• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

D

Deleted member 60987

Ethical has many sides.
Decent wages to people it employs (costs money)
Genuine parts (costs money)
Environmental friendly (yes,also costs money)
After sales service,ease of service,good overall record (costs money)
Decent performance (doesn't necessarily costs,except we put durability too,then it costs money)

If after the above asking prices are decent I consider them ethical.
Good points.

D

Deleted member 60987

jds lab, yamaha, neumann, genelec, rme.... there are many more but it depends on what's considered 'ethical'.
for example, schiit makes both product that cater the ASR crowd and the head-fi crowd, and the CEO is blogposting about his subjectivism every now and then, does that make them 'snake-oily'?
I feel like if we only go with 'measurement-based' criteria then it's still a bit incomplete.
Sounds about right. How about Adam Audio? They turn out some fine speakers.

D

Deleted member 60987

I'm talking about audio companies that hyperbolize their product's ability to make a system sound better for a price that exceeds what gold costs per ounce--or whatever comparison you'd like to use.

I've always considered DECWARE a DIY who does business fare.
One the other end of the spectrum I'd put PS Audio or AudioQuest -- who seem to have no shame.

What are some ethical companies out there we should be supporting?
They probably wouldn't put weights in their headphones to make them seem substantial. Or build a reputation then trash it putting out crappy models with a high price tag. Or worse call a cheap model the same as a better one. Probably also wouldn't need nets on their building so employees don't take the easy way out.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oppo Digital—the U.S.-based subsidiary of BBK Electronics who made universal players, headphones, and related gear. Intensely consumer focused in their product development, extremely good customer support, and fair prices. Too bad this business model wasn’t sustainable.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They probably wouldn't put weights in their headphones to make them seem substantial.
Hold on there. I am not aware of a manufacturer putting weights in headphones, but JDS Labs puts weights in corners of their Atom amp for a legitimate reason— the amp is so light that without the weights, the RCA and power cables would pull the amp off the desk! JDS Labs will let you specify the amount of weight to put in the corners. It’s not like a secret or anything underhanded.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

D

Deleted member 60987

Hold on there. I am not aware of a manufacturer putting weights in headphones, but JDS Labs puts weights in corners of their Atom amp for a legitimate reason— the amp is so light that without the weights, the RCA and power cables would pull the amp off the desk! JDS Labs will let you specify the amount of weight to put in the corners. It’s not like a secret or anything underhanded.
Beats. Dr Dre put weights in them just to make them seem more significant. But hey, I use headphones largely for recording an mixing and no one uses Beats for that. They are a joke https://www.cnet.com/culture/the-four-bits-of-metal-that-make-beats-headphones-feel-less-flimsy/

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
D

Deleted member 60987

sold by weight, like meat...
They might make rap or dance music sound good. I can't say. But I am not going to shell out $300 to find out. I'm more of a hard rock fan. Does Boston, Black Sabbath and Blink 182 sound good through headphones? The Beatles, Killers or Pink Floyd? I'm sold.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Oppo Digital—the U.S.-based subsidiary of BBK Electronics who made universal players, headphones, and related gear. Intensely consumer focused in their product development, extremely good customer support, and fair prices. Too bad this business model wasn’t sustainable.
I can Vouch for Oppo! Years after they are gone I needed a set of pads and a headband for my PM-2 and they were able to help me. Price was like $20 for a new headband!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beats. Dr Dre put weights in them just to make them seem more significant. But hey, I use headphones largely for recording a mixing and no one uses Beats for that. They are a joke https://www.cnet.com/culture/the-four-bits-of-metal-that-make-beats-headphones-feel-less-flimsy/
So, I did a little research and the metal parts in the Beats Solo headphones (metal construction of the headband-to-earcup sliders and metal trim pieces at a transition point between two different materials on the headband) seem just as likely to have been used for durability and decorative reasons than just to increase weight. Not to defend Beats sound quality—they stink in that regard.

D

Deleted member 60987

So, I did a little research and the metal parts in the Beats Solo headphones (metal construction of the headband-to-earcup sliders and metal trim pieces at a transition point between two different materials on the headband) seem just as likely to have been used for durability and decorative reasons than just to increase weight. Not to defend Beats sound quality—they stink in that regard.
Yup. I just remember reading about people finding weights that didn't seem to serve any purpose other than justifying the $300 for them.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In terms of home theatre brands, HSU, Rythmik, SVS, JTR, and PowerSoundAudio are all well regarded. No products that could be classified as snake oil and decent customer service.
Are there only honest brands in the subwoofer business?

Barrelhouse Solly

Being ancient of days the basic question is a hard one for me. All of the companies I know something about are out of business or have been sold many times. I remember Acoustic Research, Dynaco, and the various Henry Kloss brands as ethical in the sense of representing their products more or less accurately and selling them at a fair price.

I'm glad Elon Musk doesn't have an audio company.

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Apollon, Goldenear. Yamaha for AV receivers, piano and keyboard. JBL pro audio has always helped me. They will talk audio products, set up and performance until you say bye.

I know it's outside of your question but for sales my go to is Crutchfield for home and pro audio. Knowledgeable plus sixty day return window.

Last edited:
Top Bottom