• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

djgras

professional equipment : DA / AD

lavry quintessence for DA (ESS Chips ?)
lavry DA924 (R-2R)
Prismsound DA-2 (TDA1547)
Weiss 501/502 (ESS chips + DSP 195 khz)
Emmlabs Meitner DSD ( true one bit )
Hdcd model 2 (multibit pipeline)
Vivaldi one
Merging horus

Aqua Hifi La Scala

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Could it be a good idea to pause the testing of dacs for a while since we already achieved transparant playback in a good number of cases?

How about testing eq software/ hardware instead on transparancy? It should have a greater impact on the end result of a good sounding system and afaik there are not that many reviews. There is the Minidsp flex, roon, but what about CamillaDsp for example? Is it transparent? What about other eq software? And how does it compare to a dsp done in hardware like the minidsp?

RHO

Major Contributor
Weiss 501
I wonder why would anyone be interested in this thing? There's nothing that could ever justify the price knowing that we have perfectly good DACs with better specs at less than a 10th of the price. (and even those are not cheap or more transparent than some DACs we've seen reviewed here)
Measuring those kind of products is a waste of time in my opinion. There is nothing any DAC could do that would make it 10 times more valuable than the top performers we current have.

Willem

Major Contributor
How about testing DAC perfomance of computer motherboards? For a long time these were often not very good, and in laptops in particular, but I hav the distinct impression that the situation has improved. I had a compatibility problem with the ODAC and my new Intel NUC, so I decided to just use the motherboard sound - it does not sound bad at all, and that with a pretty decent desktop system (2x100 watt Quad 405-2 power amp and Harbeth P3ESR speakers). Given the situation there is no way I can do a serious listening test, so I would love to see some measurements of a few typical motherboards like my 10th generation NUC.
Many of us are now working a lot more online, so desktop audio has become more important. Can we now omit one box from our desks and also save a bit of money?

PatF

I would like to see Hegel HD30 but only because I own it. On the other hand I am a bit afraid after what I have seen in Amir's reviews. It is disturbing to see how many so called hi-end dacs perform poorly ....

Scrivs

Forum Donor
SMSL D6 looks like a winner at the price. Was gonna get a D10 Balanced, then thanks to ASR, this popped up on my radar. Should get it tomorrow.

Phrangko

The Aune X5S 8th anniversary digital music player. Not a streamer but I'm more interested in its capability to play digital files via USB. Plus I want to retire my laptop for listening. The noise, more often than not, is a pain to eliminate.

Phrangko

The Aune X5S 8th anniversary digital music player. Not a streamer but I'm more interested in its capability to play digital files via USB. Plus I want to retire my laptop for listening. The noise, more often than not, is a pain to eliminate.
I'm with you. I've funally retired my laptop when the Aune X5s 8th Anniversary edition came up. So easy to use and very responsive.

How does it sound? Clean and glorious. Better than my Node 2i. Aune brags that it's similar to a CD player and it is. Details, clean details. I never stopped praising the X5s. It's that good. The other option is the Topping M50 but I'm glad I chose the Aune. It feels and looks quality. My version is the matte black.

And before I conclude, I'd like to mention that there is a remote which is a regular plastic thing but works fast and the unit is very responsive to it. The boot time is oh so fast. A 1TB HDD is ready to go in about half a minute. Play files directly or via folders no problem. Great product.

Bonus: BT 5.0 transmits music from your files to your BT headphone. Never had me listening to my own flac files wirelessly on a headphone. Some dedicated BT devices do that but this is a digital player. I'm not a headphone guy but I tested it to be sure.

RHO

Major Contributor
Antelope Audio Amari
It's expensive, kinda ugly ... but interesting. Lots of interesting features and connectivity options.
Send one in if you have one.

Handel Sit

I'd like to know more information on HIFI ROSE 150b and AURALIC ATAIR 2.1 as i love both Dacs but i need to decide which one is worth to go for.

Phrangko

I'm with you. I've finally retired my laptop when the Aune X5s 8th Anniversary edition came up. So easy to use and very responsive.

How does it sound? Clean and glorious. Better than my Node 2i. Aune brags that it's similar to a CD player and it is. Details, clean details. I never stopped praising the X5s. It's that good. The other option is the Topping M50 but I'm glad I chose the Aune. It feels and looks quality. My version is the matte black.

And before I conclude, I'd like to mention that there is a remote which is a regular plastic thing but works fast and the unit is very responsive to it. The boot time is oh so fast. A 1TB HDD is ready to go in about half a minute. Play files directly or via folders no problem. Great product.

Bonus: BT 5.0 transmits music from your files to your BT headphone. Never had me listening to my own flac files wirelessly on a headphone. Some dedicated BT devices do that but this is a digital player. I'm not a headphone guy but I tested it to be sure.
Update: On my second week of Aune X5s operation the following were observed:

- The Aune x5s is not tolerant of some files. Idk about this but it skips files in the middle of the song and took a while proceeding to the next song. My Mac plays these same files with ease.

- The BT receiving is a breeze. Sound is normal for aptx. The BT transmitting is quite poor. BS Imo. In a week I was able to connect only one time and as of this writing the BT transmitting has failed to connect. Not good for a audio company who's competing with similarly priced players.

-The remote control suddenly stopped. IR check on a phone camera confirms this. No IR signal can't be observed.

-What will fail next? I'm not sure. I withdraw my praise of the Aune X5s. It'll fail miserably if these observations are not corrected.

-At this point I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Aune X5s 8th Anniversary Edition.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What happened back then and you weren’t able to test it?
(Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0)
I couldn't get it to work with my computer HDMI as a source.

Top Bottom