• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are most bookshelf speakers made for analog?

DaveDee

Most people aren't listening to music on record players or CD players anymore. They listen to digital playlists, whether through smartphone or computer.

I got the Neumi BS5P recently and it comes with a RCA to RCA cable instead of a RCA to 3.5mm cable. Why? The latter should be the norm.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Because bookshelf only accept audio analog. Also people enjoying listen on sofa.

Duckeenie

The majority of the smartphone market doesn't want to plug their phone into a pair of speakers, they're happy using bluetooth.

JiiPee

I'd say that there are two separate categories:

a) Bookshelf speakers that are intended to be on bookshelves or speaker stands, and connected to audio electronics via speaker cables if passive, or via rca/XLR/spdiff/toslink/usb/wireless if active.

b) Desktop speakers that are intended to be connected to computers/PDAs/smartphones via various means typical to those equipment.

The use cases are different.

JiiPee

Even though majority of us may listen music from computers (whether from a local computer, or via network), it does not necessarily mean that we want to connect our speakers directly to that computer (or to some connected wireless device). Many of use separate DACs and separate amplifiers anyway.

AudiOhm

Actually I am surprised that any Audio equipment comes with cables any more.

I have so many, I wish they would stop.

Ohms

OP
D

DaveDee

The majority of the smartphone market doesn't want to plug their phone into a pair of speakers, they're happy using bluetooth.

Has anyone ever measured bluetooth? I assume it's terrible.

OP
D

DaveDee

Even though majority of us may listen music from computers (whether from a local computer, or via network), it does not necessarily mean that we want to connect our speakers directly to that computer (or to some connected wireless device). Many of use separate DACs and separate amplifiers anyway.

Is there a real benefit to using, say, a Topping D10s with active speakers? Just louder volume? I was considering getting one but my speakers are already powered so I don't know if the difference would be significant.

Moderate Dionysianism

No it isn't. The LDAC codec performs really well:

JiiPee

Actually I am surprised that any Audio equipment comes with cables any more.

I have so many, I wish they would stop.

Ohms
Maybe in the future we have wireless connections and battery powered equipment with a separate charging station? Of course this is already what we have with PDAs/smartphones.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you're assuming wrong, you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference even at low average bitrates, And in any case it's possible that some smartphone dac implementations are an even worse evil

Hexspa

No it isn't. The LDAC codec performs really well:

Old Bluetooth had more limitations. Afaik Apple is not supporting the most recent version. I could be wrong.

Hexspa

you're assuming wrong, you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference even at low average bitrates, And in any case it's possible that some smartphone dac implementations are an even worse evil
Is it not so that even the most basic Bluetooth supports almost 300kbps? The question is whether all that data is for audio and I believe it’s not. Using a regular mp3 as a standard, I think most people can distinguish between 128kbps lossy and lossless, even if it takes some training. By 256kbps, I’m not sure and I consider 320kbps to functionally identical to lossless assuming you’re just listening and not heavily processing the file.

OP
D

DaveDee

I believe anything wired always performs better than wireless, even if inappreciable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe anything wired always performs better than wireless, even if inappreciable.
Better ? More reliably, possible.
I'm old school and with you on this DaveDee
I use wired network where ever possible, etc.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to believe it too when it came to gaming mice.
Until I got my G700s a few years back.

Never looked at cable mice again. Not having a cable work against you is so much nicer.

In audio: BT isn't lossless, maybe perceptually transparent but still not lossless. Still, convenience beats the potential loss in quality by a landslide.
Transmission via wireless home network is literally bit-perfect.

OP
D

DaveDee

Many people like to spice up their hobbies with beliefs. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Bit strange in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks.

Better ? More reliably, possible.
I'm old school and with you on this DaveDee
I use wired network where ever possible, etc.
That's what I meant by better, as in more reliable.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think OP is skipping a few steps

there's active speakers

there's active speakers w/ bluetooth

there's passive speakers

pick your poison... capitalism means there's heaps of choice in these categories

Top Bottom