• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

pthung

You can also check this new model, dual TPA3255 Board :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

H1748f1e4cc4f43018521979d54d3fb7d6.jpg
How does it sound in comparison to 3e Audio module or Aiyima?

daniboun

Major Contributor
How does it sound in comparison to 3e Audio module or Aiyima?

I just own the single version, so no idea about the dual.
But single version (stéréo) is just OK... PSU is not so good and only provide 36V / 250W. You can update OP amps to make it better

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you.
BTW, how do you conduct your listening tests? Is there any sort of A/B element?

The problem in this case is that without measurement I necessarily induce a subjectivity ....
On the other hand, I have a bunch of amps including a Pass Aleph pure Class A + MOS120 class AB. I have been a musician for 20 years born of a classical guitarist / harmonica daddy, I rather have a good ear to tell you that this TPA3255 module from DrMordor is a awesome !

The only bad point I see with this amp = it is quite sensitive to interferences (especially if you stream like me in BT APTX HD or LDAC via a high end DAC). I could soon compare it to a very, very high-end amp (Purifi or true GaN, I am still hesitating) At this point I could really tell you if this DrMordor module is a reference amp.

In all for now, it gives me a lot more sensations than my Hypex Ncore double mono or my double mono Pascal (DIA400S is based on my same Pascal modules, it is a $4000 amp). A friend of mine also confirmed to me that he found it much better than a Parasound A23 he owns ($2000 amp) !

Even if I know that the price is not necessarily a factor of quality in the Audiophile world, I think that the amps that I mentioned above, are still good references.

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

The problem in this case is that without measurement I necessarily induce a subjectivity ....
On the other hand, I have a bunch of amps including a Pass Aleph pure Class A + MOS120 class AB. I have been a musician for 20 years born of a classical guitarist / harmonica daddy, I rather have a good ear to tell you that this TPA3255 module from DrMordor is a awesome !

The only bad point I see with this amp = it is quite sensitive to interferences (especially if you stream like me in BT APTX HD or LDAC via a high end DAC). I could soon compare it to a very, very high-end amp (Purifi or true GaN, I am still hesitating) At this point I could really tell you if this DrMordor module is a reference amp.

In all for now, it gives me a lot more sensations than my Hypex Ncore double mono or my double mono Pascal
Unlike you, I'm not a pro in any way and I also lack the self confidence in my echoic memory when going from one device to another. The only way I would trust myself is if I could switch from one device to the other on the fly, i.e A/B. That doesn't mean any other listening test is useless, it's just more subjective.
Was curious as the methodology you use in your tests, if you don't mind sharing. e.g Do you play specific tracks, each time with a different amp? Is it all done in one session? etc

daniboun

Major Contributor
Unlike you, I'm not a pro in any way and I also lack the self confidence in my echoic memory when going from one device to another. The only way I would trust myself is if I could switch from one device to the other on the fly, i.e A/B. That doesn't mean any other listening test is useless, it's just more subjective.
Was curious as the methodology you use in your tests, if you don't mind sharing. e.g Do you play specific tracks, each time with a different amp? Is it all done in one session? etc

I will try to answer with more concrete elements then:

One thing being certain concerning the TPA3255 : it has an enormous potential if the elements surrounding it are carefully chosen. I can already tell you that there will very soon be on the market a new TPA3255 of which I can already share the measurements:

THD + N: 0.00012% / 10 watts @ 20-20Khz (8Ω)
THD + N: 0.001% / 100W watts @ 20-20Khz (8Ω)
SINAD @ 5W 1kHz into 4Ω : 110

So you can compare : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit#gid=0

With such measures, I already think I can say that this future module will perform almost as well as a Benchmark AHB2 and that it outperforms the BOSC Gan modules by Orchard Audio.

On the other hand, you are right to say that my approach is too approximate to give me a real idea of the performance of the DrMordor module, I hope to be able to get measures at the beginning of next year. DrMordor is a friend of mine and he's in the process of equipping himself to bring real measures to his job. I also expect a lot from the measures to come.

In the meantime, DrMordor has built his project around the elements recommended by 360 Customs, so he uses the suggested components with a variation in the choice of inductors and the SMPS LLC power supply, which is handcrafted @ 100%. By analogy, you can get an idea of the measurements here ( please consider this approach with reasoning by syllogism) :

https://www.360customs.de/2018/07/tpa3255-tpa3251-tpa3245-final/

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

I will try to answer with more concrete elements then:

One thing being certain concerning the TPA3255 : it has an enormous potential if the elements surrounding it are carefully chosen. I can already tell you that there will very soon be on the market a new TPA3255 of which I can already share the measurements:

THD + N: 0.00012% / 10 watts @ 20-20Khz (8Ω)
THD + N: 0.001% / 100W watts @ 20-20Khz (8Ω)
SINAD @ 5W 1kHz into 4Ω : 110

So you can compare : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit#gid=0

With such measures, I already think I can say that this future module will perform almost as well as a Benchmark AHB2 and that it outperforms the BOSC Gan modules by Orchard Audio.

