• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

SlothRock

My Neumann KH120’s. Previously my best speakers were Klipsch RP600M’s (bought before I joined here) which I loved but quickly realized the quality differences that were quite drastic once I got the Neumann’s. I still have my 600M’s for my home theater setup - maybe the brand new 600M-II’s will make up for the faults of these ones

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first “wow” experience was with the Thiel CS2 2 at a specialty audio shop in Richmond, VA (I forget the name). I was deeply moved by them as a young man and years later, I acquired a pair of Thiel CS6 speakers of which I am listening right now.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My first “wow” experience was with the Thiel CS2 2 at a specialty audio shop in Richmond, VA (I forget the name). I was deeply moved by them as a young man and years later, I acquired a pair of Thiel CS6 speakers of which I am listening right now.

Awesome! The CS6 is one of my all time favorite speakers! They created one of my "wow" moments at a CES - VAC was using the CS6 in their showroom.

I had the CS6 in my room for a while in the early 2000s.

Did you ever heard any Hales Transcendence speakers? Those are another favorite of mine from back then. The Transcendance 8s were tremendous, among the most tonally pure sounding speakers I've heard. I owned the slightly smaller T5s.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Did you ever heard any Hales Transcendence speakers? ... The Transcendance 8s were tremendous, ... I owned the slightly smaller T5s.

With such names as 'transcendence', CS6, T5s and such, you really think that reasoning about its qualities is reasonable? The pompous naming, repulsive! As if I was a complete idiot. I couldn't make up a sensible judgement only because of the naming.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With such names as 'transcendence', CS6, T5s and such, you really think that reasoning about its qualities is reasonable? The pompous naming, repulsive! As if I was a complete idiot. I couldn't make up a sensible judgement only because of the naming.

Is this a joke?

MarkS

Major Contributor
The original Audio Physic Virgo, which I heard at Stereophile's Hi-Fi '92. The most realistic sounding speakers I had ever heard. Thirty years later, I still have a preference for thin floorstanders.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The original Audio Physic Virgo, which I heard at Stereophile's Hi-Fi '92. The most realistic sounding speakers I had ever heard. Thirty years later, I still have a preference for thin floorstanders.

Yes! One of my all time favorite speakers! I first heard them in the late 90s in NYC and later had them in my home for a while. I think they were also ahead of the curve in terms of aesthetics - one of the first truly fine-looking loudspeakers that would actually add a touch of class to a room, rather than detract.

They set a new standard (for me) for "disappearing speakers" in the way they just vanished in to an expansive soundstage with incredible clarity and detail and imaging. For me, like you, they "left a mark" and I've had an affection for thin floorstanders for a long time. It's no coincidence that I ended up owning Joseph Audi Perspective speakers, which are very Audio Physic-like in proportion.

(I have also had the Audio Physic Libra - follow up to the Virgo - and the Audio Physic Scorpio speakers. They all did that Audio Physic disappearing/soundstaging act)

Those Virgo's can be found for amazing deals used these days. Maybe worth a try? Excepting an upper bass bump, the Virgo actually measured very flat/neutral in Stereophile. (Though perhaps you've moved on to newer ASR-approved speakers...)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Is this a joke?

Or a reflexive provocation? I'd almost be interested to hear why "CS6" is pompous/repulsive—as nomenclature goes, it's about as neutral as it gets—except there's likely nothing coherent behind the bluster.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a reflexive provocation? I'd almost be interested to hear why "CS6" is pompous/repulsive—as nomenclature goes, it's about as neutral as it gets—except there's likely nothing coherent behind the bluster.

Well, I suppose it's possible the founders of Thiel and Hales rode in to town, snatched his family away and burned down his barn. That would at least explain the vehemence of the reaction.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I suppose it's possible the founders of Thiel and Hales rode in to town, snatched his family away and burned down his barn. That would at least explain the vehemence of the reaction.
Touche. That previous dry nasty bitter and rude commentary deserved a good rebuttal.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Yes! One of my all time favorite speakers! I first heard them in the late 90s in NYC and later had them in my home for a while. I think they were also ahead of the curve in terms of aesthetics - one of the first truly fine-looking loudspeakers that would actually add a touch of class to a room, rather than detract.

