• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

Would you buy a speaker without first listening to it?

• Yes, but only if I had no way to audition it

• Yes, if I trust the reviews and measurements

• Yes, if it were inexpensive or could be returned

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

charleski

Major Contributor
Yes, they are flawed, yes, they can deceive you, but I have visions of someone sitting in their favourite chair, with gritted teeth, listening to music, but not enjoying it, reciting a mantra 'just relax, this is the best measuring speaker in your price range, just relax', as a single bead of sweat drips off their brow.
It's actually quite the opposite. I can listen to a range of speakers (including ones that measure quite poorly), and they'll all sound just fine to me, just a bit different. I have no doubt that with a fair amount of effort I could train myself to roughly identify problems with speakers by ear, though that training would need regular refreshes and I have absolutely zero interest in going down that route. My ears are for enjoying music, not measuring it.

If you listen to a speaker and don't like what you hear, then don't buy it. No-one in their right mind would suggest otherwise. But a speaker that measures well is far more likely to produce sound you consistently enjoy than one which only really works with the right material and the right mental state.

Xombul

Forum Donor
Me
Listening loudspeakers before buying them is just a waste of time and energy as they always interfere with the listening room (for better or worse). I believe it is easier to select them according to some criteria like objective measurement/budget/look etc.
Then you can EQ your brand new loudspeakers to your own listening room and taste.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
a speakers with good measures will sound well.
Me
Listening loudspeakers before buying them is just a waste of time and energy as they always interfere with the listening room (for better or worse). I believe it is easier to select them according to some criteria like objective measurement/budget/look etc.
Then you can EQ your brand new loudspeakers to your own listening room and taste.
for you and me.
the hifi shop is the worst place to listen .

YSC

Major Contributor
It's actually quite the opposite. I can listen to a range of speakers (including ones that measure quite poorly), and they'll all sound just fine to me, just a bit different. I have no doubt that with a fair amount of effort I could train myself to roughly identify problems with speakers by ear, though that training would need regular refreshes and I have absolutely zero interest in going down that route. My ears are for enjoying music, not measuring it.

If you listen to a speaker and don't like what you hear, then don't buy it. No-one in their right mind would suggest otherwise. But a speaker that measures well is far more likely to produce sound you consistently enjoy than one which only really works with the right material and the right mental state.
exactly, and one merit of measurement and especially the owning of UMIK + REW is my best ever decision also, in a room there is inevitably room modes, so when one don't know how to tame it, you might say find a tiny speaker on a desk "boomy, muddy/veiled" and just try and try, ended up with a pair of bright/bass shy speaker where it don't really work anywhere else except on the desk, and still with a lot of other flaws. using REW makes integrating the sub with main speaker far easier and great to tame all the room modes.

Actives in this sense is more user friendly with the general presets to counter various boundary effects for speaker and much easier to attain the results one enjoy.

Digby

Major Contributor
But a speaker that measures well is far more likely to produce sound you consistently enjoy than one which only really works with the right material and the right mental state.
Sure, but there are not insignificant differences between the best measuring speakers, enough to have me favour one or the other. You are more likely to hit the target if you pick something that measures well, but listening first should increase this likelihood of success further still, or don't you agree?

You can't EQ dispersion, distortion or imaging abilities though (among other things). These have a not insignificant impact of the sound.

I don't think you can necessarily EQ the bass response of one ported speaker to sound like another in the bass - port tuning, resonances, group delay (whatever that is) all that malarky has an impact which EQ probably cannot fix.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?​

Me.
I have a couple of times managed to get a take home and listen arrangement. I didn't keep them.
I haven't changed my stereo equipment often.
I rely on measurements to choose what I buy.
I like listening to music; not pissing around trying to see if I can discern tiny variations in performance. It must be a terrible thing when all one hears is the equipment faults.

YSC

Major Contributor

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?​

Me.
I have a couple of times managed to get a take home and listen arrangement. I didn't keep them.
I haven't changed my stereo equipment often.
I rely on measurements to choose what I buy.
I like listening to music; not pissing around trying to see if I can discern tiny variations in performance. It must be a terrible thing when all one hears is the equipment faults.
And constant “upgrades” of the newly auditioned new love…

RobL

But what do you do if you don't like them...:oops:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to the 1032cs, when they finally arrive :rolleyes:
Well, I got them for a pretty good discount so I’m pretty sure that I can get out of them without much loss. I don’t think that’ll be an issue though as I know from Toole’s research that because of their excellent measurements (specifically directivity) that they will respond to EQ very well so I can tailor them easily to my particular tastes. :)

Digby

Major Contributor
Well, I got them for a pretty good discount so I’m pretty sure that I can get out of them without much loss. I don’t think that’ll be an issue though as I know from Toole’s research that because of their excellent measurements (specifically directivity) that they will respond to EQ very well so I can tailor them easily to my particular tastes. :)
If they are much better than the 1032cs, I will PM you my address so you know where to dispose of those old things ;).

Digby

Major Contributor
I'd prefer to be like that, I really would, but it is not so much listening for faults, but things making themselves apparent. I don't agree that, with no real effort, a person who can hear a difference between one good speaker and another are 'pissing around' though.

If that was true, there would be one perfect speaker and that would be the end of it. Most people agree there is no such beast.

