• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
This is from my personal experience:
1. JDS Labs by a very wide margin
2. Yamaha - specifically their speaker amplifiers as well as their instruments division
3. Sennheiser
I also have very good experience with Sennheiser.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Benchmark Media for sure!
Yes ^^^. There is nothing inexpensive about Benchmark, but if "ethical" means you receive quality that matches or exceeds cost, then Benchmark hits the bullseye. Plus, their customer service is unparalleled by any company I've ever dealth with, so if that contributes to "ethical" then, again, Benchmark hits the bullseye.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I'm talking about audio companies that hyperbolize their product's ability to make a system sound better for a price that exceeds what gold costs per ounce--or whatever comparison you'd like to use.

I've always considered DECWARE a DIY who does business fare.
One the other end of the spectrum I'd put PS Audio or AudioQuest -- who seem to have no shame.

What are some ethical companies out there we should be supporting?
I think this is an excellent thread/topic.
The buyers decide which products will do well on the market.
If we buy from ethical manufacturers only, then the business will totally change to the better.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I think this is an excellent thread/topic.
The buyers decide which products will do well on the market.
If we buy from ethical manufacturers only, then the business will totally change to the better.
Then they should just sell direct and remove the dealers who are just middlemen!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Already watched rather than now, but I found the new series Fallout to be binge worthy :)

I am not a believer in Elon's hype, but the hype is also pushed by others, including the underwriters of his acquisition of Twitter (~$13 billion). A well known manufacturer of speakers said that when he attended the Germany audio show last year the sole American brand of cars in Munich was Tesla. The company is expanding its manufacturing, I would be surprised if Tesla was not having big issues with growth (supply lines, manufacturing, regulations and so on).
There are many-many thousands of current Ford automobiles sold in Germany and all over Europe. Ford is a major brand name there, and have been for decades.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often hear Bryston called an “ethical” manufacturer. They seem to be an engineering-driven company. Their gear is priced pretty dang high, although probably due to 1). Limited economies of scale; 2). Canadian labor costs and benefits; 3). Dealer and distributor margins; 4). Long warranty costs.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my short list of ethical audio contacts that I find absolutely exceptional.

1. Rick of Sykora Sound Solutions
When I needed a March Audio P452 repair and didn't want to ship the amp back to Australia, Rick agreed to fix it. I shipped it to him in Ohio and he completed the repair and returned it in record time. Rick is wonderful to work with. He treats his customers first class. He's an amazing wealth of audio information and sells custom built amps as well. I can't compliment him enough. You can reach him on ASR @Rick Sykora

2. Fred of Boxem
When I was looking for a new Purifi amp with a small foot print in a nice looking case I found Fred of Boxem Audio.
Fred was able to answer all my questions and customize a Purifi build just the way I wanted it. His customer service skills are excellent. I received the 4215/E2 amp soon after placing the order. Boxem is a first class engineering organization and Fred offers a wonderful customer experience.

3. Amir at Madrona Digital
@amirm
When I was looking for new speakers I contacted Amir for pricing and advice. He has an epic amount of knowledge and helped find just the speaker to fit my needs. My experience with Madrona Digital was absolutely positive. I can't praise Amir's company enough.

I have ordered from many other companies with various results. However, these three companies stand out as being way in front of the herd for being amazing audio resources before and after the sale! They are definitely on my short list of Top Audio Contacts.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my short list of ethical audio contacts that I find absolutely exceptional.

1. Rick of Sykora Sound Solutions
When I needed a March Audio P452 repair and didn't want to ship the amp back to Australia, Rick agreed to fix it. I shipped it to him in Ohio and he completed the repair and returned it in record time. Rick is wonderful to work with. He treats his customers first class. He's an amazing wealth of audio information and sells custom built amps as well. I can't compliment him enough. You can reach him on ASR @Rick Sykora

2. Fred of Boxem
When I was looking for a new Purifi amp with a small foot print in a nice looking case I found Fred of Boxem Audio.
Fred was able to answer all my questions and customize a Purifi build just the way I wanted it. His customer service skills are excellent. I received the 4215/E2 amp soon after placing the order. Boxem is a first class engineering organization and Fred offers a wonderful customer experience.

3. Amir at Madrona Digital
@amirm
When I was looking for new speakers I contacted Amir for pricing and advice. He has an epic amount of knowledge and helped find just the speaker to fit my needs. My experience with Madrona Digital was absolutely positive. I can't praise Amir's company enough.

I have ordered from many other companies with various results. However, these three companies stand out as being way in front of the herd for being amazing audio resources before and after the sale! They are definitely on my short list of Top Audio Contacts.
That is very cool! That they are all ASR peeps makes it extra sooper cool. What kind of sales peeps did you experience at Madrona Digital? Easy going, closers, relaxed, professional expert type etc?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very cool! That they are all ASR peeps makes it extra sooper cool. What kind of sales peeps did you experience at Madrona Digital? Easy going, closers, relaxed, professional expert type etc?
Madrona was super easy to deal with. Absolutely no pressure. They were just there to help.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Madrona was super easy to deal with. Absolutely no pressure. They were just there to help.
Wow. That's really rare. They must have some serious skills and product resources to be so relaxed. :D

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often hear Bryston called an “ethical” manufacturer. They seem to be an engineering-driven company. Their gear is priced pretty dang high, although probably due to 1). Limited economies of scale; 2). Canadian labor costs and benefits; 3). Dealer and distributor margins; 4). Long warranty costs.
I own quite a bit of Bryston gear, most of it used. I have been in contact with Bryston sales and service for over 15 years and I would call them ethical.

aschen

Owner of bryston James Tanner I think he is named is quite a gentleman and it is obvious they care about their products and customers. I have owned quite a few "high end" pieces over the years, and have some times been disappointed in the "illusion of quality". Everything about the 2 bryston items I have owned screams actual quality inside and out and care of manufacture to me. I dont mind paying a bit extra for that. Plus I think I got something like a free 38wpc according to the print out of test data I got with my 4b3 amp. I tell ya what isnt quality: an amp that makes occasional wierd noises in its 7th year, or a component that has no service or parts support after power surge damage, just hypotheticals

Top Bottom