On the other hand, you are right to say that my approach is too approximate to give me a real idea of the performance of the DrMordor module, I hope to be able to get measures at the beginning of next year. DrMordor is a friend of mine and he's in the process of equipping himself to bring real measures to his job. I also expect a lot from the measures to come.

In the meantime, DrMordor has built his project around the elements recommended by 360 Customs, so he uses the suggested components with a variation in the choice of inductors and the SMPS LLC power supply, which is handcrafted @ 100%. By analogy, you can get an idea of the measurements here ( please consider this approach with reasoning by syllogism) :

https://www.360customs.de/2018/07/tpa3255-tpa3251-tpa3245-final/
Thank you for the great info.
I was looking to get a general understanding of your method when doing your listening tests, not specific to one model or another. For example:
Do you have specific music track/s you use
Do you hook up one amp, listen, then move to another, then pick one of them as a prefered one and then compare it to another.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I fully understand that the human ear and that our brains are limited during listening tests, especially when switching from one amp to another ... However, as I am perfectly familiar with the intricacies of my Playlist and that I 've listened for hours and hours, I can already distinguish without any difficulty between an amp; which reproduces a formidable soundstage and one which is mediocre in this respect. On the other hand I invited three "audiophile" friends to share their impression with me, the opinions were certainly subjective but everyone agreed that the DrMordor module is exceptional in listening.

You re true anyways : let's wait for its creator to provide some measures.

My Equipment :

Double DAC AK4497 with two linear PSU OP Amps 1612 x2 + OP Amps 1656 X2
High end handcraft speakers 2.5 way (100W RMS / 93DB with ribbon Tweeter) about $5000
Playlist / source : The MA Recordings Audiophiliac HiRez Music Sampler 2020, 24 bit recording

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_101128.jpg
    IMG_20200416_101128.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 296

DuncanTodd

I fully understand that the human ear and that our brains are limited during listening tests, especially when switching from one amp to another ... However, as I am perfectly familiar with the intricacies of my Playlist and that I 've listened for hours and hours, I can already distinguish without any difficulty between an amp; which reproduces a formidable soundstage and one which is mediocre in this respect. On the other hand I invited three "audiophile" friends to share their impression with me, the opinions were certainly subjective but everyone agreed that the DrMordor module is exceptional in listening.

You re true anyways : let's wait for its creator to provide some measures.

My Equipment :

Double DAC AK4497 with two linear PSU OP Amps 1612 x2 + OP Amps 1656 X2
High end handcraft speakers 2.5 way (100W RMS / 93DB with ribbon Tweeter) about $5000
Playlist / source : The MA Recordings Audiophiliac HiRez Music Sampler 2020, 24 bit recording
Very nice setup. You built that speaker from scratch or it's based in some DIY kit?
Do you have a list of the amps by preference? We already know your #1, so #2, #3 etc.

Nabussan

For European people only, I am working with DrMordor. If you are looking for high end RTR TPA3255 amplifier, you can send me a private message.

I have tested many many TPA325X amplifiers, see my reviews on DIYaudio, this is the best board I tested.

Spec :
TPA3255 RTR
TDK-Epcos core inductors
OPA LM4562MA
Mains Caps : 6x Epcos Audio Grade
Buffer Caps : Elna Silmic II
400W SMPS LLC PSU integrated (EDT34 core)
RFI filter.
Output filter caps : TDK / WIMA
PBTL / PBL mode (full balanced / balanced)

Hi daniboun,

The TICORE260BTL referred to in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tpa3255-amp-do-you-recommend.9148/post-556099 looks quite compelling.

It has a "voltage gain" of "10.9"

If "10.9" was the voltage ratio, this would correspond to voltage gain of 20.7 dB, if I understand it correctly. But perhaps they mean "10.9 dB".

In any case, how would I match the amp with subwoofer amp modules that have gains of 26 dB or 28 dB, for example?

Attenuate the sw modules gain in the DSP (miniDSP, for example) accordingly?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Very nice setup. You built that speaker from scratch or it's based in some DIY kit?
Do you have a list of the amps by preference? We already know your #1, so #2, #3 etc.

It is a DIY floor speakers. 100% Handcraft in France. (the load volume is respected in each compartment inside).
Made with selected birch wood and coated with an Epoxy paint treated against scratching
They sound absolutely incredible )

My Top 3 amps (I own) :

1- DrMordor TPA3255 last version with LLC PSU and OP amps MC33272
2- Hypex Ncore Dual Mono NC500MP
3- AIYIMA TPA3251 with updated inductors + OPA1656 (external SMPS PSU).

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi daniboun,

The TICORE260BTL referred to in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tpa3255-amp-do-you-recommend.9148/post-556099 looks quite compelling.