RobL

If they are much better than the 1032cs, I will PM you my address so you know where to dispose of those old things ;).
Unfortunately, I’ve already sold the 1032’s in anticipation of the new speakers arriving. :(

Pulkass

I have seen this question come up a few times. I think things have changed over the last 20 years in terms of the quality and quantity of information we now have access to. Does that change anyone's view?

I would never have considered doing this 20 years ago, a few of my recent purchases have been based on trusted reviews (which included music listening) and measurements.
I bought in the past without listening. A big mistake. The best buying session cometh in my listening room.

JaccoW

Bought a pair of Harbeth C7ES-3 in eucalyptus second-hand for half price while only having listened to a pair a year earlier in a store. It was a good decision.

Digby

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I’ve already sold the 1032’s in anticipation of the new speakers arriving. :(
I see, so you are going all in on the theory, as a guinea pig for the forum.

dominikz

Forum Donor
So, you don't trust your ears?

I suppose this thread comes down to whether you 'trust' your ears or not.
In this specific sense I do not :); reasons are threefold:
  1. Sensory adaptation is a fact of human life. We'll get used to various sound signatures with enough exposure.
  2. Human perception (also cognition) is demonstrably fallible and unreliable.
  3. Reliable auditory memory of sound signatures is short in humans.
It is not to say I never can perceive differences, just that what I perceive may not always be consistent - with either my previous experiences or even with reality :) - it is simply one of the facts of being a human being :)
Sure, but there are not insignificant differences between the best measuring speakers, enough to have me favour one or the other. You are more likely to hit the target if you pick something that measures well, but listening first should increase this likelihood of success further still, or don't you agree?
Different well-measuring speakers sound audibly different, that is considered settled, but assuming no overload condition and similar low-frequency extension the differences between such are IME usually not really night-and day. I find the implied argument that someone might find one well-measuring loudspeaker great and another one impossible to live with unlikely (though not necessarily impossible). It sounds like a potential straw-man argument to me.

People find great satisfaction in listening/comparing/tweaking various pieces of gear and that is absolutely fine - it is a hobby after all.
After pursuing that for a while I found it is not my cup of tea - I personally find audible differences after a certain point are no longer a question of better or worse, just different (often slightly). Once I get to that point I can enjoy the music equally on any such piece of gear.
That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy learning about audio or doing certain type of equipment testing - I very much still do :)

Of course in the end people should pick whatever rocks their boat! :)
Is that nonsense though? I mean the recording techniques are quite different, not to mention the effects used in mixing rock will be absent in chamber/orchestral music.
There is not really a consistent sound signature to any genre of music, IMHO. Even each artist's own discography often contains tracks and albums with widely varying sound signatures between themselves (from tonality to amount of dynamic compression).

IMHO sound quality of the recording itself is the single most varying and deciding factor in reproduced sound quality - it is a losing game trying to fix that with gear selection.
It is like trying to remaster an already mastered recording and hoping the same fix would apply to any other recording - even if we manage to fix one, the same fix will only work for recordings with compatible deficiencies while at the same time it might exacerbate issues in other recordings.

In the end I am of the position that a loudspeaker is a reproduction device and should be equally successful in reproducing various types of sound, including different music recordings. In my experience loudspeakers with flattish on-axis and even off-axis radiation do just that.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen this question come up a few times. I think things have changed over the last 20 years in terms of the quality and quantity of information we now have access to. Does that change anyone's view?

I would never have considered doing this 20 years ago, a few of my recent purchases have been based on trusted reviews (which included music listening) and measurements.
My wife will Sonos
:facepalm:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Actually, now you mention it, so have I. However I had an extensive inspection/testing and report done on the vehicle before I sealed the deal though... the test drive was the 2 hour drive home in effect. Best car I ever purchased and I still have that car now.

JSmith
Can't do that at all as I'm not quite a standard size (shorter arms and legs). Maybe the exalted higher end vehicles some of you look at have full driver adjustments for seat and steering wheel, but this is one thing which can be tailored down in a smaller hatchback such as many of us drive over this way. Most popular motors here have more than good enough ride and handling but all-round visibility can be compromised in some, although popular reviews may point this out..

Headphones are items that must be worn to see if the feel is ok long term as no head is different and again, some bods like me get sweaty ears and claustrophobia symptoms if they're worn too long. Bleed out on open-back types is a no-no here and in-ear types never stay in properly (one of my aids keeps pushing out with no audible effect, but I'm scared it'll catch and fall out if I'm clumsy. I've memories of the now ancient 'Jeclin Float' headphones which sounded good back then but fell off your head if you weren't careful (you looked like a Cyberman as well, which was amusing at the time).

goat76

Major Contributor
And constant “upgrades” of the newly auditioned new love…
...or happy for the eternal future with something that unfortunately doesn't sound very good, but at least measures great! :)

Adi777

They are all excellent, but likely they sound quite different from one another, probably different enough that they could be distinguished from each other in blind testing. If they are all excellent, but sound different from each, then which one is most excellent
Yes, I just wrote about it.

YSC

Major Contributor
...or happy for the eternal future with something that unfortunately doesn't sound very good, but at least measures great! :)
This is just like the bad joke of choosing between poop taste like curry or curry that taste like poop, but in reality ppl think that curry that taste like curry is the best

Top Bottom