• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Do You Own Benchmark Products?

denydog

I was looking to replace an NAD C275 power amp from 2008 just to see if I could improve on it. I had already bought a Topping Pre90 over a year ago and felt it sounded better than what it replaced.

I considered a typical higher-power class AB amp like a Parasound A21+, but it was kind of bigger, heavier, and hotter than I wanted.

I thought about class D amps but just never liked the idea of the ultrasonic noise generated.

I was impressed with reviews of Benchmark's AHB2 and didn't see any negatives, so I splurged and bought a pair. It turns out that just one would have been fine. I'm happy with my system now and don't have any more thoughts about what's next.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

lowmagnet

I used the DAC1 USB from 2008 until earlier this year. I think they're kind of priced out of my range now, and the DAC1 had some seriously weird flaws, but It gave me 16 years of pretty good service (just set it -1 dB before sending it out. ;) )

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I used the DAC1 USB from 2008 until earlier this year. I think they're kind of priced out of my range now, and the DAC1 had some seriously weird flaws, but It gave me 16 years of pretty good service (just set it -1 dB before sending it out. ;) )
Yea I have three DAC1 variants and all still work perfectly. I'm a audio hoarder so 2 of the 3 are collecting dust. Their DACs make little sense anymore with the SOTA stuff available for $200.

Peewee12

My original DAC1 (no USB) was purchased because the mastering studio I was working in had several in use. It has been sent back to Benchmark twice because of the really weird static problem that the volume POT inevitably develops over time. Other that that, they are wonderful products that professionals can count on. It still sounds amazing to this day.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Benchmark HPA4 for several reasons:
  1. I wanted a preamp for my stereo system with multiple balanced inputs.
  2. It measured impeccably.
  3. I wanted to reduce the number of components in my system and the HPA4 replaced two.
  4. I was able to buy it used for about 50% of retail.
I've looked at buying a matching Benchmark DAC but cannot justify the money when the Topping E70 I have is equally capable.

Martin

Last edited:

lowmagnet

Yea I have three DAC1 variants and all still work perfectly. I'm a audio hoarder so 2 of the 3 are collecting dust. Their DACs make little sense anymore with the SOTA stuff available for $200.
the hoarding is real. I have the dac1 a old chinese dac from before, and a JDS Element gathering dust now. :D

Top Bottom