It has a "voltage gain" of "10.9"

If "10.9" was the voltage ratio, this would correspond to voltage gain of 20.7 dB, if I understand it correctly. But perhaps they mean "10.9 dB".

In any case, how would I match the amp with subwoofer amp modules that have gains of 26 dB or 28 dB, for example?

Attenuate the sw modules gain in the DSP (miniDSP, for example) accordingly?

Good question, would be nice to ask to : [email protected]
I don't own this module...

Another info : I spoke with Jlester and told me that the module will perform : SINAD @ 5W 1kHz into 4Ω : 95

daniboun

Major Contributor
What sort of interferences?

When I connect the Bluetooth from my LG V30 > DAC AK4497 > Drmordor amp, I can ear some some disturbance into my speakers. (not during music)

I guess it is a radio-frequency interference or Electromagnetic interference. No issues to report via cables.
With my AIYIMA TPA3251, absolutely nothing to complain with, 0 disturbance....

DuncanTodd

When I connect the Bluetooth from my LG V30 > DAC AK4497 > Drmordor amp, I can ear some some disturbance into my speakers. (not during music)

I guess it is a radio-frequency interference or Electromagnetic interference. No issues to report via cables.
With my AIYIMA TPA3251, absolutely nothing to complain with, 0 disturbance....
I have the A04. When I first set it up I had a cordless phone stationed close to the RCA coax side (right) of the A04, and that was a much more noticeable buzz. It went away if I moved it to the speaker wire side (left) and/or if I dialed the pot all the way.

I then moved the cordless phone which removed the buzz, but If I press my ear very close to the speaker I can hear a tiny bit of hiss. I didn't try that when the speaker was running through the AVR, so that might be normal. There is a little bit more hiss if it's closer to the wall closer to other the electronics and cables underneath.
I'm too much of a newbie to understand the cause. Maybe I need better shielded coax cables? or could it be related to some internal components?

daniboun

Major Contributor
I have the A04. When I first set it up I had a cordless phone stationed close to the RCA coax side (right) of the A04, and that was a much more noticeable buzz. It went away if I moved it to the speaker wire side (left) and/or if I dialed the pot all the way.

I then moved the cordless phone which removed the buzz, but If I press my ear very close to the speaker I can hear a tiny bit of hiss. I didn't try that when the speaker was running through the AVR, so that might be normal. There is a little bit more hiss if it's closer to the wall closer to other the electronics and cables underneath.
I'm too much of a newbie to understand the cause. Maybe I need better shielded coax cables? or could it be related to some internal components?

In my case, both amps are practically in the same position, finally one above the DAC the other on the right ... when I say that the AIYIMA is absolutely silent, even in bluetooth mode I mean : absolutely dead silence even with your ears glued to the speakers....

I will try to install a copper film into the DrMordor H2000 case this week end to avoid RFI / EMI.
Another thing I should try it is the following to lower the output noise level :

Last edited:

DuncanTodd

In my case, both amps are practically in the same position, finally one above the DAC the other on the right ... when I say that the AIYIMA is absolutely silent, even in bluetooth mode I mean : absolutely dead silence even with your ears glued to the speakers....
I see. Well, I'm not a DIYer and didn't replace any parts like to did. You think this could be down to cable or whatever parts are inside the box on the right side? I'm using a pair of old interconnects I had laying around. They seem to be Monster Cable Interlink 400. It's really a very minor issue, but if I can fix it that would be great. I'd love to put the useless cordless phone back there :)

nerone

daniboun, Hope drMorder version 3 with updated 1656 op amp sounds as good as your version 2

daniboun

Major Contributor
I see. Well, I'm not a DIYer and didn't replace any parts like to did. You think this could be down to cable or whatever parts are inside the box on the right side? I'm using a pair of old interconnects I had laying around. They seem to be Monster Cable Interlink 400. It's really a very minor issue, but if I can fix it that would be great. I'd love to put the useless cordless phone back there :)

No idea.... I need to check and make further test this weekend.
In absolute terms, the disturbances are minor and I could use the wired mode but I want my wireless system)

chips666

"Playlist / source : The MA Recordings Audiophiliac HiRez Music Sampler 2020, 24 bit recording"

Thanks for this sampler tip - indeed various good sounding recordings

"My Top 3 amps (I own) :
1- DrMordor TPA3255 last version with LLC PSU and OP amps MC33272
2- Hypex Ncore Dual Mono NC500MP
3- AIYIMA TPA3251 with updated inductors + OPA1656 (external SMPS PSU)."

+1 Enjoying this amp every day - Vitaliy will be very pleased with this feedback

"daniboun, Hope drMorder version 3 with updated 1656 op amp sounds as good as your version 2"

Soon, (hopefully by Christmas) 20 other owners will be very happy with this amp

Enjoy...
;)

Top Bottom