• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does spotify sound better then my hifi setup through headphones?

whyrhd

hey everyone !

I'm new here and have a question that has been following me for a while.

Whenever I listen to spotify (paid subscription, highest quality) via my headphones on PC (jack) or phone (also jack) the music sounds a lot less harsh then when I listen to the same music on my Denon PMA600ne + matching CD player from Denon.

This is using the same headphones.

I really love collecting hard copies of music, but it's hard to justify it when Spotify actually sounds more pleasant to my ears..

Anyone who could enlighten me ? :)

Would a dac be able to solve this ? Though Denon should have a good dac afaik ?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which headphones are you using? It's more common for headphones to have a frequency-dependent issue with an HP amp than it is with speakers.

Also, it's not unlikely that "the same music", unless it was released in the past 10 years or so, is actually a different master on CD vs. Spotify. In that case, the difference has nothing to do with the equipment.

The last possibility is that the Denon is simply set to a louder volume than the other devices, could that be it?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most likely different mastering on the CD. See loudness wars.

If you post back with the specific spotify track, and the specific CD version/release, someone may have an indication for you.

jcarys

The most likely explanation is the mix and mastering of the Spotify version. Both Spotify and the record labels now assume that you're listening on headphones, so they make sure that the master they supply sounds good listening that way. They use a bit of compression and other mastering to get a dialed in sound.

You mentioned that the Spotify version sound less harsh. It's possible that your CD playback system is resolving more higher frequencies and for some reason you just don't enjoy it. I would think a bit of equalization is going to be a smarter fix for you than adding a new DAC.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess one test you could do is try and play Spotify back through the Denon and see if there's any obvious difference between that and PC. If no, then my guess is also that it's different masters.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Levels of the recording /playback software (or hardware) may be lower from Spotify playing devices than Cd

Different masters

output impedance of Spotify playing devices different to denon and impacting frequency response of headphones

Some combination of those 3.

OP
W

whyrhd

hi, thanks for all the replies

It's not just one track, it's everything, I think (read : i'm sure) it's the higher frequencies i don't like as spotify sounds less harsh
i'm using sony mdr 1a and really cheap sony earbuds

call me stupid, but how can i equalize ? bass and treble knobs ?

also i have the same problem when listening to speakers, often it sounds a tad too bright for me. Tried various combos but same problem, though i'm sure my room acoustics has to do with it too

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your perception is a function of many co-mingled effects. It will be difficut to provide an answer. However, we can provide a framework from which you can derive your own conclusion.

1) Most influential contributor to sound perception in order of effect: speakers, room (echoes/cancelation), source, electronics.

So first thing to consider is the quality of your speakers and their interaction with the room. Without getting into the technicals - large, full range speakers (or bookshelves with well integrated subwoofer support) with a nice even frequency and directivity response matching the Harman curve will most likely satisfy most users in an average room (think big room with a tiled floor and walls and no furniture as being something to avoid). Look around this forum - there's plenty of education here as to the above.

As for your source -most CDs should sound just fine and ought to be indistinguishible from Spotify to normal ears. However - there are better and worse recordings regrdless of medium.

Finally, electronics will usually contribute so little to sound perception compared with the above - that I can suggest you can ignore them for the time being.

2) Headphones, provided they generally comply with the Harman curve, will most likely satisfy the average human with average hearing. Additionally - listening to music with headphones means you are not competting with environmental noise and are probably listening at a perceptional volume thats louder than you normally listen to your speakers - and in audio reproduction - louder is better almost all the time.

Look - your headphones and phone are portable. Why don't you grab your fave CDs and seek out a HiFi vendor where you can experience those tunes on a quality (KEF, REVEL, JBL, etc etc etc) system and then compare again. I suspect - that you will find that you enjoy both equally - though you may listen for different things from the speakers than from the headphones. The feeling of loud low bass may be what excites you with speakers, but on headphones you may be enamoured by fine details in the highs.

In the end - I am of the opinion that high quality speaker systems and high quality headphone systems willl sound equaly as good regardless of source.

OP
W

whyrhd

Thanks for the information

My speakers are JBl stage a170 by the way

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just what audio settings in Spotify are you using?

Barrelhouse Solly

My experience with Spotify, free in my case, in the car is that there's definitely some post-production stuff going on. I've listened to recordings of music I own and have played in the car from good line level sources and/or CDs that sound different from what I hear on Spotify. The Spotify versions sound a bit "enhanced" to me.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the information

My speakers are JBl stage a170 by the way
Both A180 and A170 measure OK for an affordable speaker. But there's probably distortion at play if you listen at loud volumes (over 86db) and they are reported to be rather bright as a whole ... So maybe that is the harshness you hear?

Yeah - grab your phones and head over to shop for some listening. It's not Spotify, it's likely your setup.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Most likely different mastering on the CD. See loudness wars.

If you post back with the specific spotify track, and the specific CD version/release, someone may have an indication for you.
Unlikely.

My money is on Spotify being a touch darker than CD even from the same master. I assume it's a result of the lossy compression.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A little rolled off in the treble. It's subtle, but if you know what to listen for it's pretty clearly there.

Top Bottom