• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which is best to power Cornwall Speakers IV? Between these 2 amps

dman777

Between the class a/b McIntosh 8950 and the Luxman 595 class a, which would be a better fit to drive Cornwall speakers IV?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK> Now I see the McIntosh in question and I recommend the McIntosh as the amp to run with your Cornwalls. Yes, it has huge power output which is desired, EQ, VU meters and is a beauty too.
ma8950-angle-usb.jpg

OP
D

dman777

But won't the richness of the class a sound from luxeman make the cornwalls better?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But won't the richness of the class a sound from luxeman make the cornwalls better?
Class A design is nice (I've been there believing with a true class A power amp.) but the difference between a class A and a Class AB when they are both good pieces is tiny and most likely in a blind listening test would not be noticeable. The additional power output of the McIntosh and the EQ will make a very noticeable difference in the sound quality and when you have dynamic music and transients the amp will have much more headroom for those. There's little contest between the two choices in my opinion and I think you should buy the McIntosh. The Luxman is as I said gorgeous and reminds me of the Luxman Champagne Series which I admired too.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
the difference between a class A and a Class AB when they are both good pieces is tiny and most likely in a blind listening test would not be noticeable.
There shouldn't be any audible difference in "sound quality" unless one or both have audible noise. And noise is not necessarily related to class.

With two (or more) completely different designs you can't can't count on the class-A sounding or measuring better. The class A/B amp might perform better, and it's obviously more powerful and more efficient. Class-D is even better in efficiency.

IMO - Class-A is "dumb" for a power amplifier. :p It's OK for a preamp or other applications where output power and energy efficiency are not important.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

All that stuff is audiofool imagination. Cornwall sensitivity is probably in the mid to higher 90s (per watt/meter). I'd subtract a few dB from whatever Klipsch tells you in that department. But whatever it is, they will be easier to drive over a lot that's out there. Your Lux is 30 wpc? That's an awfully small number for an awfully large price. But it's your pocketbook.

Personally, I'd make my choice based on features, cosmetics and warranty/service availability. McMeters are nice to look at, but Lux has models with those, too. At those prices you have options.

FWIW Anecdote: years ago I owned a Yamaha CA-1010--one of their top tier integrateds. Featured a front panel switch allowing the user to select either Class A or A/B. Very convenient for comparing. I couldn't hear any difference at all, at normal listening levels. The downside is that with lower sensitivity loudspeakers, a 30 watt amp will surely clip if pushed harder, in Class A mode.

OP
D

dman777

All that stuff is audiofool imagination. Cornwall sensitivity is probably in the mid to higher 90s (per watt/meter). I'd subtract a few dB from whatever Klipsch tells you in that department. But whatever it is, they will be easier to drive over a lot that's out there. Your Lux is 30 wpc? That's an awfully small number for an awfully large price. But it's your pocketbook.

Personally, I'd make my choice based on features, cosmetics and warranty/service availability. McMeters are nice to look at, but Lux has models with those, too. At those prices you have options.

FWIW Anecdote: years ago I owned a Yamaha CA-1010--one of their top tier integrateds. Featured a front panel switch allowing the user to select either Class A or A/B. Very convenient for comparing. I couldn't hear any difference at all, at normal listening levels. The downside is that with lower sensitivity loudspeakers, a 30 watt amp will surely clip if pushed harder, in Class A mode.
Ya, its really hard to explain. I was in the hifi shop and I heard the Luxman 590AXII class a which is only 30 watts class A.... but it powered the Wilson Sabrina X speakers with no issues, it was pretty loud, and the volume was only at about 30%. Was that because it was class A?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Between the class a/b McIntosh 8950 and the Luxman 595 class a, which would be a better fit to drive Cornwall speakers IV?
For high-sensitivity speakers I'd be looking for ultra low noise as well as low distortion. You wouldn't do much better than a Topping LA90, (class AB), for that. Not to mention that the Topping is small fraction of the price of the offerings you mention.

ta240

Major Contributor
Often, class A amps designers play around with the sound a bit more and don't use much if any feedback. That usually gets labeled as the "class A sound" and is called an 'effects box' here but some people prefer that sound (gasp!). An amp that can switch between the two will have the rest of the circuit design the same so things like feedback and damping factor won't change so the sound should stay the same. Back to the whole "two amps that both perform well on tests will sound the same".

Any difference in crossover distortion by not having the chips running at full all the time will likely not be audible with the quality of modern A/B amps. But just like when someone here gets excited about yet another component with distortion well below the audible level when we already have tons of those, there are non-sound related factors that make people feel good about their purchases. People from both sides of the argument seem to feel better knowing either the numbers are there or the design element is there; even if neither can be heard.

Ya, its really hard to explain. I was in the hifi shop and I heard the Luxman 590AXII class a which is only 30 watts class A.... but it powered the Wilson Sabrina X speakers with no issues, it was pretty loud, and the volume was only at about 30%. Was that because it was class A?
Class A doesn't sound louder; we just use very few watts for even decently loud listening. The more complex and dynamic the music the more it is nice to have the power available to handle it. But for everyday listening most use just a couple watts. Jumping up to a 60 watt amp would just barely be noticeable in the difference for how loud it could play. At normal listening levels my 60 watt A/B amp pulls only about 13 watts from the outlet. At roughly 50% efficiency I'm only using a little bit of its capability. Even going annoyingly loud doesn't make the draw jump that much.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For high-sensitivity speakers I'd be looking for ultra low noise as well as low distortion. You wouldn't do much better than a Topping LA90, (class AB), for that. Not to mention that the Topping is small fraction of the price of the offerings you mention.

Depends. I've used both an AHB-2 and an 8 watt/ch tube amp with fairly sensitive LaScala loudspeakers. Benchmark is exceptionally clean for sure. I actually put my ears next to the horn and didn't hear hiss. But I don't find the tube amp objectionable either, from a noise standpoint. I haven't tried it, but could probably hear some noise if I put my ears next to the throat. But I don't listen that way. YMMV

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Due to their very high efficiency and horn drivers, Cornwalls are one of the few speakers I might want to power with tubes or a hybrid. I'd at least want to try it.

Top Bottom