• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC should i choose for active stereo speakers ?

Krit

Hi, i have question about dac which one would you recommend for active stereo speakers. Max budget is 400€ used or new....

Speakers will be Acoustic Energy AE1 Active. Target is maximum sound quality for that price. Now I have an audio interface Universal Audio Volt 1, but it probably won't be enough for these speakers, right, the built-in DAC is too cheap?

Express your thoughts! Thanks :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just choose the features you need and peruse Amir’s dac reviews/measurements.
Keith

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, i have question about dac which one would you recommend for active stereo speakers. Max budget is 400€ used or new....

Speakers will be Acoustic Energy AE1 Active. Target is maximum sound quality for that price. Now I have an audio interface Universal Audio Volt 1, but it probably won't be enough for these speakers, right, the built-in DAC is too cheap?

Express your thoughts! Thanks :)
They have balanced inputs. Make sure you get a DAC with balanced outputs. Important with active/powered speakers due to the length of interconnect needed, combined with the likely large area ground loop due to speaker spacings.

These speakers also have no DSP built in. It may well be worth considering a DAC/DSP, such as the MiniDSP flex (balanced), if you don't already have DSP upstream of the DAC, though for your budget you'd need to get a used one if going that way.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd definitely go with this Sabaj or dx3 pro+ from topping if the balanced outs aren't necessary

EDIT: noticed that the sabaj is a bit over your budget maximum and if you don't have use for the HP amp feature this would be good balanced dac

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have an audio interface Universal Audio Volt 1, but it probably won't be enough for these speakers, right, the built-in DAC is too cheap?
If you aren't hearing nose you are unlikely to get any sound-quality improvement. (Frequency response and distortion are usually better than human hearing.)

I had a noisy soundcard once but other than that I've never heard any defect/limitations from a "DAC".

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Now I have an audio interface Universal Audio Volt 1, but it probably won't be enough for these speakers, right, the built-in DAC is too cheap?
Looks fine to me:
The AEs have a volume knob, so you should be able to shift the dynamic range as needed. 110 dB(A) pretty much is greater than what the speakers themselves can competently cover though. Or about as much as anyone really needs if dialed in properly (0 dB SPL(A) noise, 110 dB SPL peak).

No, the Volt with its CS4272 DAC is not a record breaker. It's still fine. We're just spoiled with good DACs these days. The things have even become so good that they can drive power amplifiers directly with output noise levels that put many dedicated analog preamps to shame, or serve as measurement-grade audio signal generators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom