the Hegel will throw a perfectly centered image on only "perfectly centered recordings" and in all our various home/domestic listening environments? Not for me, thanks anyway.

You better stay away from most tube amps, too, then.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Plus, you could just get an Opera Consonance for less money.

I'm seriously not chllenging here, but can we guarantee a Consonance (A100?) is similar or the same insifde?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm seriously not chllenging here, but can we guarantee a Consonance (A100?) is similar or the same insifde?

Well this is the A120:

hybrid.jpg

Oh, look....a random vacuum tube.

TimF

Forum Donor
You gotta love this image from their website. A picture of an amp, on the floor, not connected to any speakers, next to a Bauhaus book. Can't get much more Scandinavian than that.
View attachment 76080
Regarding the ad showing the Hegel amp on the floor with the books and painting also on the floor, is that a big neti pot to irrigate the nose also on the floor?

MDAguy

Forum Donor

MDAguy

Forum Donor

MDAguy

Forum Donor
oh? is that the overpriced German stuff? lol...

oh, never mind, mixed it up with another over priced brand... this stuff is made in the USA!

DSJR

Major Contributor

Helicopter

Major Contributor
No, we are just assuming (reasonably) because the cases and functionality are the same. For Chinese made gear, I like the Chinese designs and brands better anyway, so that is what I would do. We know how much talent there is in China.

Why involve a Western firm at all if they can't even make things themselves?

Why would they make the Western market version better?

I know there are possible reasons, but personally, I would rather just get a 120V version of something initially designed for the Asian markets.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seven pages of trashing a brand without any evidence, just based on assumptions or personal idiosyncrasies. (Almost) everybody knows that a number of Consonance products are designed by Bent Holter.

BTW I don't own any Hegel product and have no plans to buy one in the future.

Top Bottom