• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is the Active Bookshelf Speakers deeper than the passive Tower Speakers dive?

sysfc6

Why is theActive Bookshelf Speakers deeper than the passive Tower Speakers dive?

Examples:150》f208

QQ图片20230709103115.png
QQ图片20230709103220.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

1) The Revel is passive; no DSP. The Neumann uses DSP.
2) The Revel is floorstanding. Manufacturer assumes that the speaker will be used in a larger environment, and that there will be boundary reinforcement. The Neumann is targeted for the nearfield, where such reinforcement is greatly reduced or nonexistent.
3) The Revel is designed to produce high SPLs because of use position. The Neumann, less so, again because of use position. Therefore, the Neumann can be equalized to a greater degree, achieving flatter and deeper response at the cost of output.

Jim

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

1) The Revel is passive; no DSP. The Neumann uses DSP.
2) The Revel is floorstanding. Manufacturer assumes that the speaker will be used in a larger environment, and that there will be boundary reinforcement. The Neumann is targeted for the nearfield, where such reinforcement is greatly reduced or nonexistent.
3) The Revel is designed to produce high SPLs because of use position. The Neumann, less so, again because of use position. Therefore, the Neumann can be equalized to a greater degree, achieving flatter and deeper response at the cost of output.

Jim
19 square feet of space in pursuit of sound reproduction listening distance of 2.5 meters with 150 + 750(2.1) good or f206 good it?

D

Deleted member 21219

19 square feet of space in pursuit of sound reproduction listening distance of 2.5 meters with 150 + 750(2.1) good or f206 good it?

I don't know. I prefer nearfield .... always. Someone else can post here and help you, I am sure. :)

(BTW .... 19 square feet? Maybe 19 square meters? Or 19 feet square, which is 19 feet on a side?)

Jim

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

I don't know. I prefer nearfield .... always. Someone else can post here and help you, I am sure. :)

(BTW .... 19 square feet? Maybe 19 square meters? Or 19 feet square, which is 19 feet on a side?)

Jim
Okay thanks:)

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

ah ....... and about the measurements?

Jim

The same size speaker speakers, I feel that the active box than the passive box of low-frequency dive to deep, I feel that it should be and active box of high-frequency and low-frequency independent amplifier to push the relationship

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A passive speaker Revel F206 and a monitor studio Neumann KH150 (amp+dsp) do not have the same purpose.
If you want to give justice to the F206 in this comparaison, place an amp+dsp driving the Revel.
A room correction with bass boost will do a similar job to what is made inside the KH150.
A modern AVR is able to do that.

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

A passive speaker Revel F206 and a monitor studio Neumann KH150 (amp+dsp) do not have the same purpose.
If you want to give justice to the F206 in this comparaison, place an amp+dsp driving the Revel.
A room correction with bass boost will do a similar job to what is made inside the KH150.
A modern AVR is able to do that.
Exclude dsp and still have the same problem:)
QQ图片20230709123651.png
QQ图片20230709124349.png

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Exclude dsp and still have the same problem"
For sure not: the dsp in the KH50 is doing a bass boost sending hundreds of watts in the low frequencies range.
It cannot be inhibited.
For the comparison to be fair, someone needs to place a similar powerfull AVR, set the bass boost (double bass + EQ) and measure again the Revel.
I am sure that the low frequencies will be enhanced.
I have large column speakers similar F208 to the Revel and it is what I am doing.
Dual woofers need power to be able to give basses.
You need to see the woofer moving when cranking up the volume.
By definition a studio monitor has difficulties when SPL level is going up: they are not designed for that.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because any speaker can be flat to any frequency if you EQ it, as long as you measure within its output limitations at that frequency. The 8030C still has EQ it's just not digital.

You can EQ the Revel or Polk to have more bass too The whole concept of "extension" is total nonsense once you have a method of EQ, all that exists is output limitations.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never look at the point where it goes down. For bass extension the -10 dB point is much more relevant. -10 dB is only half as loud to your ears.

D

Deleted member 21219

The same size speaker speakers, I feel that the active box than the passive box of low-frequency dive to deep, I feel that it should be and active box of high-frequency and low-frequency independent amplifier to push the relationship

I meant the measurements of your room. Please verify.

Jim

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Here is an example of one of my F206s in my small room (16.5 M^2) with and without a little extension help from DSP:

Revel F206 No Correction vs AcourateDRC Overlay.png

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
For the first one there's something surprisingly simple going on: the bass alignments are different. The F208 uses what is called an Extended Bass Shelf alignment. The KH150 appears to be close to a more typical Quasi-Butterworth alignment (ish, hard to tell exactly what's going on because of extensive use of EQ) plus an electronic high pass filter. Notice that they start rolling off steeply at about the same point.

As for the second one, I wouldn't read too much into that. -3dB is generally the spec to compare. The Genelec goes deeper because it is designed to do so and uses a woofer that can extend deeper.

D

Deleted member 21219

500cmx400cm:)

Thank you.
4 meters x 5 meters is 13x16.5 feet, with a listening position 8 feet (2.5 meters) away. That room is large enough for the Revel. The ideal listening distance for the Neumann is less than 8 feet (2.5 meters) away.

Jim

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

Thank you.
4 meters x 5 meters is 13x16.5 feet, with a listening position 8 feet (2.5 meters) away. That room is large enough for the Revel. The ideal listening distance for the Neumann is less than 8 feet (2.5 meters) away.

Jim
Now I am considering to buy 310 or 150 + 750, the forum said 310 clarity is not as good as 150 now I am very torn

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

Thank you.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_114559.jpg
    IMG_20230710_114559.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Top Bottom