They set a new standard (for me) for "disappearing speakers" in the way they just vanished in to an expansive soundstage with incredible clarity and detail and imaging. For me, like you, they "left a mark" and I've had an affection for thin floorstanders for a long time. It's no coincidence that I ended up owning Joseph Audi Perspective speakers, which are very Audio Physic-like in proportion.

(I have also had the Audio Physic Libra - follow up to the Virgo - and the Audio Physic Scorpio speakers. They all did that Audio Physic disappearing/soundstaging act)

Those Virgo's can be found for amazing deals used these days. Maybe worth a try? Excepting an upper bass bump, the Virgo actually measured very flat/neutral in Stereophile. (Though perhaps you've moved on to newer ASR-approved speakers...)

Virgo also impressed me (at a Sydney hi-fi shop) after running through a fair number of the B&W 800-series, among others. It was final curved shape, probably Virgo 25. There was a fair bit of "wow, how do these small speakers sound so good" in my head. Couldn't afford them at the time, but later bought a smaller AP model: stereo image was still very nice (for my musical taste at least) when set up correctly.

I've never been quick enough to grab used Virgo (limited supply of most hi-fi gear in Oz) but grabbed AP Codex when a pair came up more recently. Same excellent stereo image, better bass extension, not so warm mid-bass and—being glass-covered and hiding the sub-bass driver inside—quite feline-resistant.

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
Touche. That previous dry nasty bitter and rude commentary deserved a good rebuttal.

There's nothing to rave about these offerings. Technicologically conventional but marketing wise sophisticated some 'wow'. You lean too much towards the receiving side of the business.

Anyway, a 'wow' speaker--why isn't it omnipresent today?! Because it wasn't actually so good ... please invest two seconds of a second thought about it (pun intended). One wow after the other and a next, and you don't feel tired of it? Wow ...

ps "Virgo": "Virgo is one of the constellations of the zodiac.Its name is Latin for maiden, and its old astronomical symbol is (♍︎)." Not pompous?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
"Virgo" ... Its name is Latin for maiden ... Not pompous?

More demure, I reckon ... "fine maiden" would be a more assertive claim, no? :)

naviivan

20years ago:
Eggleston Works - it was either the Isabel or Fontaine
DCS multi box source playing Kelis 'Milkshake" most dynamic thing I have ever heard.
Balance audio Tech (BAT) power amp.

Last 2 years:
Spender BC1 from the late 60's on a Sansui amp. slightly grainy highs bass wasn't tight but I finally understood all the hype when forums go on about the midrange. I spent months looking for a pair....then Covid came and I had to watch my spending.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sparking up a moon rock to compensate for that more than awkward stuff he/she said... lol.

I'm trying to infer the rules for nomenclature he has in mind. Perhaps all consumer items will need to be either named after the founder of the company, or must be some "non-pompous" technical combination of letters and numbers or...?...ah heck, he's even rejected "CS6" as pompous, so apparently he even has something about certain combinations of letters and numbers. My mind tumbles in to the abyss trying to imagine what could be an acceptable name on his criteria.

Imagine trying to please a boss like that! :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to infer the rules for nomenclature he has in mind. Perhaps all consumer items will need to be either named after the founder of the company, or must be some "non-pompous" technical combination of letters and numbers or...?...ah heck, he's even rejected "CS6" as pompous, so apparently he even has something about certain combinations of letters and numbers. My mind tumbles in to the abyss trying to imagine what could be an acceptable name on his criteria.

Imagine trying to please a boss like that! :p
I'm imagining some mental illness or some such issues. This is not expected to be decoded by mere sane mortals...lol. It's gobbledygook rubbish thinking and to expect peeps to understand it is unreasonable so I take it for what it seemed to be and that's garbage in = garbage out. Either that or severe alcohol and keyboard abuse...lol. :D

Top Bottom